What's new

India is a Hindu nation, says RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat

So - let me get some clarification. Several posters prior to you have said that regardless of religion Indians should be culturally 'Hindu'. This means that the artifacts of Hindu religion usually dominates culture. An example is that Indians start any new auspicious business venture with a lamp lighting ceremony. In Bangladesh we offer Munajat (prayers). Same I'm guessing in Pakistan.

Bangalore_lamp-lighting_post1.jpg

image_635_146256.jpg

Does this mean then that the Muslim administrators of Aligarh university in India (say if they lay the foundation stone for a new Building at their campus) have to light lamps? Since India is culturally Hindu? If they don't want to - then are they forced to? How do they conduct this ritual that is close to their religious culture?

In Bangladesh (since minorities are allowed to practice their religious freedom) Hindu minorities are free to light lamps, recite shlokas or whatever they desire to inaugurate their auspicious occasion. We in Bangladesh are culturally Muslim majority but we don't go around saying Bangladesh is culturally Muslim, i.e. minorities have to follow Muslim culture. We don't 'impose' our Muslim culture on minorities.

Care to shed some light on this?

Muslims can continue offering their prayers in AMU. Only they will lose any right to ask the Hindus to not light a lamp for any inauguration or perform a puja even for official ceremonies which is where we are heading towards.

Truth be told. At last the confession.

Agree with you. It is nice to be clear about ones identity.

Why not someone kill all these mentality people ;)

I could not make sense of this person's English. Who has to be killed and why??

Muslims can continue offering their prayers in AMU. Only they will lose any right to ask the Hindus to not light a lamp for any inauguration or perform a puja even for official ceremonies which is where we are heading towards.

You know - the Munajat is a 60 second affair. How long is a Puja?

And I suspect the AMU people aren't really begging to have a lamp-lighting performed. Just saying.

Last edited:
So - let me get some clarification. Several posters prior to you have said that regardless of religion Indians should be culturally 'Hindu'. This means that the artifacts of Hindu religion usually dominates culture. An example is that Indians start any new auspicious business venture with a lamp lighting ceremony. In Bangladesh we offer Munajat (prayers). Same I'm guessing in Pakistan.

Bangalore_lamp-lighting_post1.jpg

image_635_146256.jpg

Does this mean then that the Muslim administrators of Aligarh university in India (say if they lay the foundation stone for a new Building at their campus) have to light lamps? Since India is culturally Hindu? If they don't want to - then are they forced to? How do they conduct this ritual that is close to their religious culture?

In Bangladesh (since minorities are allowed to practice their religious freedom) Hindu minorities are free to light lamps, recite shlokas or whatever they desire to inaugurate their auspicious occasion. We in Bangladesh are culturally Muslim majority but we don't go around saying Bangladesh is culturally Muslim, i.e. minorities have to follow Muslim culture. We don't 'impose' our Muslim culture on minorities.

Care to shed some light on this?
There is no code that specifies lighting candles :omghaha: Sometimes both is done and even at times - none. A simple ribbon cutting suffices. It depends from situation to situation.

But to give a clarity - if a new building is established by Jamat in India they definitely won't light candles. :D At the same time lighting candles is a part of Indian culture from time immemorial. So yes, in case a new building comes up at Aligarh, bhittipuja is done and candles are lit. Additionally other ceremonies are held as well.

In any case, the marking of secularism by this standard is laughable at best. In the US the motto is In God We Trust, but US is very secular.

How long is a Puja?
Irrelevant.
If Indians want a puja, there will be a puja. Period. If they want Munajat, it will be done. If someone prevents a puja, the perpetrators are usually detained by the police for the duration of the puja (usually a matter of couple of minutes, marked by lighting a diya and breaking a coconut).

I could not make sense of this person's English. Who has to be killed and why??

You know - the Munajat is a 60 second affair. How long is a Puja?

A few minutes, some times may be an hour, but that is not done everyday. Just on inauguration of some project.

Agree with you. It is nice to be clear about ones identity.

Yep, that's correct. The question is:why all these hypocritical mambo jumbo for all these years? High time you also called yourselves by your true name:Hindustan, the land of the Hindoos.

There is no code that specifies lighting candles :omghaha: Sometimes both is done and even at times - none. A simple ribbon cutting suffices. It depends from situation to situation.

But to give a clarity - if a new building is established by Jamat in India they definitely won't light candles. :D At the same time lighting candles is a part of Indian culture from time immemorial. So yes, in case a new building comes up at Aligarh, bhittipuja is done and candles are lit. Additionally other ceremonies are held as well.

In any case, the marking of secularism by this standard is laughable at best. In the US the motto is In God We Trust, but US is very secular.

Irrelevant.
If Indians want a puja, there will be a puja. Period. If they want Munajat, it will be done. If someone prevents a puja, the perpetrators are usually detained by the police for the duration of the puja (usually a matter of couple of minutes, marked by lighting a diya and breaking a coconut).

Who'd prevent a Puja? I'm surprised to hear such people may exist...and the fact they'd risk detention by the cops :lol:

"Lakum Deen-u-kum Waliyadeen."
'Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.' - Surah Al-Kafiroon 109:1-6

Yep, that's correct. The question is:why all these hypocritical mambo jumbo for all these years? High time you also called yourselves by your true name:Hindustan, the land of the Hindoos.

No there is nothing wrong with calling ourselves India either. That is our identity too. We are Hindustan, Bharat, India all at the same time. Just depends on the language you choose to speak in. All of these names are born of its Hindu identity. India is the anglicized variant of Hind, aka Hindu. Bharat is the legendary King from the Hindu epics. Hindustan is of course the land of Hindus. So there is no confusion as to our name. The only confusion was as to our state policy.

I suspect the AMU people aren't really begging to have a lamp-lighting performed. Just saying.
Who'd prevent a Puja? I'm surprised to hear such people may exist...and the fact they'd risk detention by the cops :lol:

"Lakum Deen-u-kum Waliyadeen."
'Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.' - Surah Al-Kafiroon 109:1-6
There are people like that. :unsure:

I am aware of the quote. But this was the early era - when Muslims were heavily outnumbered and possibly persecuted in Mecca. This was abrogated later on.

In any case - I refuse to indulge any further on theological matters.

I think this ideal Hindustan of all-encompassing Hinduness only exists in the figment of some people's imagination. Most well-educated (meaning not semi-educated) Indians I meet everyday are much more rooted in reality and don't possess such delusions.

In my opinion - the RSS and Shivsena (and other fascist outfits) recruit largely from the ranks of the socially dispossessed and malcontents within Indian society. Malcontents - whose only reason to gain some self respect is by putting other people down, by differences in religion, ethnicity, nationality or culture.

the RSS and Shivsena (and other fascist outfits) recruit largely from the ranks of the socially dispossessed and malcontents within Indian society. Malcontents - whose only reason to gain some self respect is by putting other people down, by differences in religion, ethnicity, nationality or culture.
That's your opinion. Can't say about the SS, but the RSS actually DO NOT recruit from malcontents.

I think this ideal Hindustan of all-encompassing Hinduness only exists in the figment of some people's imagination
...I meet everyday are much more rooted in reality and don't possess such delusions.
You, sir, are mistaken.

That's your opinion. Can't say about the SS, but the RSS actually DO NOT recruit from malcontents.

You, sir, are mistaken.

That I could be. I've been proven wrong before. I am just sharing my first-hand experience, can't really refute it.

In any case I need to find out more about the RSS/Shivsena before I can comment on them.

I think this ideal Hindustan of all-encompassing Hinduness only exists in the figment of some people's imagination. Most well-educated (meaning not semi-educated) Indians I meet everyday are much more rooted in reality and don't possess such delusions.

In my opinion - the RSS and Shivsena (and other fascist outfits) recruit largely from the ranks of the socially dispossessed and malcontents within Indian society. Malcontents - whose only reason to gain some self respect is by putting other people down, by differences in religion, ethnicity, nationality or culture.

You mean malcontent like you who is trying to gain self-respect by putting down Indians now?

Actually, you could not be more wrong about RSS. It is the largest volunteer organization in the world yet how many times does it make any news at all? It is only Digvijay Singh out of some OCD who kept pulling out RSS' name the last few years in his bid for Muslim appeasement why RSS made it to the front pages of any newspaper at all. Otherwise this organization with 50 million membership is hardly ever talked about. Most urban Indians have no clue about it even. So neither their behavior nor their attitude displays any signs of being malcontent or socially dispossessed.

What's so Hindu in lightening the lamp. :what:

Back
Top Bottom