What's new

India in talks to buy Iron Dome, David's Sling

Their is no need for iron dome,it is basically to defend against rocket and artillery shell's,a big problem for Israel as their cities r close to border's,but not a problem for India

Their is no need for iron dome,it is basically to defend against rocket and artillery shell's,a big problem for Israel as their cities r close to border's,but not a problem for India

During peace times India doesn't need it like Israel does but in event of a war, it will be a killer, the whole artillery/shelling of the enemy will be nullified, just think about it it will give our army a dominating upper hand

you need that when an invading army (or a fanatic group of terrorists coming from the sea - you guys have a huge coast line and it cannot be 100% covered all the time) lays a siege to a city and comes with a ammunition dump of cheaply available rockets and artillery being supplied to them by local sleeper cells or guerillas already infiltrated into your areas. After Mumbai, this is a very definite threat you need to prepare for!

You would want such systems to defend your most sensitive installations - Nuclear power stations (one blast there, the region is a disaster), Ports (to cripple a nation's supplies), economic nerve centers (those will be the targets I would go for If I was the terrorist - India's recent clout is only because of those places - hit them and you are dealing with a weakened state).

India definitely needs those systems - even more than the brahmos or the IAC - and am sure the importance is noted in the defense circle (hence they are pursuing the system)

alex,

How do you propose to defend Amritar which is just over 50km from Lahore in case of artillery from **** MRLS? Now, do you see why India needs Iron Dome? I think it is a very wise choice! Don't just go by sensational news reports like $200,000 vs $10,000. Try to see its sphere of application as well.

cheers :tup:

at the expense of India - Muslim animosity!

India dreams itself as USA which can maintain the both because USA is a necessity, India is not except for arabis sheiks may be for cheap labour.

dude what makes u an expert on indian Muslims......... when it comes to religion or country every indian irrespective of Hindu or Muslim or christians or.... any religion will kick off our differences and become one as indians so when it is for the good of country it dosen't matter..... and nice try by the way............

give it a brake man do u have to troll in all the thread and do i have to point out all the time that u troll....... if u are frustrated with india its not our problem..........

During peace times India doesn't need it like Israel does but in event of a war, it will be a killer, the whole artillery/shelling of the enemy will be nullified, just think about it it will give our army a dominating upper hand

You have to be kidding me :blink:. Do you honestly think this system can neutralize PA's artillery? I think you need to understand this system much better, its more designed to counter asymmetric threats and protect a limited area. Its great to place in population centres but i can assure you PA wont be targeting population centres. It will be very potent to counter unguided small rockets such as what Hamas/Hezbollah have but neutralizing conventional artillery, NO CHANCE. Sheer shelling from PA's Artillery can neutralize this system because firing a rocket to neutralize every artillery shell, even the US cannot afford that. Besides, another important tactic your forgetting is that PA can simply fire dummies in hostile territory so the ID can be launched to intercept the dummies. In a conventional war; hundreds of rounds are fired in a matter of minutes, do you honestly think this system stands a chance, I dont think so.

IRON dome or david's whatever is highly exaggerated marketing gimmick IMHO. It is no doubt a technological marvel but i highly doubt its effectiveness in a INDO-PAK scenario. We simply dont face asymmetric threats that Israel does where in Hezbollah tosses a few rockets for their break fast. We dont have terrorism at that level. Any one who is of the view that this system would stop a artillery barrage or MBRL's either doesnt know the power of artillery or is purely overestimating Israeli systems.

I feel its a overkill for India - i would be much happier if India can put in these money for Arrows or improving the green pine or best improving our own EW capabilities.

Last edited:
You wouldn't be asking this question if you and your loved ones were on the other end of the $10,000 rocket.

Point taken, But we are not buying arrow-2 or s-300.

India is a big country and cannot defend all our coast lines and borders with these systems, which is very costly.

Except point defense for vital installations, this system is not serving the purpose for India unlike the manufacturer.

Rgds,

David's Sling can be used againist the Pakistani Babur missile which is a cruise missile so could come in quite handy in times of war.

Last edited:
You have to be kidding me :blink:. Do you honestly think this system can neutralize PA's artillery? I think you need to understand this system much better, its more designed to counter asymmetric threats and protect a limited area. Its great to place in population centres but i can assure you PA wont be targeting population centres. It will be very potent to counter unguided small rockets such as what Hamas/Hezbollah have but neutralizing conventional artillery, NO CHANCE. Sheer shelling from PA's Artillery can neutralize this system because firing a rocket to neutralize every artillery shell, even the US cannot afford that. Besides, another important tactic your forgetting is that PA can simply fire dummies in hostile territory so the ID can be launched to intercept the dummies. In a conventional war; hundreds of rounds are fired in a matter of minutes, do you honestly think this system stands a chance, I dont think so.

Dude....PA starts heavy artillery fire and InA is sitting there watching them fly in amazement:rofl: What do you think WLRs are for? within 30sec your butt is on fire from REAL shells unlike your dummy shells.:rofl: Wow...firing dummy shells is a tactic?!? Seriously, you need Engagement Tactics 101!

India is a big country and cannot defend all our coast lines and borders with these systems, which is very costly.

Except point defense for vital installations, this system is not serving the purpose for India unlike the manufacturer.

Rgds,

Who is talking of defending each and every inch? Why would you even plan to defend a deserted place much less actually defend it?!?:what:

Don't you guys already have s300 and planning for s400?

Dude....PA starts heavy artillery fire and InA is sitting there watching them fly in amazement:rofl: What do you think WLRs are for? within 30sec your butt is on fire from REAL shells unlike your dummy shells.:rofl: Wow...firing dummy shells is a tactic?!? Seriously, you need Engagement Tactics 101!

you should try to read the post to which notorious eagle quoted ,before making a laughing stock of your self!! i guess you should read the operational parameters of a s300,s400 and iron dome...

But Iron dome, Green Pine and Phalcon all contain sanction prone US technology. I can't believe you approve of co-development and license production of such, considering your stringent opposition to F-teens procurement your position on Iron dome and Israeli procurement in general is baffling. :blink:

As far as I know David's Sling is a co-development but Iron Dome is an Israeli development, also where is the point in sanctioning a missile, after we already got it? We don't need spares for it like a figher, or an aircraft would need and we used the Paveway LGB kits that we bought from you during Kargil war too, although you sanctioned us and even delivered faulty parts. So there is a huge difference, but I don't think you really care, because you just try to distract as usual from all the other disadvantages the F18SH offers. ;)

Once again, offer something that is really the best choice for India, with reasonable agreements and I will support it, just like I support the Apache in the combat helicopter competition.

Rgds,

Different missiles for different roles mate! While Iron dome can defend sensible targets from artillery, David Sling could be a very important addition to counter the cruise missile threat. Pakistan and China have good capabilities in this field and we have to counter them with arms like this. Also the size difference alone should make clear that these missiles have another aim than an S300 system don't you think?

at the expense of India - Muslim animosity!

India dreams itself as USA which can maintain the both because USA is a necessity, India is not except for arabis sheiks may be for cheap labour.
Call it whatever you fancy-- we are already an explicitly neutral country and hence don't involve in others' conflicts. Our relations with Israel is excellent and we intend to keep it like that. For your notice, India is not a Muslim country and is neither interested to be one. Here were think of only national interests that are essentially factors like:

- economics
- military/defence
- education
- finance
- healthcare
- industrial growth
- social development
- foreign relations based on pragmatic tangible facts

So take your pick.

Back
Top Bottom