What's new

India Got it's First Medal at Rio!!!!! Second on the way.........

FB_IMG_1471622743216.jpg

Well played Sister!
I can only wish my daughter grows up to become like you someday!

1.25 billion Indians = No sense of introspection at all.
Overjoyed with 2 medals?

CqO7MsVWgAAbDUI.jpg

1.25 billion Indians = No sense of introspection at all.
Overjoyed with 2 medals?
I said this earlier in another thread but the reasons are very clear, traditionally, there just has been no culture of sports in our country. For all sports, one needs to start young, and we have no infrastructure at the grassroots school level for the majority of the population, save for a few private schools in the big cities, the majority of kids grow up going to schools with no facilities, no qualified trainers and coaches, and no competition.

but, I said traditionally, which means things are slowly changing, the handful of people who do manage a medal despite the way things are, help a long way in bringing attention, and with that, much needed sponsorship money and interest.

2 medals for 1.3 billion people is not a valid dis, one must factor in other variables that go into making a pool of athletes who are capable of winning medals at the big stage.

slow and steady is fine by me, I want an organic process where everything and everyone in the country improves and that reflects in a medal count, and not be like some others who almost torture their little kids to extract performance.

Really ? :what:

We (a country of 20 million) got 4 (1G,1S,2B) and is considered the most disastrous OLympic participation in our history.The head of our OLympic Federation allready resigned and the journalists are all screaming more heads of national chiefs of federations to roll....

In India there is some fundamental issues .Lack of facilities ,lack of investment and encouragement ,cricket obsession .etc are the real problems.
Our cricket players are some richest in the world .
So it is not about funding ,but priority and interest of our people.
But things are changing rapidly .
You can see out come in near future

Congrats to Sindhu.. She played good.. Opponent was still a notch above her..Carolina Marin trains with all men players as back home not many good women players are there.. Similarly here Sindhu under the eyes of Gopichand (oh yes Gopi sir academy in gachibowli) will become much better as a player with more such experience and better pressure handling abilities...

One small thing i noticed is that the wishes and expectations of 1.25 Billion Indians and all media carrying wishes with government , big personalities of all fields and everybody wishing actually creates a massive pressure cooker scenario. I guess this played on her mind.. Even best players like Sachin or Kohli or Bindra felt the expectation burden a lot at times.

If you really see Sindhu's game today, the pressure was telling at many points of the game.. Carolina was trying to dictate the pace of the game after her 1st set fiasco by keeping Rallies short and always trying to find openings to play a smooth drop shot and catch Sindhu awkward. Sindhu otoh was very good on rallys.. Cross the rally over 20 shots and Carolina fumbles..

Both sides made lots of errors.. Especially Sindhu which was a bit sad for us as she played very very good to reach finals and fought her way through the first set inspite of those errors. Sindhu's height makes her look at her left court judgement a bit weak especially with Marin using Angular push and drop shots and that was exploited by Carolina so full marks on that. Carolina if her rhythm gets disturbed during long volleys fail a lot with her own wrong shot power selection, this was exploited by Sindhu but not consistently. in the end it was all about handling pressure and a game of nerves and experience.

Notice small points like continuous self talk by Marin, constantly asking for shuttle change, towel time or trying to clean court.. all to disturb opponent pace, rhythm and use every extra second of rest to recharge her battery.. now thats a very very smart way of playing .. ruthless but than all under fair play rules.. Sindhu should learn it also as she kept complaining to the Umpire from Australia and Marin got warnings but these tactics are like Mind Games..Only the strong minds prevail..

Overall a fitting final of over 1 hour plus pure classic badminton... Loved it...

I hope to see more such games of Sindhu in future..

@dadeechi : Bro, if i get diabetes i am saying in front of all PDF folks, i will hold you responsible.. You actually make me crave for sweets with your tempting mithai pictures.. Those jalebis of the other day post, i still remember and how i hogged next day 500 gms all by myself shows up in my weighing scale...

But yes today everyone deserve a sweet.. Hope more daughters of our Country take up sports and bring laurels to our country....

Back
Top Bottom