What's new

India, France sign $6 bn deal on Surface to Air Missile

Joint Statement issued by India and France during the State Visit of President of France to India
The Leaders reiterated their desire to cooperate in high technology programmes and projects in the defence sector which would include joint research and development and transfer of technology. In this connection, the Leaders noted that the projects for the Scorpene submarine and upgrade of the Mirage 2000 are moving forward and steps are being taken for early finalization of the SRSAM Project. Both sides noted the progress of ongoing negotiations on the MMRCA programme and look forward to their conclusion. The Leaders reaffirmed their interest in continuing their cooperation in combating piracy in the Gulf of Aden and other areas.

Can some one connect the dots between what's stated in the Joint Statement and Headline :undecided:

In the name of defence, we are spending money like water. This is really frightening me now.

Until now, we were throwing money only on Russians, now we throwing money on the Americans Israelis and the French too and that too by the truckloads.

This reminds me of the dance bars where a man works hard for the entire month, gets his salary on the first of the month, goes to the dance bar and blows it all off on the dancers and reaches home half drunk and "compeletly kangaal" :rofl:

This is because we were sleeping like KUMBHAKARN for last 2 decades, but as says.....jb neend khule tab savera......so cheer up bro...:tup:

This is because we were sleeping like KUMBHAKARN for last 2 decades, but as says.....jb neend khule tab savera......so cheer up bro...:tup:

Yaa but dont become kangaal in the process.

exactly thanks buddy its just starting four years down the line even china will be very very concerened as for PAF its still not in the leauge then it will be as potent as the easterwhile bangla desh rifels was :cheers:

French seems to be betting big and considering this JV, its win-win situation.

6 Billion for a SRSAM project...for cying out loud thats not even the defense budget of a lot of countries, Russia or NATO would have installed a number of BMD batteries for that sum.

Hollande must be over the moon. Anyway first day discussions have gone to the script and as expected.

Its unwise to comment on the total value of the deal before knowing what type of technology it comes with.

This is a whole new missile, IMO not a development of existing system. So R&D cost will be shared.

I wonder if IA could deploy it on a tracked/wheeled platform for mobile air defense...Im confused about IN's interest, they already have 12km-ranged Barak-1 that is a very good SAM as of today's technological scenario. Maybe IN wants to replace Barak-1 with Maitri in future in VLS-launched form.

@anyone

Any idea how many we would build?

Its unwise to comment on the total value of the deal before knowing what type of technology it comes with.

This is a whole new missile, IMO not a development of existing system. So R&D cost will be shared.

I wonder if IA could deploy it on a tracked/wheeled platform for mobile air defense...Im confused about IN's interest, they already have 12km-ranged Barak-1 that is a very good SAM as of today's technological scenario. Maybe IN wants to replace Barak-1 with Maitri in future in VLS-launched form.

@anyone

@sancho

Hi it just struck me, maybe IN wants it for launching from submarines instead of Mica SAM..?

Last edited by a moderator:

I wonder if IA could deploy it on a tracked/wheeled platform for mobile air defense...Im confused about IN's
interest, they already have 12km-ranged Barak-1 that is a very good SAM as of today's technological scenario.
Maybe IN wants to replace Barak-1 with Maitri in future in VLS-launched form.

@anyone

Hi it just struck me, maybe IN wants it for launching from submarines instead of Mica SAM..?

No, this based on unsung hero Trishul, whole mechanical mechanism is based on trishul to reduce cost of development while MBDA is providing guidance system.
I have my doubt over IA's procurement over these missile, while I think IAF would place 30+ system of that & IN would put one system in every ship so for IN could order more than 20 in over all.

Can you explain lower part plz.

No, this based on unsung hero Trishul, whole mechanical mechanism is based on trishul to reduce cost of development while MBDA is providing guidance system.
I have my doubt over IA's procurement over these missile, while I think IAF would place 30+ system of that & IN would put one system in every ship so for IN could order more than 20 in over all.

Can you explain lower part plz.

I meant that IN may want Maitri for submarine-based air defence (read about sub-launched Mica SAM),
considering they already have the capable Barak-1 system for ship-based short-range air defence...

PS - Any source for that info? I don't think Trishul would be a modern frame for
mounting all the latest electronic stuff. And besides, I don't think could be canisterised.

Back
Top Bottom