What's new

India firming up military ties with Vietnam will offer Varunastra Torpedo

why heavy weight torpedo? is it about the range? the warhead?

got it. congrat. I think we need more than just torpedo. platforms that can launch it. warships and submarines. and airplanes that can detect enemy subs.

@Carlosa

I think cheapest anti sub aerial platform are the Russian ASW helicopters like Ka-27 which I believe Vietnam Navy already operates.

Yes you need more platforms in general to host these weapons. I think Vietnam should have a few heavy MPA based on a boeing or airbus platform, I think you got some medium MPA (M-28 Skytruck) already though I am not sure what sensors were installed on these.

The best India can offer right now for dedicated ASW technology is the Karmorta ASW "corvette" which Philippines recently selected for their ASW platform. I don't know if Vietnam is interested, but I think its a good fit for ASW operations in the area.

I think cheapest anti sub aerial platform are the Russian ASW helicopters like Ka-27 which I believe Vietnam Navy already operates.

Yes you need more platforms in general to host these weapons. I think Vietnam should have a few heavy MPA based on a boeing or airbus platform, I think you got some medium MPA (M-28 Skytruck) already though I am not sure what sensors were installed on these.

The best India can offer right now for dedicated ASW technology is the Karmorta ASW "corvette" which Philippines recently selected for their ASW platform. I don't know if Vietnam is interested, but I think its a good fit for ASW operations in the area.
our navy operates Ka-28, to be precise, on Gepard frigates. but we need more warships, more airplanes. also, I have heard of numerous discussions on many things not only brahmos. hope on many fruitful cooperations and deals.

gepard-39_2_isp_2.jpg

gepard1.jpg

truc-thang-ka28-sat-thu-san-ngam-tren-bien-dong_201656925.jpg

Vietnam has an army larger than even India despite having less than half its population. Some countries have far higher defence expenditures compared to even our Pakistan. I have to ask if all this money on salaries could be spent for the greater good of the people.

Vietnam has an army larger than even India despite having less than half its population.

Atleast check the facts before writing such comparisons. Makes no sense.

Or you are just unhappy with vietnam engaging with India?

Some countries have far higher defence expenditures compared to even our Pakistan. I have to ask if all this money on salaries could be spent for the greater good of the people.

Social progress and economic development in Vietnam is quite advanced compared to Pakistan.

They also are in much better financial shape than Pakistan. So their military spending puts far less strain on their economy compared to Pakistan which struggles to go above 4 - 5% GDP growth each year (from much lower per capita base) and now seems to be entirely dependent on CPEC succeeding.

Besides Vietnam spends about 2.3% of its GDP on military compared to 3.5% for Pakistan. Its not wise to criticize them from a precarious position like yours.

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/MS.MIL.XPND.GD.ZS

Social progress and economic development in Vietnam is quite advanced compared to Pakistan.

They also are in much better financial shape than Pakistan. So their military spending puts far less strain on their economy compared to Pakistan which struggles to go above 4 - 5% GDP growth each year (from much lower per capita base) and now seems to be entirely dependent on CPEC succeeding.

Besides Vietnam spends about 2.3% of its GDP on military compared to 3.5% for Pakistan. Its not wise to criticize them from a precarious position like yours.

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/MS.MIL.XPND.GD.ZS
Their military to population ratio is far higher than ours despite. If Pakistan has unequivocally looked after defence then India is guilty of it too as is any other country. Singling Pakistan out here is not fair.

Their military to population ratio is far higher than ours despite. If Pakistan has unequivocally looked after defence then India is guilty of it too as is any other country. Singling Pakistan out here is not fair.

Well singling out any country is not fair. Every country has its set of geopolitical threats and considerations from its perspective....and it has the right to address these reasonably as it sees fit.

Very few you have mentioned are on the level of the brutal North Korea anyway.

For the general comparisons, you can pick and choose all kinds of metrics to say one is less militarized than the other...does not mean anything without looking at the overall situation...and Pakistan is definitely more financially precarious and less stable because of it from a military standpoint compared to both Vietnam and India.

Vietnam has an army larger than even India despite having less than half its population. Some countries have far higher defence expenditures compared to even our Pakistan. I have to ask if all this money on salaries could be spent for the greater good of the people.
Good Thinking, same here

Bro I wonder where you got such wrong figure. Vietnam has less than 100 millions people, a standing army of less than 600,000, a defense budget less than Singapore and Indonesia. Countries facing less threats than us. If today the Chinese reduce their aggressive posture, tomorrow we will cut our defense budget by half.

Arming our No:1 enemy's enemy with mediocre weapons is not a good choice, let us offer them brahmos,shivalic class,kamrota class not this one ,or offer them high quality satellite imagery for free of cost. Offer them our military grade IRNSS signals etc.
Look at China,what they did?they even sell few nuclear capable ballistic missile to Pakistan in past.

Arming our No:1 enemy's enemy with mediocre weapons is not a good choice, let us offer them brahmos,shivalic class,kamrota class not this one ,or offer them high quality satellite imagery for free of cost. Offer them our military grade IRNSS signals etc.
Look at China,what they did?they even sell few nuclear capable ballistic missile to Pakistan in past.

Give it time bro....Vietnam is no pushover either :D

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom