What's new

India fares poorly in global learning study

Oh everybody in India does know that the education system if f..d up alright. However the change needed isn't being pushed up on. Too much theory and less practical exposure is the problem right now. The Educational ministry needs a kick in the rear end and a hard one too. However i have the confidence that once some severe jolt comes up the people will move in the right direction and it will be a surprise for many, because most of us are laid back in such issues :D

The thread was opened before by a chinese and the topic was discussed to death but the never dying troll urge forced chinese to come back again with the same topic (True sign of High IQ)

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/147337-indias-best-brightest-students-dominate-world-ranking-3.html

It got closed after Chinese IQ troll brigade struck it with their usual trash comments(or I must say high IQ comments as per their standards).. Some of those Chinese who commented on that thread are back here again and crying river about bashing threads being opened against China.. how sad :(

Roybot posted some good comments that addressed the topic on the thread and since the topic has reemerged these are quite relevant here too..

Errr this was expected wasn't it? Besides folks from rural schools of Tamil Nadu and Himachal Pradesh aren't India's best and brightest. Its unfair to make them do the test in English.

Secondly Indian students probably don't even care about this test. Knowing Indian students, if it is not going to reflect in your year 10 marks or year 12 marks no one will care about it. If the education board decides to give 5-10% weighting to PISA scores towards year 10 or year 12 marks, then watch these scores shoot up.

If you have to compre the best and brightest compare the kids from Delhi to Shanghai or Kids from Mumbai to Shanghai or kids from Kota

Enjoy your trolling and bragging rights in the mean time

Mark Schneider, a commissioner of the Department of Education’s research arm in the George W. Bush administration, who returned from an educational research visit to China on Friday, said he had been skeptical about some PISA results in the past. But Mr. Schneider said he considered the accuracy of these results to be unassailable.

“The technical side of this was well regulated, the sampling was O.K., and there was no evidence of cheating,” he said.

Mr. Schneider, however, noted some factors that may have influenced the outcome.

For one thing, Shanghai is a huge migration hub within China. Students are supposed to return to their home provinces to attend high school, but the Shanghai authorities could increase scores by allowing stellar students to stay in the city, he said. And Shanghai students apparently were told the test was important for China’s image and thus were more motivated to do well, he said.

“Can you imagine the reaction if we told the students of Chicago that the PISA was an important international test and that America’s reputation depended on them performing well?” Mr. Schneider said. “That said, China is taking education very seriously. The work ethic is amazingly strong.”

India is not that rich country,but we are getting there in future we will invest more in research activities have good infra for colleges retain good professors with big salaries.

Things will get on track automatically.

education system in India is indeed archaic and much needs to be done to reform this sector.

i know the private schools do it the problem here is with the govt schools in India-Pak-BD the best solution would be to make changes to the present madhyamic curriculum & adopting to make it more compatible with the GCSE/IGCSE syllabus i have seen as a student of GSCE myself the kids from south Asia adjust to the British syllabus easily for eg : in my school in jeddah the toppers were from indo-pak regions in fact among the top 5 list included students of whom two were south indians,two pakistanis & 1 bangladeshi all of them passed with distinctions from the British council i think one even got an offer for scholarship

i know the private schools do it the problem here is with the govt schools in India-Pak-BD the best solution would be to make changes to the present madhyamic curriculum & adopting to make it more compatible with the GCSE/IGCSE syllabus i have seen as a student of GSCE myself the kids from south Asia adjust to the British syllabus easily for eg : in my school in jeddah the toppers were from indo-pak regions in fact among the top 5 list included students of whom two were south indians,two pakistanis & 1 bangladeshi all of them passed with distinctions from the British council i think one even got an offer for scholarship

You know the best thing about Western education system is that i hear they concentrate more on practical learning than memorizing and scoring max marks in exams like we do here. I mean that is definitely better isn't it? the kid can open his mind more and in the process discover more than through memorizing with a cane hanging over his head.

Also the parents should understand that just scoring marks doesn't mean you succeed in life. The way they ingrain children with the mantra that "max marks means better life" is really horrific.

One more important deficiency educational system lacks is proper counselling, i mean the uncle or father or aunt finds that their son or neighbours son has done engineering and is well settled in USA or some other place and they start pestering the kid to take up the subject, even if he wants commerce. Man it can get very cruel at this stage u know. Awareness issues and myopic views really hit hard.

China is having a Talented Breed
India is having Lazy Breed but they pretend to be Talented
Pakistan has Lazy Talented Inheritance But They Pretend to be Curropted.

That Was A Burn for Ind Pak both , cuz they believe exactly who they are not

Chinese in that phenomena are talented coz they know the truth , their syrength and weaknesses

they actually know who they are ,

so It will take a century to be realistic after WW3 i guess, India has nothing but quantity, pakistan always outnumbered
china always trying to help pakistan to save his garden from black storms of international threats,

Good Bless all the mentalities

You know the best thing about Western education system is that i hear they concentrate more on practical learning than memorizing and scoring max marks in exams like we do here. I mean that is definitely better isn't it? the kid can open his mind more and in the process discover more than through memorizing with a cane hanging over his head.

Also the parents should understand that just scoring marks doesn't mean you succeed in life. The way they ingrain children with the mantra that "max marks means better life" is really horrific.

One more important deficiency educational system lacks is proper counselling, i mean the uncle or father or aunt finds that their son or neighbours son has done engineering and is well settled in USA or some other place and they start pestering the kid to take up the subject, even if he wants commerce. Man it can get very cruel at this stage u know. Awareness issues and myopic views really hit hard.

Absolutely agree. Almost in every thread like this the Chinese, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis & Indians do a lot of chest thumping about how great the kids of their respective origins are doing well in US, UK or in their own country and how they beat the westerners in Science blah blah..but when Nobels are announced, I don't find any South Asian or Chinese among them and even if there are some, they studied and done their research in Western countries.

Ind Pak are not meant to do somehting for the world nor for themselves
i will not consider urban population
but we all know our rural village lives
worst than evr day be day

we are losing it what we made it for,

have u ever thought if pak india wud not be using billions on defence
how much better nation wud be served

no........

we are always appreciate the jf thunder and u always do to LCA

but wud those will bring happiness to our nation.

if that will ... in terms of killing other humans .... its pathetic

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Americans are united breed of all the twisted races in the world

so the competition is not with american , its like with whole world.

if u dont get it , go an check american history,,,, haha

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

Absolutely agree. Almost in every thread like this the Chinese, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis & Indians do a lot of chest thumping about how great the kids of their respective origins are doing well in US, UK or in their own country and how they beat the westerners in Science blah blah..but when Nobels are announced, I don't find any South Asian or Chinese among them and even if there are some, they studied and done their research in Western countries.

Americans are united breed of all the twisted races in the world

so the competition is not with american , its like with whole world.

if u dont get it , go an check american history,,,, haha

Well i think regarding Nobel prize, it has to do with funding for research also along with the zeal for finding new things which cannot be inculcated in our South Asian children due to factors i mentioned before. Here generally funding for research is thought to be as good as throwing money down the drain.

Back
Top Bottom