What's new

India English growth 'too slow'

DesiGuy

Reaction score
Country
United States
India is falling behind countries such as China in its attempts to increase the use of English among its population, a new report says.

The study by the British Council says a "huge shortage" of teachers and quality institutions is hampering India despite a growing demand for English skills.

The study says China may now have more people who speak English than India.

India's emergence as a major software and IT hub has in part been possible due to its English-educated workers.

'Poor English'

The study, English Next India, by British author David Gradoll says English is a "casualty of wider problems in Indian education".

BBC NEWS | South Asia | India English growth 'too slow'

India is falling behind countries such as China in its attempts to increase the use of English among its population, a new report says.

The study by the British Council says a "huge shortage" of teachers and quality institutions is hampering India despite a growing demand for English skills.

The study says China may now have more people who speak English than India.

India's emergence as a major software and IT hub has in part been possible due to its English-educated workers.

'Poor English'

The study, English Next India, by British author David Gradoll says English is a "casualty of wider problems in Indian education".

BBC NEWS | South Asia | India English growth 'too slow'

Duplicated thread, mods please merge.

Chinese can never compete with Indians even if 100% of its population speaks English in this mattter.

Blame the chinese accent :):victory::chilli::chilli:
Hi,
seriously! i am going to pretend an Indian guy didn't try to point out others have strange accents.

Recognize him? :azn:

Hi,
seriously! i am going to pretend an Indian guy didn't try to point out others have strange accents.

Recognize him? :azn:

Well it is similar to the Pakistani Accent now is it not! After it is the subcontinent effect - I have stayed in Canada for more than 4 years so please I know what the reality is and I am PROVIDING YOU WITH A FIRST HAND ACCOUNT!

Chinese can never compete with Indians even if 100% of its population speaks English in this mattter.

you speak as if every indian speaks fluent, bbc-news-reporter english.

Average Indian English is heavily accented. We are on the path to changing that, but indian pronunciation is usually wrong. Example, we emphasise the letter 'R' after a vowel. English pronunciation in India differs state to state. I have heard certain indians pronounce 'zero' as 'jeerro'.

Everyone will have different accents affecting their English. Even Aussies, Scots and Americans, whose first language is English, speak with a different accent to the English. Most people will take a different accent in stride, instead of teasing the person about it.

English must grow as the linking Language of India and World.
I was watching TV few hours back and I so Some are Projecting Hindi as if it is going to replace English as Global language..Err No! :)

Frankly, english is important in this world. But the nation language is more important than english. Indian should focus on encouraging people to speak nation language like hindi and the others. When I was in india, I noticed that some indian look down upon indian who cant speak english, it seems they feel shame to speak indian national language. It is a very sad thing.

Only Indian are proud to speak English!!!!

Chinese learn English to communicate with other races....

Indian accent sounds funny.......

Only Indian are proud to speak English!!!!

Chinese learn English to communicate with other races....

Indian accent sounds funny.......

Not funnier than the Chinese accent!

What do you think Indians talk in English within their homes as well!

Its the universal language in todays day and age and the Indians recognized that much before the Chinese did!

Back
Top Bottom