What's new

India developing sub-sonic 1,000-km range cruise missile 'Nirbhay': DRDO chief

I was surprised to discover the Raytheon ESSM brochure actually mentions the Brahmos by name :eek:

http://www.raytheon.com/capabilitie...cuments/content/rtn_rms_ps_essm_datasheet.pdf
Probably a sale pitch to lure customer such as Pakistan because other than China and Pakistan, against whom India will field Brahmos? and Raytheon will sell its systems to China is not very likely an option. Anyway, it would have been more reasonable to include the name of P-800 Oniks/Yakhont from which Brahmos is derived and which is in use by Americas/allies enemies such as Iran, Vietnam and Indonesia.

How can you claim superiority over a system that is not yet built?

Patriot, Stinger or Mistral are all SAM's or surface to air missiles that are quite capable of intercepting cruise missiles, in fact the makers of Stinger Raytheon have this to say....
http://www.raytheon.com/capabilitie...ts/content/rtn_rms_ps_navstinger_datashee.pdf

Claims on a system which is yet to be fielded is idiotic IMHO.

Almost all sams intercept CMs,which is not an alien technology.Even Akash and Tishul does that.
Reaction times of both akash and Trishul were 15 sec and 5-6 sec respectively.this includes detection to launch of the missile.In the 15th and 6th sec, missile has to leave the MAL.

while Raytheon ESSM has a reaction time of 6-8 sec.The moment from detection of target,cueing and initiating missile launch.At the same time Brahmos will be in seakskimming mode during the last 25 sec at a mach 2.8 speed. It will be the one who evades the counter measures and hit the target first wins. Was sick of explaining its LO and other features.

And unfortunately,only american capital ships like Aegis were equipped with automatic cueing systems, while others are not :P
Raytheon was recently awarded a contract to make everything automatic with COTS thereby reducing the timeframe.

Probably a sale pitch to lure customer such as Pakistan because other than China and Pakistan, against whom India will field Brahmos? and Raytheon will sell its systems to China is not very likely an option. Anyway, it would have been more reasonable to include the name of P-800 Oniks/Yakhont from which Brahmos is derived and which is in use by Americas/allies enemies such as Iran, Vietnam and Indonesia.

ESSM customers include United States,Australia,Canada, Germany, Greece, Japan, Denmark, The Netherlands,and Norway. Countries in the process of integrating ESSM are New Zealand, Spain, Turkey, and the United Arab Emirates. The claim of success is based on extensive testing against MQM-8 Vandal, Boeing/Zvezda-Strela MA-31 and GQM-163A Coyote employed as non-recoverable target vehicle.

580px-Coyote_flt.jpg

The Boeing/Zvezda-Strela is especially interesting since it is based on the the Russian AS-17 Krypton a member of the Yakhont/Brahmos family purchased from the Russians in the mid 90's.

I've said this before a supersonic anti-ship cruise missile is not a new concept, self respecting navies all over the world have had effective counter measures for at least a decade.

ESSM customers include United States,Australia,Canada, Germany, Greece, Japan, Denmark, The Netherlands,and Norway. Countries in the process of integrating ESSM are New Zealand, Spain, Turkey, and the United Arab Emirates. The claim of success is based on extensive testing against MQM-8 Vandal, Boeing/Zvezda-Strela MA-31 and GQM-163A Coyote employed as non-recoverable target vehicle.

The Boeing/Zvezda-Strela is especially interesting since it is based on the the Russian AS-17 Krypton a member of the Yakhont/Brahmos family purchased from the Russians in the mid 90's.

I've said this before a supersonic anti-ship cruise missile is not a new concept, self respecting navies all over the world have had effective counter measures for at least a decade.

Ever since India has Brahmos, no other countries has counter measures against supersonic Brahmos. Before Brahmos was fielded, yes. Afterwards, no. Well, at least no one countering Brahmos has ability to shoot it down. Why? Because its not the technology behind the missile, but the fact that its from India that has everyone scared.

Ever since India has Brahmos, no other countries has counter measures against supersonic Brahmos. Before Brahmos was fielded, yes. Afterwards, no. Well, at least no one countering Brahmos has ability to shoot it down. Why? Because its not the technology behind the missile, but the fact that its from India that has everyone scared.

I was surprised to see how people resent me for debunking several myths about the Brahmos. I'm not sure I understand why Indian members are so fixated on the Brahmos when they have other much more remarkable scientific developments to be proud of?

Last edited:
I was surprised to see how people resent me for debunking several myths about the Brahmos. I'm not sure I understand why Indian members are so fixated on the Brahmos when they have other much more remarkable scientific developments to be proud of?

What myth did you debunk?...everyone knows Bhramos isnt Godsent...it can be intercepted..but by a very few systems in this world which are inaccessible to our adversaries. some times even a man armed with an AA can shoot down the Bhramos. But the probablity of kill might be very low.

Our major Adversaries in the region are Pakistan and China. Do they possess anything close to ESSM or the SM3? Or atleast the Barak? Nothing, zilch, nada. So in this region the Bhramos reigns supreme. And If the Americans plan to attack India then we might be facing some problems...but by the time relations sour that much then newer weapons and counters would have been developed and we would be bragging about hard kill and soft kill capabilities of those systems. And if anyone thinks Bhramos, Raptor or anything cant be brought down then they are delusional. That goes to my countrymen and others too.

The Boeing/Zvezda-Strela is especially interesting since it is based on the the Russian AS-17 Krypton a member of the Yakhont/Brahmos family purchased from the Russians in theThe Boeing/Zvezda-Strela is especially interesting since it is based on the the Russian AS-17 Krypton a member of the Yakhont/Brahmos family purchased from the Russians in the mid 90's.

AS-17 Krypton / Kh-31 FAMILY | Russian Arms, Military Technology, Analysis of Russia's Military Forces

SS-N-26 Yakhont/Oniks P-800 | Russian Arms, Military Technology, Analysis of Russia's Military Forces

I tried hard but can you find and tell me what is the similarities between these 2 systems? And Yakhont came out into service only by 1999.

What myth did you debunk?...everyone knows Bhramos isnt Godsent...it can be intercepted..but by a very few systems in this world which are inaccessible to our adversaries. some times even a man armed with an AA can shoot down the Bhramos. But the probablity of kill might be very low.

Our major Adversaries in the region are Pakistan and China. Do they possess anything close to ESSM or the SM3? Or atleast the Barak? Nothing, zilch, nada. So in this region the Bhramos reigns supreme. And If the Americans plan to attack India then we might be facing some problems...but by the time relations sour that much then newer weapons and counters would have been developed and we would be bragging about hard kill and soft kill capabilities of those systems. And if anyone thinks Bhramos, Raptor or anything cant be brought down then they are delusional. That goes to my countrymen and others too.

Here is a list of comparable missiles to ESSM:

HQ-17 · HQ-7 (FM-80) · HQ-64 (LY-60) · HQ-6 · HQ-61 · TY-90 · DK-9 · CQW-2 · FLS-1 · FLG-1 · FLV-1 · FL-2000(V) · SG-2 ADS · LS ADS · YT ADS · FB-6A · FL-3000N · HN-5C · TD-2000 · TD-2000B

those are our short range SAMs. they'd be quite enough to intercept Brahmos.

HQ-17 · HQ-7 (FM-80) · HQ-64 (LY-60) · HQ-6 · HQ-61 · TY-90 · DK-9 · CQW-2 · FLS-1 · FLG-1 · FLV-1 · FL-2000(V) · SG-2 ADS · LS ADS · YT ADS · FB-6A · FL-3000N · HN-5C · TD-2000 · TD-2000B

u forgot to add ur stones and arrows.We would have believed that also.

unfortunately it is india closer to the stone age. many of your farmers unlike ours do not have access to vaccination, clean water, irrigation, hybrid crop technology, fertilizer, pesticide or schooling. instead india carries out agriculture, and presumably defense research as well, much like it did 8000 years ago in the stone age. lifespans in india and infant mortalities are also close to stone age levels.

unfortunately it is india closer to the stone age. many of your farmers unlike ours do not have access to vaccination, clean water, irrigation, hybrid crop technology, fertilizer, pesticide or schooling. instead india carries out agriculture, and presumably defense research as well, much like it did 8000 years ago in the stone age. lifespans in india and infant mortalities are also close to stone age levels.

I talked stone and u went into the stone age,it entails who is closer to stone age.

http://www.raytheon.com/capabilitie...cuments/content/rtn_rms_ps_essm_datasheet.pdf

RIM-161 SM-3 (AEGIS Ballistic Missile Defense)

AN/SPY-1 Radar

Do you have anything comparable to these? Then you can talk about CM and BM defence. Right now you need to develop more than what you have to defeat the Bhramos and I dont know about the Nirbhay as it aint ready yet.

what does this have to do with a Sub-Sonic cruise missile thread? So because of all these the missile if launched on you wont explode or bring down a building? If you are here to troll can you please use the door?

Our Ayurvedic treatments are stone age aswell, but It even cures the last stage of cancer..... Our ISRO is stone age, it has only launched 10 satellites at a time which no one could do,and found water on moon.... But wait what has these things got to do with the topic??? If you got nothing to say, Just pull out your fantasy ?

Reported... next time be careful...IT IS UTTTELRY NONSENSE POST....

Back
Top Bottom