What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

I could not disagree more. Buses are *not* the way forward, but a way backward. What cities need is an alternative mass transport system that bypasses the roads entirely. Buses will make an already out of control traffic problem worse. Sure, you can have dedicated BRT corridors like Ahmedabad but they are nowhere near the capacity of an equivalent metro system. Plus, what about the fact that they only contribute to vehicular pollution and are not even half as comfortable? Jaipur is not a small city by any measure, with a population touching 4 million, it is a fairly large city.

Besides, why build a metro only after cities become huge and road congestion becomes an unmanageable problem? Why not be proactive and build infrastructure so that bottlenecks are never allowed to spiral out of control?

Yes, metro in Jaipur is planned in advance as Jaipur have wide roads but currently area covered by Jaipur metro are outside of walled city thats why it has less ridership, again statistics released recently says ridership of Jaipur metro is more than Chennai Metro, fare may be reason but compare Jaipur with Lucknow, Kochi, Nagpur when these cities get metro.

But I'm 100% sure BRTS is not solution for Indian cities., Light rail/Trams or sub-urban rail is good choice than BRTS as thses require less investment than MRTS.

I could not disagree more. Buses are *not* the way forward, but a way backward. What cities need is an alternative mass transport system that bypasses the roads entirely. Buses will make an already out of control traffic problem worse. Sure, you can have dedicated BRT corridors like Ahmedabad but they are nowhere near the capacity of an equivalent metro system. Plus, what about the fact that they only contribute to vehicular pollution and are not even half as comfortable? Jaipur is not a small city by any measure, with a population touching 4 million, it is a fairly large city.

Besides, why build a metro only after cities become huge and road congestion becomes an unmanageable problem? Why not be proactive and build infrastructure so that bottlenecks are never allowed to spiral out of control?

at least Buses are better than cars in road transport

at least Buses are better than cars in road transport

Well that depends on how much pollution they spew out. Well maintained buses with dedicated bus lanes are surely better but vast majority of Indian cities do not have wide enough roads for a dedicated BRT system. This means adding buses to roads will be very bad.

Exactly! I was about to say the same. Metros are the way to go even in our Tier-3 cities now. And Jaipur is not small at all.

There will be arguments against any major infrastructure all the time. Jaipur is one of very few cities in India to build infrastructure ahead of its time by Indian standards (Mysore in Karnataka is another example on a smaller scale). But building a Metro now will only save its residents a pain in future.

Ask the people commuting to and from Whitefield in Bangalore about it and they will agree.

Mumbai

11909389_502780313223556_1652913462_n.jpg

Today's metro updates from my end. On my site, you can find more details, maps and lots of images! :)

[Pics] KMRL & DMRC Officials Visit & Review Progress of Kochi Metro’s Muttom Depot
Senior officials from the Kochi Metro Rail Ltd and Delhi Metro Rail Corporation recently visited the 25.6 km Kochi Metro’s Muttom Depot to review its progress since the first Alstom built train-set is expected to arrive in the coming weeks. Earlier, it was supposed to arrive in mid December, but due to the recent rains in the Chennai region where Alstom’s plant is located, its shipment has been delayed.

TBM Parts Lowered for Tunneling Delhi Metro’s Chirag Delhi – Greater Kailash Section
FEMC-Pratibha JV – the Delhi Metro’s contractor for the Magenta line’s underground section between Hauz Khas and Kalkaji Mandir (CC-23) has over the past couple of days lowered parts of a Tunneling Boring Machine (TBM) to bore the up-line tunnel and connect the Chirag Delhi station with the Greater Kailash station.

IL&FS Engineering Wins Ahmedabad Metro’s Gyaspur – Shreyas Construction Contract
IL&FS Engineering and Construction Company Ltd. yesterday announced (see BSE filing) that they have been awarded the Letter of Acceptance (LoA) for constructing the 4.62 km elevated stretch from the Gyaspur depot’s interface point to the Shreyas station of the 17.23 km north-south line! This is the first construction contract to be awarded on this line.

Vizag is APs largest city with Minimum infrastructure. Guess, it should be the new growth center for that state.

Back
Top Bottom