What's new

India designs World's first Thorium based Nuclear Reactor

Thanks!! :tup::tup::tup:

i had seen this on another site :)

well the message is unmistakable ....the great civilization with such a genius minds got destroyed or could not survive despite such intellect because failure to spread the love of science !

Man, Monozite contains rare earth minerals other than thorium too. It goes for a lot of money. Its an open secret to anyone in TN. Sands are exploited in the name of construction. But it really went into construction? No-one knows.!

It is really went to construction.Sand Mafia loot large amount of sand from Kerala for money both Monozite sand and river sand.They stocked its for black market and spike its value , made a huge profit and it is as scam of lakhs of crores.This tuticorin based business man is too powerful and no one can touch him.That idiots dont know the real value of this sand.
Rare earth minerals can extract from this sand .But this sand contain more radioactive element.

well the message is unmistakable ....the great civilization with such a genius minds got destroyed or could not survive despite such intellect because failure to spread the love of science !
Tell me about it....
I love science and in my humble ways I hope I am contributing to it.
But I wasn't talking anything illogical when I said I am expecting human kind to be less selfish and be far sighted.

Congrats to all the scientists involved in that project. Indian government should reward them all :D

Tell me about it....
I love science and in my humble ways I hope I am contributing to it.
But I wasn't talking anything illogical when I said I am expecting human kind to be less selfish and be far sighted.

No ...I didn't say that you were talking anything illogical ...
in fact the comment above has nothing to do with your posts..

I am sorry if I gave you impression that I am criticizing you ....

No ...I didn't say that you were talking anything illogical ...
in fact the comment above has nothing to do with your posts..

I am sorry if I gave you impression that I am criticizing you ....
Chill!!
may be I misunderstood what you meant. :)

A. P. J. Abdul Kalam's dream

'It has become essential to pursue the development of nuclear power using thorium, reserves of which are high in the country, to meet the increased needs of power. The nuclear power capacity is expected to increase to 30,000 MW from the current 7,000 MW by 2020. “There is a need to increase this to 50,000 MW by 2030 through the combination of uranium and thorium-based reactors,”.

Waisee @levina something doesn't feel right if those stats above 'One ton of Thorium can produce same energy as 200 tons of Uranium, or 3,500,000 tons of coal' that one of your compatriots posted are true then I wonder why the rest of the World didn't go for this & India was the first country in the world to have an Operational Thorium Reactor ? :what:

Something is amiss here....something doesn't add up ! :unsure:
“So why on earth are we using uranium?” asked Marin Katusa of Forbes. “As you may recall, research into the mechanization of nuclear reactions was initially driven not by the desire to make energy, but by the desire to make bombs.”

“The $2 billion Manhattan Project that produced the atomic bomb sparked a worldwide surge in nuclear research, most of it funded by governments embroiled in the Cold War. And here we come to it: Thorium reactors do not produce plutonium, which is what you need to make a nuke.
Is India About to Alter the World's Energy Future? | Thorium Forum

Last edited:
@cirr Straight from the horses's mouth,
Que: Coming back to the issue of securing enough fissile material, how is India currently placed in terms of thorium based fuel reprocessing?

Ans: A huge amount of research on the technologies for front as well as back-end of U-233 - thorium fuel cycle has been done in India, and now the efforts are directed towards establishing industrial scale technologies, which will be demonstrated (along with the advanced passive safety features of AHWR), when the reactor and its associated fuel cycle facilities are operational.

Que: Of late there is renewed interest in thorium based nuclear power in other countries as well. China for instance is beginning to prioritize this as a research area, especially the investigation into molten salt reactor (MSR) technology for thorium utilization. Is there any danger of India's lead in the thorium domain eroding?

Ans: To the best of my knowledge nobody in the world has, till date, closed the thorium fuel cycle on an industrial scale. I think, our activities in the area of thorium research are more advanced towards that end than anybody else's. Our leadership in the area of scientific publications covering thorium based research establishes that. India is also investigating Molten Salt Reactor (MSR) technology. We have molten salt loops operational at BARC
Great Interview with Dr RK Sinha.
The Thorium Question: An interview with India's nuclear czar | Thorium Forum

I could love to see India China co-operation on thorium research. Its not like this is a military project. This could save years in research and could make this project financially viable .

@cirr Straight from the horses's mouth,

Great Interview with Dr RK Sinha.
The Thorium Question: An interview with India's nuclear czar | Thorium Forum

I could love to see India China co-operation on thorium research. Its not like this is a military project. This could save years in research and could make this project financially viable .

May be India and China will cooperate. I believe the policymakers in the two countries are not so naive that they won't work together on matters of shared interest. Thorium Energy might prove to be the next big revolution after the Industrial Revolution.

May be India and China will cooperate. I believe the policymakers in the two countries are not so naive that they won't work together on matters of shared interest. Thorium Energy might prove to be the next big revolution after the Industrial Revolution.
Dont know about Chinese policy maker, but Indian policy makers are naive. I will not put too much hope on them. And if they are co-operating they should let us know.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom