What's new

India deploys 36,000 extra troops on Chinese border

Do you have any source to prove this ?

Audio transcript from a Sino-Indian war conference that happened back in June.

A Conference on ?Revisiting the China-India Border Dispute? (with podcast) China-India Border Dispute

and before you complain it's a blog, it's a blog maintained the organizer of the conference to record the proceedings of that conference. Dr Dibyesh Anand, an Indian born professor of Tibetan studies at Westminister university.

Educated at the universities of Delhi, Hull and Bristol, Dibyesh Anand is a Reader (Associate Professor) in International Relations. Before joining Westminster in 2007, he was a Lecturer in Department of Economics and International Development at the University of Bath. He has held visiting fellowships in several institutions including the Australian National University, University of California Berkeley, Jawaharlal Nehru University, and the Central University of Hyderabad.

it was mentioned in this "Roundtable One: China-India Border Dispute: Revisiting the Past
Roundtable One: China-India Border Dispute: Revisiting the Past"

Never did say India will cross the line but as the US undersecretary of state mentioned, the risk though low, is going to increase as India shifts its strategic thinking and assets to the Chinese border. No nation can afford a build up of troops on its border (which breaks a 1993 treaty on limiting troop escalation) without some kind of preparations, China is no different and when you have two armies poised on a poorly demarcated border, it is a highly risky situation. (Indian and Pak, have a clear armistice line, India and China doesn't, this is why you get all the BS reports in the Indian media whining about border intrusions)

Especially in the same lecture he described what he considered to be a unfortunate fatalism on India's side to being China rival. (he also warned about sensationalist media, which I really can't see it was meant for the Chinese media)

What we have right now is a change of tact (more talks about optimism) but no fundamental change in course or attitude from the Indian side. The current attitude needs to change if this border dispute is not to cause problems down the road and judging by the responses here and going through the scholar works from India, it's an attitude that's not going to change anytime soon.

CS,My thoughts are as follows

US officials will always be hawkish on Sino-Indian relations, so take what they say with some salt. BTW since both of us seem to agree that neither army will cross the LAC, I don't see where is the risk of war? At the most we will see more of the one upmanship in showing off.

As far as the 93 treaty goes, it doesn't specify any numbers and simply says that military development cannot cross the LAC (which is still valid). The treaty also recognises that troops may inadvertently come across the LAC and must go back when the other side cautions. If you take a look at recent reports, both sides have done this and there were no casualties, this solidifies my belief that soldiers on Sino-Indian border aren't exactly trigger happy (Indo-Pak ones are) and will remain peaceful.

BTW, When you already brand India media as BS, then why get worried about what they say? The decision making bodies (and the sane members here) don't take their rants seriously either.
Sometime you seem to take what people/media say, a bit too seriously.

The change of IA's tact you mentioned is somewhat needed to equalize the overwhelming capability on the chinese side. IMHO fruitful border talks will happen when GOI feels it has an equal footing on the border vis-a-vis china , it will give them enough confidence to go for talks. It is somewhat similar to pakistan's justified concern that it wants to be treated as an equal by India. GOI openly won't say this to china but it is clear to me that it aims to achieve parity before initiating dispute resolution. It suits them to buy time by simply maintaining the status quo and continue building defensive capabilities.

Like I mentioned before, neither country wants war and there is enough communication between the two to avoid a 62 fiasco. I for one, am not worried and neither should you.

CS,My thoughts are as follows

US officials will always be hawkish on Sino-Indian relations, so take what they say with some salt. BTW since both of us seem to agree that neither army will cross the LAC, I don't see where is the risk of war? At the most we will see more of the one upmanship in showing off.

As far as the 93 treaty goes, it doesn't specify any numbers and simply says that military development cannot cross the LAC (which is still valid). The treaty also recognises that troops may inadvertently come across the LAC and must go back when the other side cautions. If you take a look at recent reports, both sides have done this and there were no casualties, this solidifies my belief that soldiers on Sino-Indian border aren't exactly trigger happy (Indo-Pak ones are) and will remain peaceful.

BTW, When you already brand India media as BS, then why get worried about what they say? The decision making bodies (and the sane members here) don't take their rants seriously either.
Sometime you seem to take what people/media say, a bit too seriously.

The change of IA's tact you mentioned is somewhat needed to equalize the overwhelming capability on the chinese side. IMHO fruitful border talks will happen when GOI feels it has an equal footing on the border vis-a-vis china , it will give them enough confidence to go for talks. It is somewhat similar to pakistan's justified concern that it wants to be treated as an equal by India. GOI openly won't say this to china but it is clear to me that it aims to achieve parity before initiating dispute resolution. It suits them to buy time by simply maintaining the status quo and continue building defensive capabilities.

Like I mentioned before, neither country wants war and there is enough communication between the two to avoid a 62 fiasco. I for one, am not worried and neither should you.

Thank you, you're probably the only one that's addressed my points and concerns rationally in this thread thus far.

My thoughts about the Indian media. I know they are geared for popular consumption and that most Indian leadership don't think the same way but I am afraid that if the yellow papers keep pushing China threat, the Indian people will demand something be done by the government.

A sobering thought comes from the role the Indian media played in pushing the Nehru government to the 1962. Once Nehru foolishly proclaimed Chinese forces are occupying Indian land, he backed himself into a corner with regards to popular opinion. The Indian public wanted a repeat of the Goa annexation. I think most thought that the IA can easily repeat what they did in pushing the Portuguese out. This left no room for negotiation, the only thing that could satisfy the masses was war.

Thank you, you're probably the only one that's addressed my points and concerns rationally in this thread thus far.

My thoughts about the Indian media. I know they are geared for popular consumption and that most Indian leadership don't think the same way but I am afraid that if the yellow papers keep pushing China threat, the Indian people will demand something be done by the government.

A sobering thought comes from the role the Indian media played in pushing the Nehru government to the 1962. Once Nehru foolishly proclaimed Chinese forces are occupying Indian land, he backed himself into a corner with regards to popular opinion. The Indian public wanted a repeat of the Goa annexation. I think most thought that the IA can easily repeat what they did in pushing the Portuguese out. This left no room for negotiation, the only thing that could satisfy the masses was war.

Well so far the Indian media has complained only about border incursions (not occupations), which GOI (unlike Nehru) has amply clarified that it happens because the borders are not clearly demarcated.

As far as I'm aware, the Indian public has not at all demanded retaliation by Indian Army since they also understand it. Heck they don't even bother about border incursions on Indo-Bangla border. The public these days is too focused on development. Look at the recent Bihar (state) elections.

Furthermore the public figures who hold sway with the govt. are usually business tycoons who want even more cooperation with China.
So really, nobody important is pushing GOI to get offensive.
This is exactly why GOI has complete public support in resolving our border issues and improve trade relations.

Sidenote: Now that the GOI has given Indians residing in foreign countries an option to vote in elections, you will see more pragmatic governments coming to power in India.

Abhishek_ said:
Sidenote: Now that the GOI has given Indians residing in foreign countries an option to vote in elections, you will see more pragmatic governments coming to power in India.

I don't see the relation :confused:

Well so far the Indian media has complained only about border incursions (not occupations), which GOI (unlike Nehru) has amply clarified that it happens because the borders are not clearly demarcated. The indian public has not at all demanded retaliation by Indian Army since they also understand it.
Furthermore the public figures who hold sway with the govt. are usually business tycoons who want even more cooperation with China.
So really, nobody important is pushing GOI to get offensive.
This is exactly why GOI has complete public support in resolving our border issues and improve trade relations.

Fair points and very reassuring. Is there a way to jig it so that you get more votes than the others in this thread? :lol:

the borders are not clearly demarcated

anyways you must be reading better Indian sources than I am because this fact goes unreported in most articles mention "Chinese border incursion!!" that I read.

The indian public has not at all demanded retaliation by Indian Army since they also understand it

I am somewhat dubious that everyone knows that unlike the Pak-Ind armastice line, there has been such demarcations on the Sino-Indian border.

I don't see the relation :confused:

Paaji I mean to say, NRI's will also focus on development rather than trivial issues such caste, religion etc. And we sure as heck want India to resolve border issues with all its neighbors. Seeing you boys growing at 9percent makes our chest swell veera:smitten:

Fair points and very reassuring. Is there a way to jig it so that you get more votes than the others in this thread? :lol:
anyways you must be reading better Indian sources than I am because this fact goes unreported in most articles mention "Chinese border incursion!!" that I read.
I am somewhat dubious that everyone knows that unlike the Pak-Ind armastice line, there has been such demarcations on the Sino-Indian border.

lol I usually stay with "The Hindu". I also remember watching some minister (P Chidambaram I think) explaining to the media why the supposed incursions happen. But logical reasoning takes a back seat in media so I guess it was not reported widely.

Anyway, PDF is mostly entertainment for me so I certainly enjoy watching the Chic fights :cheers:
Relax my dear friend CS, All izz Well.

Paaji I mean to say, NRI's will also focus on development rather than trivial issues such caste, religion etc. And we sure as heck want India to resolve border issues with all its neighbors. Seeing you boys growing at 9percent makes our chest swell veera:smitten:

Oh I'm not Punjabi . I'm (distantly) Gujarati (Jain) but lived in Delhi all my life hence the Punjabi wedding comment in that other thread :)

My point was that vast majority of the India voter is poor and comes from the Rural areas.The NDA failed to understand this (with their 'India Shining' campaign) and lost the elections to Congress in 2004

It is a good step by the gov, but I don't think it'll make much of a difference :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom