What's new

India could host World Cup 2026: Blatter

DelhiDareDevil

Reaction score
Fifa chief says India is a perfect case to host the Cup after Qatar; India coach supports idea
By Staff
Published Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On an obvious mission to take football to hitherto under-played territories, Fifa President Sepp Blatter now thinks that India could be a fit case to host World Cup 2026.

After shocking the sports world by backing the quest of Qatar to host the 2022 edition – which it eventually won on massive support from Fifa members across the world – Blatter told a British newspaper that he would back India to host the Cup four years after the Doha tournament.

"If we have to identify new territories where football can be a better part of life, then definitely it is the subcontinent, India, where they have 1.2 billion people. India is a real power," Blatter was quoted as saying in the newspaper report reproduced by Times of India.

He said the 1.2 billion Indians are a massive market for the highly popular game.

However, the Indian media report raised doubts if Fifa would keep the Cup in Asia after Doha. Besides, it says, Blatter himself would not be around in Fifa to pitch for India’s case.

Currently ranked 142, India played its first Asian Cup match in Doha on Monday only to be thrashed 4-0 by Australia.

While India was a football powerhouse at the Asian level in the 1940s and 1950s, the team was unable to participate in the 1950 World Cup when the rest of the teams played with boots on but India were still playing barefoot.

India coach supports idea

India coach Bob Houghton on Wednesday welcomed the idea and said it would "force development of football infrastructure" in the South Asian country.

In Doha, Qatar, with the Indian team participating in the ongoing Asian Cup 2011, Houghton told Press Trust of India news agency that awarding the World Cup to India would lead to "investment" in the game. He had always lamented the lack of quality infrastructure for football in India.

"I don't know when India can be ready to host the World Cup. Infrastructure is the problem but I think you can argue that awarding the World Cup could be a good idea as it could force development of football infrastructure in the country. That may lead to investment in infrastructure. But beyond that I don't know," said Houghton ahead of India's second Asian Cup match against Bahrain here on Friday.

The news agency quoted him as saying India could start with small sized stadiums like the Al Saad Stadium in Doha where India played Australia, and think of hosting Asian Cup in the near future. He said four or five such stadiums would be sufficient to host such tournaments.

The British national is on a contract to coach the Indian national team till 2013.

India could host World Cup 2026: Blatter - Emirates24|7

Come on India, bid for the World Cup, probably the greatest international sport tournament in the world

Last edited:
Next 20 years can be truly incredible for South Asia particularly India in sports.

India, will host the F1.
India can possibly host Olympics and FIFA world Cup
NBA in India to find new stars.
Sri Lanka could host the Commonwealth Games
Bangladesh, SL, India to host the cricket world cup.

I am most excited about the FIFA world cup, as im a British Indian and football > cricket :D

hmmm after 16 years

well lets see, in my opinion first India should focus on building a solid Football team before hosting world cups

Best of Luck anyway

yes.. i do agree that india needs to build a solid football team for it's own good.
however it's not the criteria to host host a world cup though!! qatar is given the hosting rights despite it's failure to qualify for a single tournament. fifa sees an opertunity to cash in on india sports economy here!! not surprised at all with blatter's statement. however i honestly don't think it's going to happen in 2026!! maybe couple of tournaments after!!

Umm yeah..........

Back to reality now, your a little early for April Fools.

Last edited:
I just want to know, if you cant even host the Common Wealth Games properly then how will you be able to host the World Cup?

South Asia Investor Review: Resurgent India's Success at Commonwealth Games 2010

Commonwealth Games 2010 Delhi is a Huge Success

BBC Sport - Commonwealth Games 2010: Delhi event hailed a success

Commonwealth Games 2010: Delhi event hailed a success | totalposter.com blog

Commonwealth Games: The Historical Success

http://squashstars.com/cwg-delhi-2010-a-squashing-success/

http://www.ndtv.com/article/commonwealth-games/delhi-s-cwg-success-tough-to-emulate-says-scotland-59968

'After CWG, India should host Olympics' - Sports - Other Sports - ibnlive

India has assets to host 2020 Olympics: IOC chief - Express India

I hope you can read, do you want me to post more ? Seriously if you cant contribute why do you troll when you cant even support your position properly. Please read below to understand the condition you suffer from -

Jealousy is simply and clearly the fear that you do not have value. Jealousy scans for evidence to prove the point - that others will be preferred and rewarded more than you. There is only one alternative - self-value. If you cannot love yourself, you will not believe that you are loved. You will always think it's a mistake or luck. Take your eyes off others and turn the scanner within. Find the seeds of your jealousy, clear the old voices and experiences. Put all the energy into building your personal and emotional security. Then you will be the one others envy, and you can remember the pain and reach out to them. ~Jennifer James

Regards

DM
:cheers:

South Asia Investor Review: Resurgent India's Success at Commonwealth Games 2010

Commonwealth Games 2010 Delhi is a Huge Success

BBC Sport - Commonwealth Games 2010: Delhi event hailed a success

Commonwealth Games 2010: Delhi event hailed a success | totalposter.com blog

Commonwealth Games: The Historical Success

CWG Delhi 2010 – A Squashing Success|Squash Stars

'After CWG, India should host Olympics' - Sports - Other Sports - ibnlive

India has assets to host 2020 Olympics: IOC chief - Express India

I hope you can read, do you want me to post more ? Seriously if you cant contribute why do you troll when you cant even support your position properly. Please read below to understand the condition you suffer from -

Jealousy is simply and clearly the fear that you do not have value. Jealousy scans for evidence to prove the point - that others will be preferred and rewarded more than you. There is only one alternative - self-value. If you cannot love yourself, you will not believe that you are loved. You will always think it's a mistake or luck. Take your eyes off others and turn the scanner within. Find the seeds of your jealousy, clear the old voices and experiences. Put all the energy into building your personal and emotional security. Then you will be the one others envy, and you can remember the pain and reach out to them. ~Jennifer James

Regards

DM
:cheers:

The most you can do is post blogs and indian news papers? I posted international papers who stated that the common wealth games were planned very poorly and disgusting. Maybe by your and indian standards it was a "success" but by international starndards it was not. Which is why the common wealth games were not a success. Unfortunately you seem to live in a bollyworld world, hence all the delusions.I've only posted articles from which back up what I say, so I dont know how thats trolling? And its funny you're calling me a troll since all you do is troll and have been banned for it. I dont know why the mods un-banned you, once a troll is always a troll :disagree:

The most you can do is post blogs and indian news papers? I posted international papers who stated that the common wealth games were planned very poorly and disgusting. Maybe by your and indian standards it was a "success" but by international starndards it was not. Which is why the common wealth games were not a success. Unfortunately you seem to live in a bollyworld world, hence all the delusions.I've only posted articles from which back up what I say, so I dont know how thats trolling? And its funny you're calling me a troll since all you do is troll and have been banned for it. I dont know why the mods un-banned you, once a troll is always a troll :disagree:

lol seriously give up, you have no idea what your talking about, did you even bother to read anything ? So BBC is a blog ? lol K I rest my case, jealousy is truly blinding lol

lol seriously give up, you have no idea what your talking about, did you even bother to read anything ? lol

Obviously when you have nothing to argue about, you come up with this. I don't know why I'm even bothering arguing with you obviously love to troll ( which is why you were banned) and are one of the most annoying indian posters on here. Anyways on my ignore list you go, it'll save me from reading your delusional posts.

tbh China deserves it more than India. It would be kinda weird if the home team doesn't even qualify for the Finals?

Once India has high speed rail network , like what China has, then it would probably make sense to hold the World Cup. In the mean time Indian team can work on its performance :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom