What's new

India block Pakistan-born Khawaja's visa

Khawaja who? Never head of him before today.

Usman_Khawaja.jpg

Born in Pakistan, Usman Khawaja moved to Australia when he was a young boy and achieved his dream of becoming the first Muslim to play for the country when he was picked for the final Ashes Test of the 2010-11 series at Sydney.

In a series that had brought plenty of gloom for Australia, Khawaja was a ray of hope. He replaced an injured and out-of-form Ricky Ponting and marked his arrival in style - pulling his second ball in Test cricket to the midwicket boundary. He made 37 and and 21 in the match but his poise, temperament and charisma was enough for him to be hailed as Australia's top-order saviour.

A fine left-handed batsman who was a national under-19 representative, Khawaja delivered on the rave reviews during his second and third seasons with New South Wales. He collected three Sheffield Shield centuries in 2009-10 in a haul of 698 runs, following a return of 554 at 42.61 the previous summer.

New South Wales were in the desperate trouble of 4 for 88 at the Gabba when Khawaja stepped in with his maiden century and he followed his 112 with 172 not out in the final game of 2008-09. Khawaja was picked for three first-class games with New South Wales in 2007-08, impressing on debut with an 85 that almost earned first-innings points. He finished the summer with a state average of 32.33 and a growing reputation, which was enhanced by 1134 runs for the Randwick Petersham club. While cricket is his love, Khawaja is also a qualified pilot.

Usman Khawaja | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

How on earth would it be India's loss?

because hindustan brings politics into sport......maybe they are worried he'll hijack Taj Mahal motel with a ''made in Pakistan'' cricket bat

Anyways, i believe that anyone of Pakistani origin or whose parent/s or grandparent/s are from Pakistan are separately looked into. This is the order of the Indian Home Ministry directly drawing from the David Headley case. Consulates everywhere are required to follow this rule & it is now widely known that such people need to plan accordingly to obtain a visa.

your country, your right.....

we know how paranoid and internally-turmoiled you people are.

bringing up ''david headley'' here :laugh:

again, we don't take it personal....Khawaja surely would get last laugh here. it's indians who suffer from soft emotions and display their insecurities more often than not.

:)

your country, your right.....

we know how paranoid and internally-turmoiled you people are.

bringing up ''david headley'' here :laugh:

again, we don't take it personal....Khawaja surely would get last laugh here. it's indians who suffer from soft emotions and display their insecurities more often than not.
:)

This incident was unfortunate but that's how it has become these days. There is nothing personal against Mr.Khawaja, the rules apply for all who want an Indian visa. I understand that Mr.Khawaja doesn't appreciate being singled out but I'm also sure that he would not have made as much of a fuss if he was stopped at a U.S. airport for "enhanced screening" or whatever.

Whether Indians suffer from soft or hard emotions is irrelevant, I would rather the government to whom I pay taxes to, does its job by doing everything to keep Indians safe even if their efforts are not always enough. I don't mind if Mr.Khawaja has the last laugh, I have nothing against him. I wish we did not have to do this to any Pakistani, whether residing in Pakistan or not but unfortunately that is not how the world is and I would much rather my government err on the side of caution than not.

If this news is true...I am very happy with our government... India should ban each and every Pakistani to enter into India.

I would like appeal to every PAKISTANI ….Please Please Please DO NOT APPLY FOR VISA TO GET INTO INDIA…. Please Stay away from INDIA... And Do NOT INSULT YOURSELF.

That will be dangerous stereotyping, the visa should have been promptly issued, extensive background security checks not really a normal practise with international sportsmen.

Is it a written rule that an international sportsman cannot be a threat to security?

well, since these guys can't make money in cricket without involving India, its natural for them to keep on coming here even after repeated insults.

Even Afridi was begging for IPL. So its human tendency.

Back
Top Bottom