What's new

India becomes world’s largest arms importer

than india defiantly needs to stop comparing herself with china. because that overconfident will just slow this processevolution.

You may have watched the movie "gangs of new york". United States had a time when it was down in the dumps. Now just look at them.
Great powers rise, great powers fall. Mired in corruption and inefficiency now, perhaps India too will find its place in the sun.

India cannot aspire to become China, nor should it. It should play to its strengths as the status quo power. The power that could tilt the balance either way.

what the others doin so we are just following..so that wont lag behind.. wish n hope it will keep increasing on an on an on.:smitten:

being number 1 in importing weaponry should be a category that India should never ever be proud of.

modernize and have a nuclear deterrent force is more than sufficient in this day and age.

let the US and China battle it out in the future for "supremacy"- only 2 outcome to that; 1. cold war leading to a bankrupt nation or 2. WW3

best for india to alleviate the acute poverty.

read the paragraph again with open eyes this time my sweetness. the answer is there. if you don’t go on the route of troll/ flame fest then maybe you can understand what I meant.

I will say again, with utmost care and kindness, read my post again or just the paragraph again. I hope you wont disappoint me.

Even before posting I read your post twice and the post itself was a result of me not getting the 'hegemony' part.

India has regional ambitions possibility leading to a much larger scale from Middle East to Far East. Keeping Iran under check on one end to North Korea to the other.

Seriously, you mean seriously ? We want to dominate from Middle East to North Korea ? I dont understan what we did to keep Iran under check or trying to do something with Kim Jong Il.

Pakistan does have an excuse to protect itself against the Indian hegemony in south east Asia and not to become another Bangladesh. Nepal or Burma.

For the Pakistan bit, we have initiated a conflict on our own (before you could say 1971 let me clarify no nation in a dire economic condition will be prepared to accept millions of refugees and we had to intervene). Leaving that 1948,1965,1999 were all initiated by Pakistan and was replied by India as any nation would do.

As for Nepal we still have brotherly relations with them, no the Maoist scums are not representatives of the Nepalese, and they still have all the facilities an Indian would have in India except that they cant vote in elections.

Burma - well they have good relations with us and have been extremely helpful in tackling the NE insurgents. We dont claim any of their territory nor do they have any claim on ours.

Americans will always support and encourage Indians in this pursuit and would like that all regional conflicts stay unresolved so that Indians spend more on weapons due to their hostilities with Pakistan & China.

This is just your opinion and I would respect for that though I dont agree to that. The reason Kashmir is still unresolved is not because of US but Pakistan's intransigence to accept LoC into IB and the reason border disputes with China are there because then we stand to lose Aksai Chin under Chinese occupation which will be suicidal for any political party back home.

If having two nuclear armed rivals with whom wars have been fought claiming two states of India doesnt justify the spending I dont know what will ?

And as far as US using us against China, well going by the benefits accrued to India I would rather think it is true much more from the reverse.

And please, refrain from going down the troll campaign. You are a senior member and we all expect better.

Everyone needs to unwind sometime and in the words of the Joker - why so serious ??

:coffee: Most of China's import of weapons is the engine of Russia and Ukraine.
After import, and then sold it.

Now China's own weapons have been very few imports.

China was a largest importer of weapons in the 90s, while their dependencies decreased after domestic R&D caught up. Still China is second largest importer.
India is in same position where China was 10-15 years back. Soon this trend of importing weapons will decrease, as our domestic firms are doing great in recent times. :tup:

Note: Gladly, Pakistan and China are NOT the largest importers but self efficient, self-sufficient, and cost saving. Next few years, Pakistan and China exporting JFT/J10s, other technology for more profits and experiences while India is busy importing..

:china::pakistan:

lol You even failed to post the 'note' without mentioning China. China itself was the largest importer of weapons for long time.

India is in same position where China was 10-15 years back. Soon this trend of importing weapons will decrease, as our domestic firms are doing great in recent times. :tup:

To be honest, I doubt it. We started our indigenous production in the 50's and started trying to design interceptors in the 60's (pretty unsuccessfully for a long time). We did it because we had to do it, there was no other way of obtaining an air force. I think if China had the option of buying whatever it wanted from the beginning like India today, we'd never would have had the drive or impetus to achieve the level of domestic design and production we do today.

lol You even failed to post the 'note' without mentioning China. China itself was the largest importer of weapons for long time.
i've started a thread 'what will happen if
China dumps pakistan' but the
Mods deleted it calling it an
Needless brainfar
t!

To be honest, I doubt it. We started our indigenous production in the 50's and started trying to design interceptors in the 60's (pretty unsuccessfully for a long time). We did it because we had to do it, there was no other way of obtaining an air force. I think if China had the option of buying whatever it wanted from the beginning like India today, we'd never would have had the drive or impetus to achieve the level of domestic design and production we do today.

:coffee: Indians are right. China was a largest importer of weapons in the 90s. China imported almost all of the weapons.
China's state-owned military enterprises did not order, almost bankrupt. CAC produces washing machines to make money to feed the workers and technicians. Now CAC is R&D J-20...

1996 was a turning point, American aircraft carrier wake-up the Chinese govt. Since then, Chinese govt only trust themselves.

being number 1 in importing weaponry should be a category that India should never ever be proud of.

modernize and have a nuclear deterrent force is more than sufficient in this day and age.

let the US and China battle it out in the future for "supremacy"- only 2 outcome to that; 1. cold war leading to a bankrupt nation or 2. WW3

best for india to alleviate the acute poverty.

Better to die on the road to becoming #1 than to live on your knees at the starting line.

Even we started it back in the 60s, remember HF Marut (if not, then kindly google it), but gradually our dependencies increased on the Russians as the imported weapons from Russia costs less than the domestic R&D. And our army generals and politicians of that era lacked farsightedness and self-confidence to ramp up domestic R&D.
Oh please! your aircrafts of 60s like J-5, J-6, J-7 is anything but Chinese. Only J-8 looks a bit credible but m still dubious:disagree:

Back
Top Bottom