Mighty Lion

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
India bags US$ 40 million defence deal to supply 4 radar systems to Armenia

Times Now Digital
Updated Mar 01, 2020 | 17:20 IST |
India will supply four Swathi weapon locating radars to Armenia in a US$ 40 million deal for which Russia and Poland also competed.
Swathi_Weapons_Locating_Radar.jpg

Photo Credit: Twitter
Weapon Locating Radar (Swathi) passes through the Rajpath, on the occasion of the 68th Republic Day Parade 2017, in New Delhi on January 26, 2017 (Source: PIB)

New Delhi: In a significant victory for the country’s defence sector, India beat Russia and Poland to bag a $40 million defence deal to supply locally-built weapon locating radars to Armenia in Europe.

The radar system is developed by the state-owned Defence Research and Development Organisation’s (DRDO’s) Electronics and Radar Development Establishment (LRDE) Bengaluru-based laboratory and manufactured by Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL).

“The deal is for supplying four Swathi Weapon Locating Radars developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and manufactured by the Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) to Armenia in Europe," government sources told ANI.

India has already begun supplying the radar system to Armenia in a major boost for the government’s ‘Make in India’ programme in the defence sector.

The Armenian side zeroed in for the tried and tested Indian radar system after conducting detailed trials of systems offered by Russia and Poland. As part of the deal, New Delhi will supply four such systems to Yerevan.

The radar system is deployed by the Indian Army along the Line of Control (LoC) to detect incoming artillery fire from Pakistan. Swathi Weapon Locating Radar is mobile artillery locating phased-array radar designed for spotting and tracking artillery and rocket fire for counter-action by artillery units.

It can simultaneously detect multiple projectiles like shells, mortars fired from various locations within a 50-km radius. It is currently with the Army in LoC in Jammu & Kashmir to track the source of shelling from Pakistani positions. It was given to Army for trials in 2018.

https://www.timesnownews.com/amp/in...s-to-armenia/559596?__twitter_impression=true

Swathi radar won because it showed far better ECCM capabilities than Russian or Polish competitors during trials.

There has been excellent discernible progress in LRDE of late...esp in material foundry QC to finally realise the frontier research done by it 10 years+ ago.

@Viet @Aung Zaya @Viva_Viet you guys should all look into our radar tech more :)

There has been excellent discernible progress in LRDE of late...esp in material foundry QC to finally realise the frontier research done by it 10 years+ ago.

@Viet @Aung Zaya @Viva_Viet you guys should all look into our radar tech more :)
India can easily become a competitive arms manufacturer if it involves the private sector. I work as a engineer in a private company and we easily beat the imported Chinese equipment in quality. Our biggest handicap is price and on time delivery.

India can easily become a competitive arms manufacturer if it involves the private sector. I work as a engineer in a private company and we easily beat the imported Chinese equipment in quality. Our biggest handicap is price and on time delivery.
We need to develop much larger semiconductor industry

I suppose this is how they signal displeasure to turkey...
When and if turks and pakistaniz come for india there will be no saving.

1000 year old history will repeat itself. If india calls for it. Ganguu bast****

LOL.. Another fake comment. I work in engineering sector. India dont even have much products in the first place. Talking about quality, technology and prices. Chinese products beats everything India got. You dont believe me? Look at your smartphone market and see who is the major players. Huawei high end smartphone even got their got Chinese ram and processor chips.

Looks at the drone market. Complete dominated by Chinese DJI. They are high tech stuff and not toys. IDF and US special forces all have no choice but to use Chinese Mavic drone due to its excellent sensor, program and GPS return ability.

LOL.. Another fake comment. I work in engineering sector. India dont even have much products in the first place. Talking about quality, technology and prices. Chinese products beats everything India got. You dont believe me? Look at your smartphone market and see who is the major players. Huawei high end smartphone even got their got Chinese ram and processor chips.

Looks at the drone market. Complete dominated by Chinese DJI. They are high tech stuff and not toys. IDF and US special forces all have no choice but to use Chinese Mavic drone due to its excellent sensor, program and GPS return ability.
I was not talking about consumer items but industrial equipment. China beats us in price and delivery. But Chinese equipment can be pretty dicey if not inspected properly. Indian suppliers stand behind their products. Ofcourse you have to source from established Indian suppliers.

Please be realistic.

China is MILES ahead of India in the arms sector.

Can India make J-10C with AESA radar, PL-15 missile and 140KN WS-10B? You are not even close to them!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom