What's new

India activates 'secret' undersea missile

missile_EPS.jpg

Amid escalation of simmering tension along the LoC in the wake of unprovoked killing of jawans leading to heightened resentment across the nation, India is contemplating to go for the maiden trial of its long range nuke-capable undersea missile K-4, which had been kept secret so far.

If things go as per the programme, defence sources said the indigenously built submarine launched ballistic (SLBM) missile, which has a strike range of 3000-km to 3,500-km will be test fired from a submerged pontoon, which is almost identical to submarine, off the Vishakhapatnam coast next month.

Though the missile has been designed to be launched from a depth of 50 meter, but this time the scientists are planning to fire it from the undersea platform nearly 20 to 30 meters deep in the Bay of Bengal. Earlier the developmental tests of the missile's gas-booster have already completed successfully.

After the successful activation of the atomic reactor on-board the country’s first indigenous nuclear submarine INS Arihant in the wee hours on Saturday, the DRDO is in fact readying to conduct the first experimental trial of the much-awaited K-4 as soon as possible. This submarine will be equipped with the K-series missiles.

India has so far planned three missiles in the K-series. The 700-km range K-15, renamed as B-05 by the DRDO has been launched 10 times while the K-5 which will have a striking capability of over 5,000 km is under development. All the K-series missiles are faster, lighter and stealthier. The missiles are far more difficult to tackle as they skulk clandestinely undersea and manoeuvrable thus minimising the chance of being shot down by the enemy.

The DRDO is expecting a successful trial of the missile as it would strengthen the country’s position in the very exclusive club of six nations including Russia, USA, France, Britain and China which have the capability of firing nuclear tipped missiles from air, land and undersea.

With a length of 12 meters and diameter of 1.3 meters, the missile weighs around 17 tonne and is capable of carrying a warhead of around 2 tonne. Basically a ballistic missile as it uses solid propellant, the K-4 missile combines the aspects of both cruise and ballistic missile, which use multiple-stage rockets to exit the atmosphere and re-enter in a parabolic trajectory. It flies in hypersonic speed and is the world's best weapon in this class.

“At least four tests of B-05 and K-4 missiles have been planned. While the B-05 will be fired from the submarine, K-4 will be launched from the pontoon,” the sources added.

Apart from the K-series missiles, India has the submarine version of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile in its arsenal to boost its second-strike capabilities. However, after the completion of successful trials from INS Arihant, the B-05 missile will be inducted in the armed forces. The DRDO is also developing the air version of the K-series missiles, which can be fitted with fighter aircraft like Sukhoi Su-30-MKI.

India activates 'secret' undersea missile - The New Indian Express

Hmmm.. I think PN has really missed the chance of building 6-8 Agosta-90Bs as well as joining the SSKs program with others which can really make it deadlier in terms of countering such threat in Pakistani Maritime border and beyond...

No, no no. You've got me all wrong. By observable signature, I meant the dimensions of the missile TEL.

For my education, which Indian missiles have highly observable signature and what missiles are you comparing them with?
Also, what are the means of detection of these signatures? Dimensions of the missile are not going to be a good enough warning unless you have 24/7 surveillance on the mobile units too.

For my education, which Indian missiles have highly observable signature and what missiles are you comparing them with?
Also, what are the means of detection of these signatures? Dimensions of the missile are not going to be a good enough warning unless you have 24/7 surveillance on the mobile units too.

The TELs of the Agni series. They are too long and do not have all-terrain features. It is quite possible to identify them with relative ease as compared to the Pakistani/Chinese equivalents of MAZ-543 derivatives.
I'm referring to HUMINT as the means of detection here, not satellites.

For example, Agni-II here could be better concealed inside a rail-mobile system. But again, there are obvious discovery risks of transporting over railways.
indiamissiledefense.jpg

However, the new Shaurya missiles have better TELs and are on par with Pakistani/Chinese counterparts.

The TELs of the Agni series. They are too long and do not have all-terrain features. It is quite possible to identify them with relative ease as compared to the Pakistani/Chinese equivalents of MAZ-543 derivatives.

For example, Agni-II here could be better concealed inside a rail-mobile system. But again, there are obvious discovery risks of transporting over railways.
indiamissiledefense.jpg

However, the new Shaurya missiles have better TELs and are on par with Pakistani/Chinese counterparts.

Fair enough. But you did pick the only tall missile in the series :rolleyes:

indiamissiledefense.jpg

Say if Pakistan launches its ballistic missiles for a first strike and India detects the launch, Will India wait till the warheads go boom? or retaliation begins as the detection is made?

Fair enough. But you did pick the only tall missile in the series :rolleyes:

You want me to pick Agni-III, IV, V too?? :P :P
They are large enough too :D

Say if Pakistan launches its ballistic missiles for a first strike and India detects the launch, Will India wait till the warheads go boom? or retaliation begins as the detection is made?

Yes, India will have to wait. There are a couple of time taking processes in between:

1. Detection and Tracking
2. Relaying this information to the NCA
3. Summoning all NCA members at NCC
4. Taking the decision
5. Authorizing the response at all levels
6. Final SOPs conducted by the SFC

Furthermore, the decision taking time is simply too less. And Pakistan cannot ensure a "wipe-out" attack, against which India needs to launch immediately to cause the same level of destruction.

Besides, both Pakistan and India do not and cannot keep their missiles in ready-to-launch status all the time. Final checks, preparations and integrations may last from 0.5-3 hours. So supposing that Pakistan somehow launches a massive first strike, the response will not be instant.

However, if canister-based missiles and SLBMs are deployed, the response can be very swift. But it still can't be made before the missiles strike.

You want me to pick Agni-III, IV, V too?? :P :P
They are large enough too :D

Yes, India will have to wait. There are a couple of time taking processes in between:

1. Detection and Tracking
2. Relaying this information to the NCA
3. Summoning all NCA members at NCC
4. Taking the decision
5. Authorizing the response at all levels
6. Final SOPs conducted by the SFC

Furthermore, the decision taking time is simply too less. And Pakistan cannot ensure a "wipe-out" attack, against which India needs to launch immediately to cause the same level of destruction.

Besides, both Pakistan and India do not and cannot keep their missiles in ready-to-launch status all the time. Final checks, preparations and integrations may last from 0.5-3 hours. So supposing that Pakistan somehow launches a massive first strike, the response will not be instant.

However, if canister-based missiles and SLBMs are deployed, the response can be very swift. But it still can't be made before the missiles strike.
Actually I had read somewhere that India's no first use policy was only towards non-nuclear nations and also policy allows India to strike if she feels that there is an intent of a nuclear strike by the opposing side.

Actually I had read somewhere that India's no first use policy was only towards non-nuclear nations and also policy allows India to strike if she feels that there is an intent of a nuclear strike by the opposing side.

Whhaaaaattt?? :blink:
Non-nuclear nations? Are you trying to say that India will not be the first to use nuclear weapons nations like...Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal? Like they will ever use nukes :hang2:

The no-first-use policy is against nuclear nations specifically. However if India decides to let it go and adopt an aggressive policy...sure, by all means!

look at this new stupid arm race i hate it damn . now everyone will make underwater missile base:pissed: ... india everytime bring new ideas of race in s.asia i must say .

I dont see any arm race here......

Pakistan cant catch India....and......India cant catch China ...so where is the race :omghaha:

Yes please. I tried my internet search, but I don't have enough sources to make a decent comparision. So time to do your title a little justice :devil:

Is it a test? :bad:

Okay, here are the comparisons between similar Pakistani and Indian missiles and respective TELs (I do not intent to spark any **** measuring):

Agni-I:
Only the launcher is in the pic, I wanted to show that the launch assembly is quite a bit longer then the missile. The towing unit (truck) would make the TEL even longer.
Agni%20ENS.jpg

Shaheen-I:
As you can see, the TEL being used has a soviet design and it houses the launcher and the missile in a very compact way.
198641532_429039c6a1_o.jpg

Agni-II:
01sld2.jpg

Shaheen-II:
steal-nuclear-bomb-2.jpg

Now, you may say that since Agni-II and IV are longer by design, thats the reason behind longer TELs. Well here is a shot of the monstrous Agni-III TEL.
India_displays_19868.jpg

Just imagine movement of such vehicles on any road. However, they can be concealed by moving them at night only.
What DRDO should have done was design missiles considering the launch platform too, just like Shaurya. I don't understand why India doesn't buys Russian TELs...restrictions maybe?

The missiles are far more difficult to tackle as they skulk clandestinely undersea and manoeuvrablethus minimising the chance of being shot down by the enemy.

Are you fcking kidding me!? :blink:

Skulk underwater? Manoeuvre? The writer has gone potty!

He's confusing a missile with a shark!

Whhaaaaattt?? :blink:
Non-nuclear nations? Are you trying to say that India will not be the first to use nuclear weapons nations like...Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal? Like they will ever use nukes :hang2:

The no-first-use policy is against nuclear nations specifically. However if India decides to let it go and adopt an aggressive policy...sure, by all means!

Of course.

That's the idea.

Non-nuclear nations means that we will not attack anyone with nukes and fight a full blown conventional war if it is needed.

I don't see where you see aggressive designs.

There are only 9 countries with nuclear weapons claimed, out of which 8 have proven capabilities, on this planet.

What exactly are you trying to cite just South Asian countries for?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom