What's new

India - A sacred geography bound by Dharma

Even Christians are like that.

Compared to the traditionally Christian-for-generations Christians like those in Kerala or Goa, the new ones in places of Tamil nadu, Andhra are hyper fanatic. Dont know the reason as to why this happens. Is that due to the need to convince themselves that they have made the right choice ?

I think besides money (sure it has its role), its also about a certain invisible chip on the shoulder every Indian (Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi) Muslim carries on his or her shoulder.

Of the lack of acceptance by the "real" Muslims.

And the fact, that most of the people did not convert and India still remains a Hindu majority country.

And the fact, that most of the people did not convert and India still remains a Hindu majority country.

Yes that is a major part of the chip.

Communal failure in light of the larger Ummah.

From where Ghazwa-e-Hind thinking comes from.

So in absence of something that was never on the table, hyper-religosity takes its place.

Partly Wrong...Read the OP bro. And I find your post amusing. Actually culturally there is hardly anything similar between a Kashmiri Pandit and Nadar in Tuticorin in the far south. It's mostly the religion that gives them a shared identity. Why different states feel something for each other is the widespread of the Indic faiths in almost all the states.

Partly correct - India is indeed a secular country but the secularism aint got nothing to do with the common strand of religion that binds this nation together.

Culture and Religion are two different things some times they co exist. Culture has more to do with life style and in modern day culture is influenced by Economy, Climate and History than Religion.

Culture and Religion are two different things some times they co exist. Culture has more to do with life style and in modern day culture is influenced by Economy, Climate and History than Religion.

Culture derives itself from religion.

For example, we have a tradition of lighting the lamp (kuthu vilakku) at the inauguration of every function. That is culture. Where did that come from ? We do a bhumi puja at the start of any project. That is our culture. Where did that come from ?

Culture is strongly dependent on religion and you cant draw the line between culture and religion. They overlap to a great extent.

Even Christians are like that.

Compared to the traditionally Christian-for-generations Christians like those in Kerala or Goa, the new ones in places of Tamil nadu, Andhra are hyper fanatic. Dont know the reason as to why this happens. Is that due to the need to convince themselves that they have made the right choice ?

These are mainly protestants or pentacostal people. Roman Catholics are fine. They are like that everywhere. Infact you live in the US you'd know what I am talking about.

Jehovah Witnesses

Westboro Baptist Church etc.,

I think besides money (sure it has its role), its also about a certain invisible chip on the shoulder every Indian (Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi) Muslim carries on his or her shoulder.

Of the lack of acceptance by the "real" Muslims.

I agree with the chip on the shoulder part due to certain insecurities. Insecurities caused not JUST by identity issues.

BUT ALSO, because of the discrimination that exists in society.

I dont think Muslims can "get over it". I think it takes 2 hands to clap, so both Hindus and Muslims should work toward better relations.

Culture derives itself from religion.

For example, we have a tradition of lighting the lamp (kuthu vilakku) at the inauguration of every function. That is culture. Where did that come from ? We do a bhumi puja at the start of any project. That is our culture. Where did that come from ?

Culture is strongly dependent on religion and you cant draw the line between culture and religion. They overlap to a great extent.

Onam treads fine between these two ! Despite having some mythological/ religious story behind, it is widely celebrated by all religions in Kerala.

Onam treads fine between these two ! Despite having some mythological/ religious story behind, it is widely celebrated by all religions in Kerala.

Exactly what I am talking. Religion and Culture can both co exist, Some times religion can influence culture and also Vice versa.

It is an one-off exception.

Exactly what I am talking. Religion and Culture can both co exist, Some times religion can influence culture and also Vice versa.

You cannot base your opinions based on exceptions. You said culture is lifestyle. In our case even the religion was a way of life. In Indian context you cannot draw a clear line demarcating this is culture and this is religion and say both have nothing to do with each other. Hinduism/Dharmic faiths knowingly or unknowingly influences most of our culture.

I dont think Muslims can "get over it". I think it takes 2 hands to clap, so both Hindus and Muslims should work toward better relations.

That's why I said we should help them feel good about themselves.

But the major thrust will still have to come from withing them.

When have Indians in general had a hard time integrating and assimilating?

It is an one-off exception.

Not on such scale of Onam, but people from Muslim & Christian religion also can be found celebrating / taking part in organising Ganpati festival . Some of them hold organising positions in public celebrations. (no bounty on their head , BTW)

Sikhs are seen to visit Vaishnodevi regularly
Hindus are found visiting Suvarna Mandir, Hemkund Sahib, Ajmer Sharif, Haji Ali Dargah regularly.
Dahi Handi/ Janmashtami is also all inclusive celebration

Just quick ones which came up to my mind...

These are mainly protestants or pentacostal people. Roman Catholics are fine. They are like that everywhere. Infact you live in the US you'd know what I am talking about.

The Roman Catholic Church is also a political vehicle, albeit somewhat more restrained than the Pentecostals. It would be best for native Christians to have their own Church, and formulate their own doctrines that bring out the Dharmic essence of original Christianity.

Maurya_Dynasty_in_265_BCE.jpg

With an area of 5,000,000 km2, it was one of the world's largest empires in its time, and the largest ever in the Indian subcontinent.

Under Chandragupta and his successors, internal and external trade, agriculture and economic activities, all thrived and expanded across India thanks to the creation of a single and efficient system of finance, administration, and security.

After the Kalinga War, the Empire experienced half a century of peace and security under Ashoka. Mauryan India also enjoyed an era of social harmony, religious transformation, and expansion of the sciences and of knowledge.

After reading all this if you can not comprehend that it was already under nationhood ( Akhand Bharat) . Then i am sorry you can continue your Pathological LYING .

Its not an Indian empire rather BD expansion and rule over the Indian sub continent. Now straighten up the history.

Not on such scale of Onam, but people from Muslim & Christian religion also can be found celebrating / taking part in organising Ganpati festival . Some of them hold organising positions in public celebrations. (no bounty on their head , BTW)

As I said these are one-off exceptions which do not account for the rest 99%.

BTW I dont know what your position is - are you putting forth that culture is independent of religion and the difference is clearly discernible ?

Sikhs are seen to visit Vaishnodevi regularly
Hindus are found visiting Suvarna Mandir, Hemkund Sahib, Ajmer Sharif, Haji Ali Dargah regularly.
Dahi Handi/ Janmashtami is also all inclusive celebration

Just quick ones which came up to my mind...

Dude dont take into account the action of Sikhs visiting Hindu mandirs or Hindus visiting other places of worship. I know Sikhs who worship Hindu gods in their homes ! Proper Punjabi Sikhs. That's because of the more or less conjoined histories of Hinduism and Sikhism.

Back
Top Bottom