India - A sacred geography bound by Dharma

KS

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Imagining India: A sacred geography bound by Hinduism | Firstpost

India-Temple-Reuters.jpg

Washington: Can geography be imagined in the mind and enacted? By billions of feet trekking to sacred rivers and mountain tops over thousands of years?

Diana Eck, an eminent scholar of Hinduism, says this is the real idea behind India or Bharat, a geography carried in the imagination over generations and one that lived much before invading armies or British colonialists tried to define it. Mythology and geography were married in the Hindu imagination, conceiving as it were the land of India. The marriage has lasted for millennia.

The pilgrims’ map largely resembles the borders of the modern Indian state. They “knew” the geography from the frozen peaks of the Himalayas in the north where Shiva resided to the four “dhams” threading the east, west, north and south. The seven sacred rivers, the many “sangams” and the veneration of every spot where the gods touched ground created a unity, a map.

India, thus defined, stays bound despite the unimaginable diversity of language and culture, defying the dire predictions of many westerners. British civil servants of the colonial era believed and haughtily declared there was no India. As they understood it, perhaps. The narrative of India having been a jumble of kingdoms, until the British beat it into a united country, survives. Until the 1980s, British and American diplomats would frequently refer to the possibility of India’s breakup. It was just plain logic since the country was an artificial union, they would say earnestly.

Eck has challenged the dominant narrative in a way that may disturb the left-leaning historians and will warm the right-leaning ones. She says a certain glue holds India together and that glue is Hinduism. India is an integrated space of culturally diverse Hindus who have a spiritual relationship with the land. So deep is this feeling that other religions of India have absorbed the idea and have their own string of sacred sights – the many dargahs – and their own pilgrimages.

Listening to Eck trace her journey and talk about her latest book India: A Sacred Geography was a rare pleasure. She was a little apprehensive while writing it because her ideas could be used to bolster exclusivist thinking about a “Hindu India,” providing fodder to the wrong set of people. Fortunately, no frenzy has developed since the book’s publication earlier this year and she has continued to travel to India unhindered to pursue her research. The book is about the “practical everyday pluralism” of Indians and the thrust is not political.

Eck says that India in the end is “more than a map” and it lives as a “three-dimensional sacred landscape, linked by its storylines.” Every place has a story, and every story a god. The temples to Devi are scattered around 108 sites, where parts of Sati fell as a grief-stricken Shiva carried her body back. Most of these temples are rocks covered in sindoor and decorated with flowers but the presence of the devi is felt deeply by the faithful.

Shiva’s 12 jyotirlingas knit the length and breadth of this space. The sacred rivers provide the background and life-blood to the cosmic game. The Ganga, the most sacred of them all, is believed to feed many other rivers and water bodies. In a sense it may begin at Gangotri but it is everywhere. Millions of pilgrims have visited the sacred spaces over centuries and created the geography.

It is a lived landscape. And was lived centuries before Google Earth came along. Eck’s argument about Hinduism as a binding force is made after a lifetime of scholarship and formidable research on India’s myths and rituals. She illustrates her thesis with numerous examples and stories, connecting the multi-layered argument into a seamless whole. All through India, the divine is felt and received by the local, accepted and renewed over the ages by everyday people, not necessarily the pundits and the official keepers of the faith.

An excellent read. As said by me many times - the real glue that binds this land of disparate cultures,ethnicities, tribes, languages and even religions is the native idealogy that we call Sanatana Dharma, it's offshoots and its sacred association with this land which itself holds a spiritual meaning and if anything happens to it, then this country as we know it will simply cease to exist.

ps.: This article is not about any Hindutva cheerleading or secularism. SO please dont indulge in that and also Pakistanis - this is not about Akhand Bharat. So please dont bring your insecurity also into this thread.

I believe we can extend this same logic to the Middle East and how the Abrahamic religions view the promised land. Israel was very much a nation which existed in the minds of the Jews before it came into being. The same land also is the holy land for Islam and I'm pretty sure every Muslim in the world has a similar view about the stretch from Jerusalem to Mecca/Madina.

It's an interesting view and seems to be inherent to Middle East and Asian countries.

The article is interesting, but somewhere it leads to complicating the Idea of India for me.

For me India is for Indians, simple. The less ideologies / polemics we involve in the idea, the easier it will be for indians to be indians, confident indians, comfortable indians.

While I love india's antiquity, our rich and very complex history, I do not feel the need to invoke that for our future success. Look around us and the laughable mental gymnastics. I OTOH think a simple idea of India will help in our future success. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the article though KS.

The article is interesting, but somewhere it leads to complicating the Idea of India for me.

For me India is for Indians, simple. The less ideologies / polemics we involve in the idea, the easier it will be for indians to be indians, confident indians, comfortable indians.

While I love india's antiquity, our rich and very complex history, I do not feel the need to invoke that for our future success. I OTOH think a simple idea of India will help in our future success. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the article though KS.

There is nothing to be confused.

Think of it in this way - Picture India as a pond - with the rocks, plants, marine life that are present in it as the different ethnicities, languages, religions in India.

The water is that common thread that binds them together and nourishes it and without which the ecosystem would simply vanish. Sanatan Dharma plays the role of the water.

Coming to the other part - India is for Indians - True..but understanding what we are and how the geography that we know today as India shaped up might clear many mis-conceptions that hold sway today [one among them being outsiders gave us this united country]. That understanding is very integral to our future success as a millenia old civilizational idea that continues to flourish as a political entity.

There is nothing to be confused.

Think of it in this way - Picture India as a pond - with the rocks, plants, marine life that are present in it as the different ethnicities, languages, religions in India.

The water is that common thread that binds them together and nourishes it and without which the ecosystem would simply vanish. Sanatan Dharma plays the role of the water.

Coming to the other part - India is for Indians - True..but understanding what we are and how the geography that we know today as India shaped up might clear many mis-conceptions that hold sway today [one among them being outsiders gave us this united country]. That understanding is very integral to our future success as a millenia old civilizational idea that continues to flourish as a political entity.

Thanks for your post. I have honestly not thought deeply about the issue. And that is so because the misconceptions come from people who are so confused that they scare me, for their own sake and not mine, so I feel no need to convince such lost souls. Not by trying to compete for sure.

As I said I'm proud of the stuff you mention.

Thanks for your post. I have honestly not thought deeply about the issue. And that is so because the misconceptions come from people who are so confused that they scare me, but I feel no need to convince such lost souls. Not by trying to compete for sure.

As I said I'm proud of the stuff you mention.

Mate we are comfortable in the vast diversity - of our ethnicities, languages,cultures etc - without becoming insecure because of our innate knowledge that inspite of all the diversity, there is an unmistakable civilizational thread that binds us all together. A thread that binds us to this land.

It is that knowledge, that glue that has kept this country together in circumstances which would have tore any other country apart and it is that idea that will continue to bind this country together.

People says whats in reciting mantras? i tell them mantras creates good DNA and when we recite the mantras it repairs our DNA and also activates frequency device to positive which are deployed on all planets in our orbit by Gods of Earth (annunakis).... The most powerful mantra is Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra.... My target is to recite it a billion times.... Even over half million times when we recite than our Lord shiva comes in our dream to reveal birth cycle.... Maha mrityunjaya mantra has power to turn death into life.... There are many mantras for money, love, success, health but none can match Maha Mrityunjaya mantra which known as 1 of only 2 mantras which got highest ranking in all mantras.... Must read about words and frequency (by scientists)....
DNA is Influenced by Words and Frequencies - Waking Times : Waking Times

Back
Top Bottom