What's new

In Kashmir, doubts that Indian soldiers actually infiltrated across the border ( The WashingtonPost)

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
imrs.php

Pamela Constable is The Post’s bureau chief in Afghanistan and Pakistan. She previously served as a South Asia bureau chief and most recently covered immigration in the Washington area for several years.
Follow @pamconstable1

BANDALA, PAKISTAN — Villagers in three areas along the de facto border between Indian- and Pakistani-controlled Kashmir said this past week that they had fled their homes in fear after intense shelling and firing from the Indian side but that they did not believe India’s claim Thursday that it had sent armed troops to conduct late-night “surgical strikes” on militant targets there.

In several dozen interviews, residents of the Bhimber, Chamb and Sahmani districts adjoining the Line of Control said they had been jarred from sleep by the barrage of firepower Wednesday. But none said they had seen or heard anything that supported India’s claim that it carried out cross-border strikes on several staging areas for militant groups that left “double digits” of militants dead.

Pakistani officials have repeatedly denied India’s claims, saying that Indian troops only fired small arms across the Line of Control, killing two Pakistani soldiers. Tensions between the rival nuclear powers are at the highest level in a decade.

Muhammad Bota, 40, a mason in this hillside village, said that his son woke him up shouting, “India has attacked!” and that the night was filled with noise.

“We are used to routine shelling, but this was unending, with deafening sounds,” he said. “We believed it was the start of war, and I prayed for the safety of my family and recited all the Koran verses I could remember.”

But Bota, like many other residents interviewed, said he did not see any signs of Indian troops attacking or crossing the fortified line less than a mile away.

“All the villagers were up, and we didn’t see any troops from the other side or helicopters,” he said. “India says it killed militants here, but the people who live here know each other for generations. If there were some militants somewhere around, they couldn’t have gone undetected. This is all propaganda of India.”

In Bhimber, a town several miles from the Line of Control, a store salesman named Mehran Younas Sheikh, 31, said that all schools and government offices had been shut down since the intensive firing started and that many people living close to the border had fled to the town.

“It’s a very beautiful area,” Sheikh said of the region’s forested ridges of pine and birch, “but now one feels and witness the silence of death, apart from the crossfiring between the two armies during the night.”

Hostilities between India and Pakistan, fanned by months of violent clashes between Indian troops and Kashmiri protesters, escalated sharply after Sept. 18, when 19 Indian soldiers died in what India said was an attack on their camp by militants who had infiltrated from Pakistan.

Under domestic pressure to retaliate, the government of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced it had conducted a five-hour overnight paramilitary attack on several suspected terrorist camps, killing scores. Pakistan’s military claimed that it killed eight Indian soldiers in retaliatory fire and that two of its men had died when India shelled a border post in Sahmani.

A cross-border strike by India would be the first major breach of the Line of Control it has publicly acknowledged in years of hostile but cautious relations with Pakistan. In the past it has avoided an overt provocation that could risk a wider conflict, while accusing Pakistan of harboring and supporting terrorist groups.

In several villages, residents described fleeing quickly from the heavy late-night gunfire, many leaving their livestock and crops. Bashir Papra, 55, said his family decided to leave their home in Chamb because the Indian shelling “was so heavy we felt our whole village would come down.”

Some residents said they were so exhausted by years of living with tension and fear that they would almost rather see the two countries fight it out. Muhammad Kurshid, 26, a Chamb resident, said he has faith in Pakistan’s military leaders to win in such a conflict.

“You would think I am insane to want a war,” he said. “No, I am not, it’s just that we can’t spend a normal daily life.”

In Sahmani, a verdant district along the Line of Control with army posts every few hundred yards, residents said they had a close view of activities along the border and described seeing the sky light up with shelling above a mountain ridge where Pakistani troops are stationed.

“If anyone is moving on the mountain, we can see them easily from here,” said villager Faheem Ahmed, 48. “There was no activity of enemy troops on the mountain, which is the only way they can come.”

Constable reported from Kabul. Annie Gowen in New Delhi contributed to this report.

imrs.php

Pamela Constable is The Post’s bureau chief in Afghanistan and Pakistan. She previously served as a South Asia bureau chief and most recently covered immigration in the Washington area for several years.
Follow @pamconstable1

BANDALA, PAKISTAN — Villagers in three areas along the de facto border between Indian- and Pakistani-controlled Kashmir said this past week that they had fled their homes in fear after intense shelling and firing from the Indian side but that they did not believe India’s claim Thursday that it had sent armed troops to conduct late-night “surgical strikes” on militant targets there.

In several dozen interviews, residents of the Bhimber, Chamb and Sahmani districts adjoining the Line of Control said they had been jarred from sleep by the barrage of firepower Wednesday. But none said they had seen or heard anything that supported India’s claim that it carried out cross-border strikes on several staging areas for militant groups that left “double digits” of militants dead.

Pakistani officials have repeatedly denied India’s claims, saying that Indian troops only fired small arms across the Line of Control, killing two Pakistani soldiers. Tensions between the rival nuclear powers are at the highest level in a decade.

Muhammad Bota, 40, a mason in this hillside village, said that his son woke him up shouting, “India has attacked!” and that the night was filled with noise.

“We are used to routine shelling, but this was unending, with deafening sounds,” he said. “We believed it was the start of war, and I prayed for the safety of my family and recited all the Koran verses I could remember.”

But Bota, like many other residents interviewed, said he did not see any signs of Indian troops attacking or crossing the fortified line less than a mile away.

“All the villagers were up, and we didn’t see any troops from the other side or helicopters,” he said. “India says it killed militants here, but the people who live here know each other for generations. If there were some militants somewhere around, they couldn’t have gone undetected. This is all propaganda of India.”

In Bhimber, a town several miles from the Line of Control, a store salesman named Mehran Younas Sheikh, 31, said that all schools and government offices had been shut down since the intensive firing started and that many people living close to the border had fled to the town.

“It’s a very beautiful area,” Sheikh said of the region’s forested ridges of pine and birch, “but now one feels and witness the silence of death, apart from the crossfiring between the two armies during the night.”

Hostilities between India and Pakistan, fanned by months of violent clashes between Indian troops and Kashmiri protesters, escalated sharply after Sept. 18, when 19 Indian soldiers died in what India said was an attack on their camp by militants who had infiltrated from Pakistan.

Under domestic pressure to retaliate, the government of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced it had conducted a five-hour overnight paramilitary attack on several suspected terrorist camps, killing scores. Pakistan’s military claimed that it killed eight Indian soldiers in retaliatory fire and that two of its men had died when India shelled a border post in Sahmani.

A cross-border strike by India would be the first major breach of the Line of Control it has publicly acknowledged in years of hostile but cautious relations with Pakistan. In the past it has avoided an overt provocation that could risk a wider conflict, while accusing Pakistan of harboring and supporting terrorist groups.

In several villages, residents described fleeing quickly from the heavy late-night gunfire, many leaving their livestock and crops. Bashir Papra, 55, said his family decided to leave their home in Chamb because the Indian shelling “was so heavy we felt our whole village would come down.”

Some residents said they were so exhausted by years of living with tension and fear that they would almost rather see the two countries fight it out. Muhammad Kurshid, 26, a Chamb resident, said he has faith in Pakistan’s military leaders to win in such a conflict.

“You would think I am insane to want a war,” he said. “No, I am not, it’s just that we can’t spend a normal daily life.”

In Sahmani, a verdant district along the Line of Control with army posts every few hundred yards, residents said they had a close view of activities along the border and described seeing the sky light up with shelling above a mountain ridge where Pakistani troops are stationed.

“If anyone is moving on the mountain, we can see them easily from here,” said villager Faheem Ahmed, 48. “There was no activity of enemy troops on the mountain, which is the only way they can come.”

Constable reported from Kabul. Annie Gowen in New Delhi contributed to this report.
The Hindian story is becoming more and more untenable by the hour:lol::lol:

India has made a huge blunder just to get the public pressure off the government. This whole drama includes indian media,govt and army as well. They will be left with zero credibility once the international media states its observations since they have been given access to these places.

BAN INDIAN MOVIES CHANNELS COMMERCIALS DISH TV GIVE THEM WHAT THEY DESERVE BECAUSE SINCE DAY ONE INDIA ROOT CAUSE OF CREATING BLUNDERS FOR PAKISTAN,Pakistan need changes in corrupt politicians foreign policies ,need only Patriotic media, icbm, naval war ship, missile shield, also nuclear sub marines, these crook cunning wicked modi supporter hindu devils root cause of all criminal activities in asia need a life long lesson pthan kot mumbai blast uri attack all self made propagandas just support all that organisations which need freedom from india kill modi if he dies the whole asia will be in peace all goons criminals will die which india spread on daily bases in neighbouring countries gujrat butcher u can never trust back stabber hindus till they are alive, so if they ever gonna target pak so pak must target all three countries so people remember them in history,FINISH MQM COMPLETELY, india israel afghanistan common interests against pak because today all india is doing on the signals of usa who don't see atrocities of india in balochistan tribal areas of pak kashmir srilanka burma but see even very minor things of pak even not did clear discrimination must be stopped nawaz sharif can do several speeches to cover his thefts of panama but no speech on LOC issues indian raw criminals and constantly shouting there could some thing happen in imran khan gatherings all game of noon party to harm army and imran GOD bless Pakistan.

imrs.php

Follow @pamconstable1

I believe it was a suspense story by the indian which was clarified by their PM now that they haven't done any surgical strike in any country at all.

The bhangees got caught in their own lies !!! hahahah

lol, thats why it is commando operations and not regular military movement. PAK army telling the world since it didn't seen any Indian commando that why no operation happened .

Villagers itself said Heavy firing means they must be hearing rockets/ bombs explosion very near but since they are not venturing out they cannot see anything....

PAK and its logic....

And those comments of "villagers"? Provide me the link or say sources.

India and its logic:

Pakistani pigeon almost attacked India?
Logic?

I guess Sage Bharadwaja really did build a stealth warship 7 millennia back, The RSS found it , the SIR GI CAL strike is the result :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:
@The Sandman @Zibago @Moonlight @PaklovesTurkiye @Joe Shearer

Haha. I see what you did there, bro. :p

reply marked in blue, might be due to lack of electricity,ppl in Pak have no other option left then using stone age methods... lol

First of all you are just 16. Please grow up before commenting on Pakistan.

And now listen 53% of your population have no toilets. :haha:
American channel ABC made people laugh hard on last night show with this less toilets in India. :D

And there's electricity shortage in your country as well.

And now please go to school before a pigeon come in your way. ;)

I guess Sage Bharadwaja really did build a stealth warship 7 millennia back, The RSS found it , the SIR GI CAL strike is the result :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:
@The Sandman @Zibago @Moonlight @PaklovesTurkiye @Joe Shearer

I am glad to see that you know the name of Bharadwaj and even spelt it correctly. Pakistani members usually make it a childish point to mis-spell Hindu names just to show how little they care for this culture and its manifestations.

I am glad to see that you are admitting the possibility of scientific and technical discoveries before the Arabs first showed humanity what scientific progress was. It is a start.

I am glad to find you joking about the RSS. Personally, I find it an evil organisation, and your light-heartedness encourages me to believe that much of your apparent rudeness may be rooted in a child-like ignorance of danger - like a baby in a freeway.

I am glad that you have found an anodyne by your repeated use of that phrase Sir G Kal (I hope I got it right) and references to retaliation against one-sided aggression will no longer drive you and your friends crazy.

Most of all, it is a hopeful sign that, judging by your selection of mode of expression, your right brain and left brain are working together, and give the lie to my Sanghi countrymen who accuse some of you as being half-witted. I can now show them the emoticons that you have used so artistically and inform them that you are in perfect good mental health and are now in a position to imbibe information.

These are hopeful developments. Once the lightening effects wear off, perhaps serious discussions might again become possible. Miracles are still possible.

Back
Top Bottom