What's new

In Iran, Muslim youth are 'even more excited about Christmas than Christians'

Surenas

Reaction score
Christians make up less than 1 percent of Iran’s population. And yet the storefronts in Iran’s cities are full of Christmas decorations. So who is supposed to buy them? According to our Observers, the holiday has become very popular with Iranian youth, regardless of their religion.

In recent years, Iranian youth have not only taken to celebrating Christmas, they’ve also begun observing holidays popular in the Western world like Valentine’s Day and Halloween as well as revived many long-forgotten Iranian holidays, like Mehregan, an autumn harvest festival.

"Before, shops were not allowed to sell Christmas decorations, except in Christian districts. Today, they’re sold everywhere"

Andre lives in Isfahan. He is Iranian and Christian.

''Since the last elections, the social atmosphere is much more relaxed. In the years before, the government had become quite strict when it came to holidays, particularly Valentine’s Day and Christmas. Shops were not allowed to sell Christmas decorations, except in Christian districts. Today, they’re sold everywhere.

People here watch a lot of foreign channels on satellite TV, and they see that all over the world, people are in the Christmas mood. Nobody here wants to be behind the rest of the world, particularly the youth who want to stay up to date with international trends. I feel that my non-Christian friends are more enthusiastic about celebrating Christmas than Christians like me! But they look to us to see what we do, and do the same thing, like buying Christmas trees and presents.

Of course, non-Christians mostly look at it as a time to have a party. Many of them don’t even know the story behind Christmas. It’s interesting to note that unlike certain Muslim countries, I have never heard any Muslim Iranian I know say that Muslims should not be celebrating a Christmas holiday. Also, while Christians still represent only a small percentage of the population, there are more and more reports of Christian converts in Iran, so naturally people are starting to learn more about it. [Editor’s Note: Christian converts have beenarrested on a number of occasions, however, according to human rightscampaigners.]

Not all Christians in Iran celebrate Christmas, however. Orthodox Armenians go to mass, but they do not celebrate Christmas beyond that. They celebrate the last day of December, when Christ was baptised.

Myself, I'm not interested in participating in Islamic celebrations. But I do participate in ancient Persian celebrations, such as Chahar Shanbeh Souri [a celebration with fireworks on the last Wednesday of the Persian calendar year] and Nowruz [the Persian New Year]. Holidays bring us Iranians together – especially the younger generation.''

In Iran, Muslim youth are 'even more excited about Christmas than Christians' | The FRANCE 24 Observers

80e69882-b5fd-4acb-9d3c-693ee232f99e_16x9_788x442.jpg

n2584201-3674044.jpg

n2584201-3674054.jpg

n2584201-3674047.jpg

c1071638-9846-48c2-b894-f7510c8b5652_16x9_788x442.jpg

851bad74-b89a-4a17-a2dc-1eb030f542fb_16x9_788x442.jpg

n2584201-3674043.jpg

n2584201-3674064.jpg

n2584201-3674047.jpg

They should value Nowruz more than Christmas. But you could argue that Xmas had Mithradis roots (look up the roman-pathian wars)

Only Armenians celebrate christmas, here.the pictures above also belong to Armenian people.

Bullcrap. All pictures above here are of 'muslim' people. Read the article; many Iranians celebrate Christmas.

Second, Armenians don't celebrate Christmas on 25 dec, since they don't believe Jesus was born on 25 December. They celebrate Jesus's birthday in January.

Nothing wrong with celebrating Christmas if you are Muslim, I don't think Allah swt minds a festivity that centers around gift giving especially if you are gifting something to the less fortunate like many people do during Christmas. If the celebration of Jesus AS birth is a problem it should not be considering most Muslims do in fact celebrate birthdays lol. At least that is how I feel about it. :toast_sign:

Nothing wrong with celebrating Christmas if you are Muslim, I don't think Allah swt minds a festivity that centers around gift giving especially if you are gifting something to the less fortunate like many people do during Christmas. If the celebration of Jesus AS birth is a problem it should not be considering most Muslims do in fact celebrate birthdays lol. At least that is how I feel about it. :toast_sign:

Why do you seek a religious explanation or justification for a simple festivity? Iranian 'muslims' have started to celebrate Christmas because they like the atmosphere of Christmas and because they are fed up with Islamic festivities; they are not seeking the approval of mullahs to celebrate it.

Why do you seek a religious explanation or justification for a simple festivity? Iranian 'muslims' have started to celebrate Christmas because they like the atmosphere of Christmas and because they are fed up with Islamic festivities; they are not seeking the approval of mullahs to celebrate it.

Where did I say they should ask mullahs for the ok? I just gave my feelings about Christmas. :undecided: I celebrate with my friends my self. :toast_sign:

Where did I say they should ask mullahs for the ok? I just gave my feelings about Christmas. :undecided: I celebrate with my friends my self. :toast_sign:

You starting by reasoning from a Islamic point of view. I can't see why people should seek a justification from their religion to celebrate a festivity which is 'connected' to Jesus' birthday, but has slowly evolved into a international festivity. People nowadays celebrate it to seek a moment of family closeness and spiritual happiness.

Christmas has transformed into a international festivity. And many elements in Christmas has its roots in pre-Islamic Iranian culture.

And rather a western wannabe than a Arab wannabe.

The Christmas tree was a pagan tradition. In many ways, it has transformed itself into a more secular commercial holiday where people enjoy themselves.

I may be wrong, but I think Iranians like to enjoy themselves.

Bullcrap. All pictures above here are of 'muslim' people. Read the article; many Iranians celebrate Christmas.

Second, Armenians don't celebrate Christmas on 25 dec, since they don't believe Jesus was born on 25 December. They celebrate Jesus's birthday in January.

u know whats bull of crap ? its your comments and also your sources .

now get a life dude , u wont get anywhere with this crap . grow some dignity and respect your own new year festival (nowruz) you creature . push some honor in that brain

western wannabes:sarcastic:

Merry Christmas to Iranian youth.

the good thing is that you have no celebration whatsoever !! you a-rabs would consider both christmas and nowruz as beda'at (بدعت) shyt !!!

so why do u drive cars ? arent they beda'at ? you probably should travel by camels cause thats the lords will :lol:

even though , even if u wanted to , why do u have to celebrate about ? huh ? :lol: :lol:

The Christmas tree was a pagan tradition. In many ways, it has transformed itself into a more secular commercial holiday where people enjoy themselves.

I may be wrong, but I think Iranians like to enjoy themselves.

Historically, Iranians celebrated the birthday of the Iranian prophet Mithras on 25 December

The early Catholic Church didn't like it that even under the threat of the death penalty people continued to worship Mithra. On his birthday, December 25, Mithras birthday was widely celebrated with green wreaths on walls, even by Christians.

The feast of Christmas is intentionally established by the Christian Church to Christianize the feast of the birth of Mithras. Mithras was born according to the stories on the day of the winter solstice in a stable and shortly thereafter recognized as a savior by three kings who were guided by a star. Around the year 340, Pope Julius I ( 337-352 ) announced that Christians must start to celebrate the birth of Jesus on the birthday of Mithra. Gaps in the biblical story were supplemented with elements from the story of the birth of Mithras .

u know whats bull of crap ? its your comments and also your sources .

now get a life dude , u wont get anywhere with this crap . grow some dignity and respect your own new year festival (nowruz) you creature . push some honor in that brain

Haha, an Arabparast like you is telling me to start celebrating Iranian festivities. The irony.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom