What's new

In Coronavirus Crisis, Korean City Tries Openness, a Contrast to China

The situation in China outside of Hubei is pretty much in control. New cases in Hubei seems to be slowing down as well.

The peak is probably over, hopefully.
Thanks for info. Any update on fatality rate change?

I am no expert so please pardon my question. Why is it so high in Hubei?

1) Lack of medical resources. As it's the epicenter and on lockdown, no one can seek medical treatment elsewhere no matter what illness you may have. The overall healthcare system in Hubei is hence overloaded despite medical aid from other places. Many hospitals doesn't even have enough beds, whether it's for Covid-19 or for other illness.

A sad anecdote from a doctor on the front lines:
In an interview on Tuesday with Caixin, Dr Peng described his personal experiences in first encountering the disease in early January and quickly grasping its virulent potential and the need for stringent quarantine measures.

As the contagion spread and flooded his ICU, the doctor observed that three weeks seemed to determine the difference between life and death. Patients with stronger immune systems would start to recover in a couple of weeks, but in the second week, some cases would take a turn for the worse.

In the third week, keeping some of these acute patients alive might require extraordinary intervention. For this group, the death rate seems to be 4 per cent to 5 per cent, Dr Peng said. After working his 12-hour daytime shifts, the doctor spends his evenings researching the disease and has summarised his observations in a thesis.

The doctors and nurses at his hospital are overwhelmed with patients. Once they don protective hazmat suits, they go without food, drink and bathroom breaks for their entire shifts. That's because there aren't enough of the suits for a mid-shift change, he said.

Over the past month on the front lines of the coronavirus battle, Dr Peng has been brought to tears many times when forced to turn away patients for lack of staffing and beds. He said what really got to him, though, was the death of an acutely ill pregnant woman when treatment stopped for lack of money - the day before the government decided to pick up the costs of all coronavirus treatments.
Caixin: Is there anything that moved you in particular? Did you cry?

Peng: I often cried because so many patients could not be admitted to the hospital. They wailed in front of the hospital. Some patients even knelt down to beg me to accept him into the hospital. But there was nothing I could do since all beds were occupied. I shed tears while I turned them down. I ran out of tears now. I have no other thoughts but to try my best to save more lives.

The most regretful thing to me was a pregnant woman from Huanggang. She was in very serious condition. Nearly 200,000 yuan (S$39,505) was spent after more than a week in the ICU. She was from the countryside, and the money for hospitalisation was borrowed from her relatives and friends. Her condition was improving after the use of Ecmo, and she was likely to survive. But her husband decided to give up. He cried for his decision. I wept too because I felt there was hope for her to be saved. The woman died after we gave up. And exactly the next day, the government announced a new policy that offers free treatment for all coronavirus-infected patients. I feel so sorry for that pregnant woman.

The deputy director of our department told me one thing, and he cried too. Wuhan 7th Hospital is in a partnership with our hospital, South Central Hospital. The deputy director went there to help in their ICU. He found that two-thirds of the medical staff in the ICU were already infected. Doctors there were running "naked" as they knew they were set to be infected given the shortage of protective gear. They still worked there nonetheless. That was why ICU medical staff were almost all sickened. It is too tough for our doctors and nurses.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/e...ook-life-and-death-in-a-wuhan-coronavirus-icu

2) Selection bias. As the healthcare system is overloaded, they detect and treat only the most severe of cases while leaving out those with only mild symptoms. Thus the fatality rate is artificially high as the full denominator is unknown.

Last edited:
1) Lack of medical resources. As it's the epicenter and on lockdown, no one can seek medical treatment elsewhere no matter what illness you may have. The overall healthcare system in Hubei is hence overloaded despite medical aid from other places. Many hospitals doesn't even have enough beds, whether it's for Covid-19 or for other illness.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/e...ook-life-and-death-in-a-wuhan-coronavirus-icu

2) Selection bias. As the healthcare system is overloaded, they detect and treat only the most severe of cases while leaving out those with only mild symptoms. Thus the fatality rate is artificially high as the full denominator is unknown.
Thank you bro for information. Look forward to have conversation with you on another subjects.

WHO made it very clear, China's response to the outbreak was very quick and resolute, the world thanks China for her fast action and containment, you can take the issue to WHO, the highest and most authoritative global organization in this regard.
Nonsense why should we thank?

If you hadn’t shutdown Wuhan, entire China would get infected millions would die. China would become a zombie land today. If the world don’t shut down all borders to China, we would probably see millions after millions being infected. Who thanks whom?

But Ok, the virus is now coming closer here. Berlin may be the first city that will be locked down.

thank you China

you are the greatest!

Tam Dao (3 islands) south of Hanoi becomes a ghost town. Many may follow if we don’t take drastic measures.

pham2226-jpg-1582247575-6629-1-9444-6046-1582288862_r_460x0.jpg

It's a hard decision to quarantine a whole city, very few governments in the world are willing to play the role of a villain. 壮士断腕.

Many posters were out in force accusing China of delayed and slow response to quarantine and contain this unknown new virus when it first emerged in Wuhan city. Now over 2 months after the emergence of this virus let's see how quickly other countries and governments deal with it when it hits.

I do not know if you are deaf. the criticism of China is the suppression of information. It might have helped in formulating an effective response to the virus.

It is almost like a knee jerk response from Chinese government officials at all levels to suppress all bad news. Sooner or later it will be your undoing.

I do not know if you are deaf. the criticism of China is the suppression of information. It might have helped in formulating an effective response to the virus.

It is almost like a knee jerk response from Chinese government officials at all levels to suppress all bad news. Sooner or later it will be your undoing.
I do not know if you are deaf, WTO had presss conferences and made comments on China's response many times already, so who is deaf?

Anyone trusting the WHO for anything at this point is gullible. WHO has become politicised. They will cover up for regimes that are friendly to them.

The head of the WHO is the former Ethiopian foreign minister. Ethiopia has very strong relations with the CCP. So obviously the former Ethiopian foreign minister will not criticise the CCP.

The WHO is only interested in protecting the reputation of the CCP. They are not interested in helping to solve this pandemic. WHO is broken. Another institution totally corrupted by CCP influence.

What is the point of such statement? What image do you think it's giving to the world or to the nation?

Xi says China makes positive contributions to global public health security

https://www.globaltimes.cn//content/1180806.shtml

It’s a statement made by a narcissistic, egotistical, sociopath. Xi Jinping is the absolute worst.

That dictator locks up his own people for criticising the regime for its cover up. If he’s not locking up his own people, he is bribing foreign officials to protect the reputation of his dictatorship.

Back
Top Bottom