What's new

In a first, Prepaid electricity meters to be installed across Pakistan

To get electricity through meter yes.. to get electricity outside of the meter, no.. loll
It means you pay for what you use and the non payment of bills will never be an issue.

I once saw a tv program and this by the way was in 90s where in UK they showed prepaid meters for electricity. It had some sort of strip that you take out from the meter, go to your nearest store, he than swaps it and tells you the amount, you pay and come back and install the strip. Some one from UK can better explain but the point i brought this up is to show how backwards we are really when compared to the rest of the world. Prepaid meters should had been installed ages ago. Plus the excessive burden of meter reader and their corruption can also be saved. Here we had a meter reader as opposition leader of the house.
Thats right. You have a key which to take to a shop to charge and then use electricity. There is no over invoicing or non payments of bills.

I never understood why they were never underground? We dont have snow/ frost issues in MOST of Pakistani regions so the wires are better underground then being cooked during summer!
The best way is having all utilities - gas, electricity, water, internet/phone cables underground. It requires more work but then we have millions of unemployed in Pakistan. Give them a spade and get on with it. The advantages are the wires underground are more secure and less liable to damage becuse they are protected from the elements. In UK almost all utilities are underground. In addition having them hanging is dangerous and they look ugly.

In a first, Prepaid electricity meters to be installed across Pakistan
3 Sep, 2018

in-a-first-prepaid-electricity-meters-to-be-installed-across-pakistan-1535972465-7989.jpg

ISLAMABAD - Economic Coordination Committee of Cabinet has decided to disconnect electricity connections of consumers who fail to pay bills for three months.

The decision was taken at a meeting of the Committee, chaired by Finance Minister Asad Umar in Islamabad on Monday.

The meeting decided to install prepaid electricity meters .

It was also decided that an operational and financial audit of energy sector will be conducted.
we are using it in india .best tool to realise revenue.

We live in a world of smart metering and smartgrids and this is what they came up With???

I cannot grasp the logic behind it. Its impractical to say the very least

Arey log phir bhi bijli chori karainge..

I know a family in my previous neighborhood.. They turn the ACs on when they aren't at home even.. Some people say that they do it because they don't want ACs to take time for cooling.

I got them checked by KESC forcefully.. I tried to inform KESC several times, they were not acting.. then I sent an anonymous email to KESC and copied governor Sindh (Ishrat ul Ibaad at that time), CM Sindh, KESC CEO and many other people.. The next day KESC team came.. caught the family.. put some light fine, and went away..

Next week, the family again started electricity theft.. one of the maids told someone that they pay monthly 5000 to KESC guys to steal 25000 Rs electricity..

Kuchh nahi hosakta bhai.. pata nahi kia kia hai meter main.. meter bahir laga hua hai.. aik button hai kaheen andar ghar main.. woh button neechay hota hai tou AC direct hojatay hain.. upar hota hai tou AC meter pe aajatay hain.. lolll

Main ne bhi socha dafa karo jab KESC ko fikar nahi tou main kyun karun..

Bhai CjP ko bolo ye jo copper churaya ha usko dam making me lagaday.

Those who want prepaid package will pay themselves for new meter
Perfect!
If that is what they are going to do, that is a perfect solution really. win win situation really.
But
Why would people want to switch to prepaid really?

And have the cost of changing the meters nationwide being discussed? It will be in billions of rupees, massive!! Perhaps the same can be used elsewhere and the electricity theft can be resolved by making sure the policy (which is already in place) of jail time and fine is implemented.

That is a fair point, but I believe this initiative will pay itself back in a big way. If you have other better ideas to combat electricity theft I am all ears.

The best way is having all utilities - gas, electricity, water, internet/phone cables underground. It requires more work but then we have millions of unemployed in Pakistan. Give them a spade and get on with it. The advantages are the wires underground are more secure and less liable to damage becuse they are protected from the elements. In UK almost all utilities are underground. In addition having them hanging is dangerous and they look ugly.

Very well said brother. In Karachi we have seen the latest incident with a kid being electrocuted and losing both arms. In other words, his life has been destroyed.

This has many advantages and it will also stimulate jobs. The electrical wiring hanging all over the place is a disaster waiting to unfold.

This is a drawing room approach ... With digital meters issue of recovery is over you just need to ensure that if bills remained unpaid for 2 months then connection is terminated ... In today's world no one can live without electricity ...

So without changing to prepaid mode payment issue can be controlled with strict policies ... Real issue is power theft through KUNDA system ...

You have to strengthen the law and its implemntation for power theft ,,, Power theft should be treated a criminal offence as harsh as any other theft and rules for evidence should be modified to cover the real-life scenarios ...

View attachment 496327

Uncle the situation on the ground is different.
People have dealings with the meter reading staff and they take a monthly share and write a lower meter reading for them. Other people find ways to alter the meter itself.
Prepaid removes the corruption from the meter reading staff and also reduces the need for the manpower.

Uncle the situation on the ground is different.
People have dealings with the meter reading staff and they take a monthly share and write a lower meter reading for them. Other people find ways to alter the meter itself.
Prepaid removes the corruption from the meter reading staff and also reduces the need for the manpower.

Kid try to use common sense ... If they can bribe the meter reading guy then can't they bribe him for Kunda connection ? Bribery to meter reading is even traceable,,, but Kunda is not traceable unless caught by the same staff you are alleging to be taking bribery ...

WHy are you recommending to treat the system and why not to take action against actual disease which is corruption?

Why can't such briberies are negligible in professional private organizations? Because they have rules and they ensure its implementation ...

The real issue is corruption otherwise theft is not possible so we have to make rules to counter corruption otherwise we address just one method of theft and another one will be ready ... WHat will you do if people start hacking into the network for fre prepaid users, will you bain IT education ?

adress the cause not the symptoms ...

Yes, I know in UK everything is underground same with Singapore, Malaysia and every other country who cares about safety and saving money! What I dont get is why hasnt Pakistan done this? I mean ...that is what the guys who made the street at my dadiyal told us when they tore the street the 3rd or 4th time that they forgot to install the wires....yet wires are not underground?

Phase one prepaid meter
Phase two changes of high voltage transmission lines (upgrade will save some power loss in transmission)
Phase three changes of distribution lines(install wires that can't be altered or bury them underground).

In order for the government to carry out phase two or three, it needs revenue and prepaid meters will help.

You have got to start from somewhere and we are already too late but at least emphasis has been given and I hope it will be the top priority. People with kunda system shows the mindset and corrupt to the core and these idiots needs a proper lesson.

Enough is enough.

And have the cost of changing the meters nationwide being discussed? It will be in billions of rupees, massive!! Perhaps the same can be used elsewhere and the electricity theft can be resolved by making sure the policy (which is already in place) of jail time and fine is implemented.
Let's see who gets the tender for the new energy meters. :-)

Back
Top Bottom