What's new

Imran still chasing talks with military establishment

Imran still chasing talks with military establishment

ISLAMABAD: Former prime minister Imran Khan on Monday ruled out talks with the government led by Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif calling it an exercise in futility, but appeared to be keen on initiating a dialogue with the military establishment — the ‘real decision makers’.

Talking to the media during his appearance at the Islamabad High Court (IHC) in connection with multiple cases, the PTI chairman said that he did not believe in “vengeance and will strive for the rule of law” if he came to power again.

In response to a question whether he was ready to hold talks with politicians on the charter of economy, Mr Khan replied that politicians, including the incumbent rulers, were “powerless and they have no authority to conclude the dialogues”. The establishment is the “real decision maker and power is concentrated” within the military, he claimed.

Mr Khan accused former army chief Qamar Javed Bajwa of “backstabbing” and said that he could have sacked Mr Bajwa on at least three different occasions, but he exercised restraint. The PTI chief dispelled the impression of being under pressure and said that he was more concerned for the economy.

He said that the debt servicing exceeded the federal budget, the economy was on the verge of default, and industry had almost collapsed and added that all the economic indicators declined in just one year.

He said that the incumbent government was responsible for the poor economy and the only solution for this problem was to explore venues of income generation, mega reforms, and taking drastic measures.

He further said that his government was buying Russian oil at 40 per cent less price. “Is this a solution, is this a reason for toppling my regime?” he questioned. It may be noted that the first shipment of Russian fuel reached Pakistan on Sunday.

In a comment on the statement of the opposition leader in the National Assembly about a delay in general elections, Mr Khan said that the ruling coalition was reluctant to hold elections even in October fearing defeat. He said that they thought PTI would be crushed but they could only dream for this. He termed the departure of heavyweights from his party ‘as a blessing in disguise’, saying that “he got rid of the electables and that those who had parted ways with him and formed a new party are the ultimate losers”. He was optimistic about winning the next general elections even if he would be jailed.

Mr Khan also distanced himself from the drugs case registered against Rana Sanaullah during his tenure and blamed it on the Anti-Narcotics Force (ANF) headed by a serving major general who had briefed the federal cabinet on the arrest of Mr Sanaullah.

He expressed apprehensions about his military trial in connection with the May 9 violence and said that the authorities were turning “approvers to charge him” under the Army Act. He termed trials of civilians in military courts as the end of democracy and justice.

Bail in graft case

Earlier, Mr Khan appeared before the IHC to pursue his petition seeking direction for the chief commissioner to shift at least four courts from Sector F-8 Markaz to the comparatively secure Federal Judicial Complex (FJC) in Sector G-11.

His lawyer stated that due to the fragile law and order situation in Sector F-8 Markaz, it was not convenient for Mr Khan to appear in the relevant judicial magistrates/trial courts.

These cases were based on the FIRs registered at four police stations in Islamabad.

Also on Monday, the PTI chairman filed two separate petitions, one of which pertained to a corruption case registered in Dera Ghazi Khan.

IHC Chief Justice Aamer Farooq granted Mr Khan protective bail in the corruption case and directed him to approach the chief commissioner for shifting of courts from F-8 to the judicial complex in G-11.

Published in Dawn, June 13th, 2023

IK's passiveness proved to be his undoing. You can never dislodge an entrenched military establishment through peaceful democratic means. It's never happened in the history of the world. We have three examples from our immediate neighborhood that proves this maxim, i.e. Bangladesh, Iranian revolution and the Taliban.

Taking up arms against the worlds 6th largest military is suicide. What would be the most possible outcome of if IK had not be so passive.

1. Massacre of people ( just like what happened in East Pakistan )
2. Breakup of the country
3. If by some miracle the people do win, it would mean a weakened military which will not be able to defend the country from foreign threats.

Do you see any other possible outcome?

Taking up arms against the worlds 6th largest military is suicide. What would be the most possible outcome of if IK had not be so passive.

3. If by some miracle the people do win, it would mean a weakened military which will not be able to defend the country from foreign threats.

Bengalis did and Afghans fought against bigger odds.

Turkey !!! Erdogan came in to power 20 or so ago when the military was very much entrenched similar to how it is in Pakistan but gradually he was able to reduce their power and eventually dislodged them. The key was good governance...

The military rebellion against Erdogan was crushed by a paramilitary force that was in the control of the Ministry of Interior.

The only way civilian supremacy in Pakistan can be guaranteed in the future would be if there is a balancing armed force under civilian control. Maybe the rangers?

Khan is confident and he want to convey the message to the power house theat he is still unbeaten and their is no way to beat him down , come to the table talk and lets talk on elections , which is the only way to get out economic mess , these rat shits like dawn and jang news groups have no clue what they are talking about in the hate of khan

Because the establishment does not look at things as a zero sum game.

The issue with your assessment is that it is debatable whether the ‘establishment’ even exists in Pakistan. That’s what I used to think but now it seems that policies are made by one man, the COAS, and a few henchmen and it is imposed on the whole military as if it’s a joint decision.

The recent formation commanders’ meeting issued a statement as if it was a joint decision. In reality it was written by Asim Munir and presented to the world as a joint decision. As far as I’ve heard no one else was asked for their opinion and no one dared question it.

So, I don’t think there’s any such thing as the ‘establishment.’ It’s more like decisions are made for the personal interests of the COAS, like his extension, his business interests, etc. Then the decision is presented to everyone as the policy of the establishment.

since when does negotiating with terrorists work

not much different from myanmar and africa tinpot dictatorshis anymore

Last edited:
It's amazing how Pakistan's English media is now all of a sudden pro military establishment.

The fact they wrote a politician is "chasing" for "talks" with an entity that disregards the constitution and political process is astounding.

Not a single word about the fact this entity has no legal right to do what it's doing.

Shameful display of media Whore houses on display.

Don’t insult whores … they probably have more dignity

Fykk3Y3akAEXJg-

At least khan can run … poor nawaz .. he needs a motorized wheel chair to move around

I believe you are 100% right. This country is a social contract between father and son, as Bhutto rightly called Ayub, in essence, the military, abbu ji; we failed to understand its meaning then. So we, the common man, have ourselves to blame.

However, as you mentioned, their approach is slow-moving and very conservative. Still, all their political engineering has failed to produce any beneficial results for the common man overall as they've been busy keeping an eye on each other's tails not to step on. It's as if looking at the phone while driving on the highway is a sure way to get everyone killed in the vehicle and kill those in the other car.

I think, however, the military might need to step back and let the political process play out and mature on its own; yes, it could bring instability for some time, but that's how a new life is born through painful labor. We can't keep creating Frankensteins as they become deranged over time. A Frankenstein made of many parts doesn't feel its own self, and it's a bottle of many things it's not.

I just don't understand the POV of military apologists, and I was one of them at some time too.

We all say, or used to say, that the military has a holistic view of things, and is non-political, it puts the country first. So it sees things that a politician can't see, it can take the hard decisions, it can take the necessary decisions.

Magr 70 saal main say 40 saal in ki hakoomat rahi, aur pichlay 10 aik saal say bhi in ki hi hakoomat hai.

So what good has come out of that rule? Jab bhi yeh aye hain chawwal hi mari hai.

Teri bund vich?
its ok, you anger is totally understandable .. but respect older people ...ignore, fight the illogical argument with facts .. and you are sensible person ..

its ok, you anger is totally understandable .. but respect older people ...ignore, fight the illogical argument with facts .. and you are sensible person ..
He's patwari so logic isn't something he can decipher. Just give him a plate of biryani and he'll sell his own mother.

I just don't understand the POV of military apologists, and I was one of them at some time too.

We all say, or used to say, that the military has a holistic view of things, and is non-political, it puts the country first. So it sees things that a politician can't see, it can take the hard decisions, it can take the necessary decisions.

Magr 70 saal main say 40 saal in ki hakoomat rahi, aur pichlay 10 aik saal say bhi in ki hi hakoomat hai.

So what good has come out of that rule? Jab bhi yeh aye hain chawwal hi mari hai.
Last few weeks I read about 1000 years of Muslims rule in India ...in all scenario, I found the interesting fact , in every king's court , appointed sip e salar the last one to ask for advice on state matters. Justice/punishment related issues always referred to courts. State matters resolved through advisory council and we never seen any major crisis during Muslims rule in India, beside few forcefully do some conversions in that region. Otherwise the rulers always emphasis on create a balance of power in society through dialogue.... well ...

While I don't agree with #1 and 2--because I don't think Pakistanis rise up for revolutions or 'democracy' etc. #3 is the very likely outcome: You demolish that without providing an alternative, you destroy Pakistan. Look at Pakistan's geopolitical situation!
Anyway, the 6th largest military, which confronts a power like India every day, is more than capable of crushing any political party.

There was absolutely no conflict between PTI and the Establishment to begin with. Unfortunately, Imran's impatient path back to power was through co-opting some in the Establishment while maligning others. A historic blunder and an unnecessary one too.

I believe it was fed to us over time that they are Pakistan's educated and competent class. We swallowed this logic hook, line, and sinker. But also remember the population wasn't as aware of things as they are now; information is now readily available at one's fingertips before what was broadcasted was the only news.

Also, remember it takes time for the realization of things to set in and learn we've f*cked up.

The military rebellion against Erdogan was crushed by a paramilitary force that was in the control of the Ministry of Interior.

The only way civilian supremacy in Pakistan can be guaranteed in the future would be if there is a balancing armed force under civilian control. Maybe the rangers?
Bhutto had one FSF and it failed to protect him.

Back
Top Bottom