Country
Pakistan
Hero or Zero?
s_najam-sethi1.jpg

Najam Sethi
clock.png
TFT Issue: 16 May 2014

f-page-13-may-2014.jpg

Once General Pervez Musharraf was Imran Khan’s great hero because he expected to get the top berth from the general. But when Musharraf chose Zafarullah Jamali and then Shaukat Aziz as prime minister, Imran Khan changed Musharraf’s status to a big zero.

Once the Geo/Jang Group was Imran’s great hero because it was supporting him to the hilt before the elections. But after the elections, when Geo became critical of Imran’s policies and positions, it was reduced to a big bloated zero.

Once the former Chief Justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry was Imran’s great hero for constantly knocking down the PPP. But after Chaudhry didn’t buy into Imran’s election petitions, he was blasted as a big treacherous zero.

Once Chief Election Commissioner Fakhruddin G Ibrahim was Imran’s great hero. But when Ibrahim couldn’t deliver on Imran’s great expectations, he was charged with being a big incompetent zero.

Imran Khan’s blossoming political alliances are also noteworthy. The MQM was once his pet-hate, now his stunning silence is a prelude to a budding alliance for mid-term elections. Much the same sort of bonhomie is beginning to tell between Imran and the Chaudhrys of Gujrat. Once they were allegedly Musharraf’s partners in crime because they refused to give him any electoral leverage in Punjab during the 2002 elections. Now they are comrades-in-arms in the joint struggle to destabilize, weaken and eventually get rid of Nawaz Sharif.

Imran’s relationship with the “Angels” is another fascinating subject for research. He has unfailingly whipped up public sentiment in their favour whenever they have been cross with elected civilian governments: on Rehman Malik’s attempt to bring the political wing of the ISI under his boot; on the “objectionable” clauses in the Kerry-Lugar-Berman aid to Pakistan bill; on the May 2nd Osama bin Laden debacle; on Memogate; on the “state within the state” accusation by the then prime minister, Yousaf Raza Gilani; on the blockage of NATO supplies following Salala; and now most vociferously on the Geo/Jang/ISI confrontation (he is silent on the Musharraf case which is a very big concession to them). An Ex-DGISI’s attempt to pressurise assorted politicians to join the PTI in 2012 is well known.

Indeed, it is this dubious relationship that helps to explain the induction of several key politicians into Imran Khan’s fold despite the lofty “lota” credentials of some of them. Sheikh Rashid, who has a ringside seat in the inner circle of IK advisors, is a self-claimed GHQ man who was once Nawaz Sharif’s and then Musharraf’s federal minister. Asad Omar is the son of an army general and hails from an “army family”; Shah Mahmood Qureshi jumped the PPP ship when nudged by the Angels on the Raymond Davis affair; Jehangir Tareen was Musharraf’s blue-eyed boy; Shafqat Mahmood served in Musharraf’s Punjab cabinet in 2000; Khurshid Kasuri was Musharraf’s Foreign Minister; and so on.

More significantly, Imran’s decision to launch a “movement” on May 11 is clearly aimed at destablising the Sharif regime. It has been followed up by a vicious attack on the Geo/Jang Group and a stinging denunciation of the ex-CJP and judiciary. This betrays the perennial objective of the Angels to keep every civilian government in a hunkered down defensive posture vis a vis the military establishment. In 1998 Benazir Bhutto was lumped with President Ishaq Khan and Foreign Minister Sahibzada Yaqub Khan while Aitzaz Ahsan was swiftly cut down to size for being soft on India, later she was sacked. In 1990, Nawaz Sharif was lumped with President Ishaq and Gen Waheed Kakar and shown the door in 1993. In 1997, when Nawaz Sharif got too big for his boots after easing out both President Farooq Leghari and COAS Gen Jehangir Karamat, he was ousted by a military coup. President Asif Zardari was hounded on one pretext or the other by the Angels from 2008-13, in alliance with the media and judiciary. Now Nawaz Sharif is in trouble over his attempt to try Musharraf for treason and to seize control of national security and foreign policy.

Some people say the Angels are planning another Islami Jamhoori Ittehad a la the late 1980s with Imran Khan as their opening batsman like they did with Nawaz Sharif earlier. The problem with this theory is that the Angels had to contend with only one popular force in 1988. Now there will be two, PPP and PMNL, covering both Sindh and Punjab, which will make it very difficult to play such a game. More likely, the Angels are only seeking to rap Nawaz Sharif on the knuckles and teach him to stay in his place on key issues like national security, foreign policy and the “sacred cow” status of the military rather than putting their faith in Imran Khan to lead Pakistan next. In order words, they are “using” Imran Khan for their own political goals just as they have used other politicians in the past. Therefore who will be hero and who will be zero remains to be seen.

- See more at: Hero or Zero? ‹ The Friday Times

Once Chief Election Commissioner Fakhruddin G Ibrahim was Imran’s great hero. But when Ibrahim couldn’t deliver on Imran’s great expectations, he was charged with being a big incompetent zero.

Lol..ofcourse, the elections were rigged, then who on the earth would still consider Chief Election Commissioner great?

Once the Geo/Jang Group was Imran’s great hero because it was supporting him to the hilt before the elections. But after the elections, when Geo became critical of Imran’s policies and positions, it was reduced to a big bloated zero.

After All these episodes, one must be anti-Pakistani and utterly mad, if he keep supporting GEO.

More significantly, Imran’s decision to launch a “movement” on May 11 is clearly aimed at destablising the Sharif regime.

Had it been May 12, would you still be saying the same thing? Astrologist ?

Now Nawaz Sharif is in trouble over his attempt to try Musharraf for treason and to seize control of national security and foreign policy.

Who said that? I thought Nawaz Sharif is troubled because he rigged the elections and is on fake mandate :cheers:

It's a flawed article, written by a narrow minded person.
Ohhh, I completely ignored the writer, its written by Najam Sethi :cuckoo:

Hero = Imran Khan (INSHALLAH)
ZERO = Najam Sethi with ganga and group!

I always found Imran khan politically quite impulsive & immature to begin with, instead of focusing on governing KPK for which the people of that province entrusted him with the responsibility but unfortunately instead of focusing on governing KPK, Mr.Khan reciprocated their trust by indulging in nonsensical agitations ! , especially at a time when the economic indicators are showing some signs of improvement, he in his bitterness of the election defeat, is putting the whole nation in to a nonsensical chaos, by doing his "Dhandli" "Dhandli" ranting's & useless Dharnas ! & by doing this, he has literally killed the very hope & aspirations on which he once rode !, therefore Imran khan is neither a hero nor a zero, in fact if anything, he is a glaring chapter in the books of prominent "political suicide" ! ,from which lesson are to be learned from, so to sum it up, Imran khan is a tragedy of his own whimsical immaturity !

Last edited:
I never always found Imran khan politically quite impulsive & immature to begin with & instead of focusing on governing KPK for which thee people of that province gave him the responsibility , just when the economic situation is showing some signs of improvement

As far as strategy of Imran Khan is concerned, you response is quite illogical. The very purpose of this dharna is not to collapse the economy or revenge but all this is for "Electoral reforms", which shall ensure that future governments (whether mid-election or not) are TRUE and CORRECT representative of the Nation. So, next time when elections are held there would be no scope of vote-rigging.
All this is for the betterment of Pakistan. If elections are fair/not rigged every person would gladly accept the victory/defeat. However, the very idea of electoral reforms is creating havoc political chaos in Pakistan.

And by the way I never see Imran Khan carrier as "political suicide", as whenever i see the crowd, I see motivated large crowd gathered to support the True Khan..be it Islamabad...Karachi or any part of Pakistan!

From Zero To a Hero & Zero again.

By looking at the development/progress in KPK comparatively as compared to last governments and supports in Karachi and rest of the Pakistan only senseless person might say he is zero.

As far as strategy of Imran Khan is concerned, you response is quite illogical. The very purpose of this dharna is not to collapse the economy or revenge but all this is for "Electoral reforms", which shall ensure that future governments (whether mid-election or not) are TRUE and CORRECT representative of the Nation. So, next time when elections are held there would be no scope of vote-rigging.
All this is for the betterment of Pakistan. If elections are fair/not rigged every person would gladly accept the victory/defeat. However, the very idea of electoral reforms is creating havoc political chaos in Pakistan.

And by the way I never see Imran Khan carrier as "political suicide", as whenever i see the crowd, I see motivated large crowd gathered to support the True Khan..be it Islamabad...Karachi or any part of Pakistan!

By looking at the development/progress in KPK comparatively as compared to last governments and supports in Karachi and rest of the Pakistan only senseless person might say he is zero.
look, you ve got your views & reasons I ve got mine ! & I choose to stand by my views & my view of Imran khan's political carrier Remains of that of "political suicide"

Musharraf is a fool. He would have been better served and so would have Pakistan had he appointed Imran Khan as Prime Minister instead of that low life Shaukat Aziz.

The dumbiest and vision-less leader can't deliver ... Anyhow premiership was the reason after not happening then this low life Imran Khan went against Musharraf ................

@hasnain0099 @Tameem
I dont understand one thing, if interference in civilian govt is so much necessary then why they (M.E) didnt made an amendment in the constitution of Pakistan. I mean an amendment that allows M.E to interfere in country's Politics (Like Turkey), make it legitimate. They ruled this contry for almost 33years and after Constitution of Pakistan 1973, they ruled 20-21 years.
WHY THEY DIDNT SIMPLY MADE AN AMENDMENT ? ? ?

@hasnain0099 @Tameem
I dont understand one thing, if interference in civilian govt is so much necessary then why they (M.E) didnt made an amendment in the constitution of Pakistan. I mean an amendment that allows M.E to interfere in country's Politics (Like Turkey), make it legitimate. They ruled this contry for almost 33years and after Constitution of Pakistan 1973, they ruled 20-21 years.

Bcz they are plain hypocrates and cowards of the biggest cadres.

They needs Civillians Tenure just to avoids the fallout of their earlier rule, in which they didn't allow civillians to devise a single policy of thier own, keep them internal fighting and than BANG again with another mandate....this is their policy for last 67 years.....IK or Ptians samajhtay hain establishment unkee muhabbat main unke saath hai:tsk:

@hasnain0099 @Tameem
Its not entirely false that M.E never made any amendments in Pakistani Laws, However, there are two fundamental differences in Pakistan and Turkey.
1- In Turkey, Ata Turk explicitly made Turkish forces responsible for maintaining the secular identity of Turkey, So it provided them a legitimate reason to interfere whenever they wish, as they please. On the contrary, Quaid (R.A) explicitly forbade military's role in politics and asserted the civilian supremacy over even the command structure.
One thing more, I am persuaded to say this because during my talks with one or two very high-ranking officers I discovered that they did not know the implications of the Oath taken by the troops of Pakistan. Of course, an oath is only a matter of form; what are more important are the true spirit and the heart.

But it is an important form, and I would like to take the opportunity of refreshing your memory by reading the prescribed oath to you.

“I solemnly affirm, in the presence of Almighty God, that I owe allegiance to the Constitution and Dominion of Pakistan (mark the words Constitution and the Government of the Dominion of Pakistan) and that I will as in duty bound honestly and faithfully serve in the Dominion of Pakistan Forces and go within the terms of my enrolment wherever I may be ordered by air, land or sea and that I will observe and obey all commands of any officer set over me…..”

As I have said just now, the spirit is what really matters. I should like you to study the Constitution, which is in force in Pakistan, at present and understand its true constitutional and legal implications when you say that you will be faithful to the Constitution of the Dominion.
I want you to remember and if you have time enough you should study the Government of India Act, as adapted for use in Pakistan, which is our present Constitution, that the executive authority flows from the Head of the Government of Pakistan, who is the governor-general and, therefore, any command or orders that may come to you cannot come without the sanction of the Executive Head. This is the legal position.
Responsibilities of the Defence force (14th Jun 1948) |Quaid-e-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah
2-In Pakistan, M.E did make changes which suited their interest at that time. For example, the army act only applied to the servicemen and civilians were completely excluded from it. In Zia's regime, the application was extended to include civilans as well. This provided M.E with powers and legal backing to abduct civilans as they consider fit.

Najam Sethi professional morals = Pit level.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom