What's new

Improvement in Pakistan-Russia relations

The visit is historical and opens great opportunities for enhanced Economic links. Tajikistan is playing a very important role. and tashkent is being left out which definitely it deserves because of its arrogant policy

Ambassador M K Bhadrakumar was a career diplomat in the Indian Foreign Service. His assignments included the Soviet Union, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Germany, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Kuwait and Turkey.

Just looking at that, I am inclined to go with this analysis; he hits the nail right when he correlates Obama's visit to India with the Sochi summit.

This guy has experience and that too of the right type.

I have been saying this back and fourth! Get ready for a massive change between Pakistan and Russian ties. This will greatly enhance our role in the regional and will have a very positive impact on our side.
There are many many many more gifts to be unwrapped in near future.
;)

I am the only member of PDF which talked about Pakistan-Russian ties in detail!
The Indians and Pakistanis used to drag me--My first post about this issue was in Jan 09!
Future is very bright, TRUST ME!

"As things stand, Moscow is uneasy about the huge build-up of the US-Indian partnership in the recent years. Curiously, so is Islamabad. "
Even if this is exaggerated, pipe line is full of gifts! I remember when I said the same thing and Indians used to bully me!

I have read Russian minds very very closely! Moreover, I have a God gifted talent and I can assure you the future. Even if the article is exaggerated, my stance is the same. You will see Pakistan and Russia on the same boat while India will slowly drift away! TRUST ME!

India will get immense opportunities from the U.S. and Europe! And this will be very encouraging for Indians!

Last edited:

You mean industrial & infrastructure development support? Improved military/security ties or even weapons sales? Rus-Pak civil nuclear cooperation? Better trade & integration with Russia & CARs? :bounce:

What exactly do you mean? :pop:

I have been saying this back and fourth! Get ready for a massive change between Pakistan and Russian ties. This will greatly enhance our role in the regional and will have a very positive impact on our side.
;)

I am the only member of PDF which talked about Pakistan-Russian ties in detail!
The Indians and Pakistanis used to drag me--My first post about this issue was in Jan 09!
Future is very bright, TRUST ME!

"As things stand, Moscow is uneasy about the huge build-up of the US-Indian partnership in the recent years. Curiously, so is Islamabad. "
Even if this is exaggerated, pipe line is full of gifts! I remember when I said the same thing and Indians used to bully me!

I have read Russian minds very very closely! Moreover, I have a God gifted talent and I can assure you the future. Even if the article is exaggerated, my stance is the same. You will see Pakistan and Russia on the same boat while India will slowly drift away! TRUST ME!

India will get immense opportunities from the U.S. and Europe! And this will be very encouraging for Indians!
sir, we have recently signed deals with russia worth of $20 bn. it is very difficult to offset india russia friendship

You mean industrial & infrastructure development support? Improved military/security ties or even weapons sales? Rus-Pak civil nuclear cooperation? Better trade & integration with Russia & CARs? :bounce:

What exactly do you mean? :pop:

Everything!

Would be possible Military build-up between Pakistan and Russia (in future)...

Pakistan would become first important country in the world in dealing with "three" superpower USA, China, and........Russia (ie. JFT-RD-93 engines).

It is not only about military and economy. Cultural exchange will be beneficial too!

While I don't always find Ambassador Bhadrakumar's analysis compeling, I do always enjoy reading it - It's important not just for where the ambassador points but also where he does not.

We have argued that the US is engaged in "muscling into" an area where others have done long and hard work - Note:

Without doubt, Moscow is rattled that its influence is waning in a wide arc stretching from Kazakhstan to Iran and thinks that it must do something about it.

The latest evidence of shrinking influence is Turkmenistan's defiant decision last week to allow American oil majors into its gas sector, which might at last pave the way for the realization of the US's trans-Caspian energy pipelines, especially Nabucco, bypassing Russian territory and heading directly to Western markets - something that Moscow all along has been opposing tooth and nail.

The US has also repaired its relations with Kazakhstan. Here, the upcoming OSCE summit in Astana becomes a major forum for the two countries to work closer than ever on issues of regional security. It is a safe bet that American diplomats will strain every nerve to bring Kazakh policies into harmony with US strategy in Central Asia and the post-Soviet space in general.

Similarly, the US is steadily advancing its influence on the political scene in Kyrgyzstan even amid the extreme volatility there at the moment. The project to bring in the OSCE as the main provider of regional security has been a masterstroke in sidelining the CSTO.

The US is pushing its OSCE project while blithely ignoring Moscow's disquiet and is sidestepping the Kyrgyz public's outcry against foreign intervention in internal affairs. Unsurprisingly, in the process Washington has succeeded in getting its military base in Manas delisted as a point of controversy.

Kyrgyzstan must be counted as a signal victory for the US regional strategy of engaging Russia within the ambit of an overall ''reset'' of ties. The single biggest success of American diplomacy in Central Asia, however, has been the normalization of relations with Uzbekistan, which arguably is the key country on regional security issues.

It is interesting that the Ambassador points to the Russian and not the Chinese, who have much bigger stakes in the region than the Russian.

The ambassador makes an interesting point, one which most all of our Indian forum members seem to find offensive:

The fact of the matter is that Moscow - like Tehran or Washington or London - understands that any effective Afghan policy needs to go hand in hand with a meaningful bilateral relationship with Islamabad. Ideally speaking, a degree of strategic understanding becomes necessary, but then the Pakistanis aren't easy customers

Now, if only Dehli would, like Moscow, tehran, Washington, Paris, London, and Beijing, understand the same thing - potentially, all of the manuvering of these powers will become useless, senseless and those consulates would perform valuable servcies elsewhere in the world - leaving an strategic development that in conjunction with Kashmir would signal an almost cosmic shift in international power and commercial relations - alas.

Russians in warm water ports? Yeah sure, but why not in Chah Bahar?? It's just a bit of a canard, this whole Russians and warm waters, after all, there is and has been, Karachi and Bandar Qasim.

I have showed pictures of Pakistan Northern areas and coastal areas to my Russian friends and trust me they never knew that we had all of this! Some of them really wanna visit Pakistan--It will take sometime to develop ties but future will tell us everything!
Time is the mother of human kind!

Originally posted by Muse

"Russians in warm water ports? Yeah sure, but why not in Chah Bahar?? It's just a bit of a canard, this whole Russians and warm waters, after all, there is and has been, Karachi and Bandar Qasim."

I am in favour of giving a leeway to the Russians to a certain extent. Well, we have to loose something to gain something, isn't it?

There is no win win situation in world affairs, I simply disagree with that logic. You sacrifice 90 percent or .09 percent, you still sacrificed something in order to gain something. I mean, I might sound very illogical at this given time but who knows that future holds. Current trends predict future and my analysis is worth reading. Well, not an analysis but simply a view point! We need Russia in our camp along with China which already is and other Central asian countries. It might not happen in next five to ten years; however, which I think is not true because time is not that far but the dividend for us will be huge. Although we have to compromise in a way but its worth taking a calculated risk!

Speaking of canard, I think Russia needs a foothold in Asia just like the U.S. Long are the days when the U.S. was expanding. In order to live peacefully, we need multi polar world. Well, I am a bit pessimistic about Russian Military presence in Pakistan but nonetheless, we can open our markets (economic) to the Russians and vice versa. I am not saying that we should isolate ourselves from the west but we should open our minds and let the new things come in.

I am not quoting your other line here but I think you gave an idea of China being more influential than Russia in energy sector. I beg to differ here, Russia has a strong foothold in energy sector than Chinese do! Of course just my view point!

Last edited:
Saad

I think you misunderstand - I am all in favor of better and profitable relations with Russia - If you have read me before I argued that US prepares Pakistan for a regional conflict - read the section I have quoted in my post above (though that does not contain Iran) -- and Pakistan needs no wars.

The point I was making was about soemthing not included in Ambassador Bhadrakumar's presentation, which was Chah Bahar? Remember Russians in Pakistan without meaningful commercial relations , will mean unbearable pressure for American in Iran, overnight the American will be singing the virtues of the Iranian, the heck with the persian and all that.

You will also note the role the ambassador thinks Tajikistan will play and that it is uneasy in this role - DO you buy that? I don't.

There were days when Baku was considered the oil capital of the world--There is a big Russian monopoly in energy sector. There are two things which Russia inherited after USSR collapsed; one is the remaining of KGB and the other is Gazprom--

GAZPROM!

Last edited:
Saad

I think you misunderstand - I am all in favor of better and profitable relations with Russia - If you have read me before I argued that US prepares Pakistan for a regional conflict - read the section I have quoted in my post above (though that does not contain Iran) -- and Pakistan needs no wars.

The point I was making was about soemthing not included in Ambassador Bhadrakumar's presentation, which was Chah Bahar? Remember Russians in Pakistan without meaningful commercial relations , will mean unbearable pressure for American in Iran, overnight the American will be singing the virtues of the Iranian, the heck with the persian and all that.

You will also note the role the ambassador thinks Tajikistan will play and that it is uneasy in this role - DO you buy that? I don't.

Well, I don't think that Tehran will be singing American songs because of Russian and Pakistani ties. I am not in favour of giving Russia a naval base of any sort in Pakistan at this time. You are right, we should have commercial relation with Russia. I am up for civilian to civilian relations which will create a strong bond between two nations and two distinct cultures.

"You will also note the role the ambassador thinks Tajikistan will play and that it is uneasy in this role - DO you buy that? I don't."

Well, I sort of agree with your point but I have to read more to come up with a conclusion of my own which of course has a room to be wrong.

Moreover, no sane Pakistani will be willing to give Russian military a leeway, it is jut not possible!

Muse, nice to hear that you are in favour of the mutual relationship!
I honour that!

well friendship with Russia dat was the idea of a Great Leader BACHA KHAN !!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom