What's new

IDN TAKE: Main Battle Tank ARJUN: The Mighty Beast

Arjun_MBT_CAG_Report.png

There is no better proof than this. Why do Arjun need mine ploughs when they are not added to T series? For everyone questioning the indigenous content, for 100 odd tanks how can we indigenise components? Is that even economically feasible? Tejas and Arjun will always be a black mark in our defense procurement strategy. No-one goes to college without passing through school, similarly we cant have a superior indigenous product without gradual progression. Our armed forces need the best in the world from day one, why? Why do we think spending money for T-72 upgrade is worth than improving our local product? Not comparing T72 and Arjun, but the mindset of our army.

Good Day all!

ARJUN is one of the finest tank in IA,every tanker swear about it.But unfortunately it undermined by dalal ,while Manohar parikar is just sitting at fences and shouting make in India slogan till now.Honestly, I asked an IA officer and he is in artillery unit at Deolali.He said that arjun future is very much grim due to IA leadership who finds comfortable in operating T series while Arjun is a better than T 90 in every other specs but IA commanders loves simplistic tank not a sophisticated one like arjun.

What do you think about the power plant of the Arjun MK-2, Do you think we need more than 1400 hp like 1800 hp or the engine like M1A2 than the Diesel engine.
MTU 838 is fuel guzzler and an old version engine optimised for Arjun mk2.Frankly speaking arjun need 1500Hp engine while 1800hp is a overkill.Ukraine offered this solution.
hEUDj.jpg

Last edited:
Arjun Mk2 weight includes those mine plough which itself weigh around 1.8 to 2 tons.The realistic figure is 66 ton without plough.

M1A2- 72 ton(clean)
Merkava tanks Mk4- 66 ton
Challenger 2
- 75 ton(with Combat load)
Leopard 2E- 69.5 Ton

These are the short ton weights.

The M1A2 is 72 short tons, but 65 long tons.

Arjun is 75 short tons, but 68 long tons.

The Abrams, even when up-armored in the M1A2 SEP variant is lighter, though not by much.

m1a2_abrams_sep_v2_by_ryankrafthefer-d4nj308.jpg

M1 Tusk approached 68 long tons.

Mounted_Soldier_System_(MSS).jpg

1280px-M1A1_Abrams_with_Integrated_Management_System_new_Tank_Urban_Survivability_Kit_Dec._2007.jpg

Arjun at 68 long tons is heavier then Abrams.

These are the short ton weights.

The M1A2 is 72 short tons, but 65 long tons.

Arjun is 75 short tons, but 68 long tons.

The Abrams, even when up-armored in the M1A2 SEP variant is lighter, though not by much.

m1a2_abrams_sep_v2_by_ryankrafthefer-d4nj308.jpg

M1 Tusk approached 68 long tons.

Mounted_Soldier_System_(MSS).jpg

1280px-M1A1_Abrams_with_Integrated_Management_System_new_Tank_Urban_Survivability_Kit_Dec._2007.jpg

Add a 2 ton mine plough to the M1 and Voila!

Good Day!

point is if you want Heavy MBT, you cannot have 50 ton wt.

Add a 2 ton mine plough to the M1 and Voila!

It's been done.

9be50328bcc65d1f06828b5b500ef634.jpg

m1_abrams_03_of_55.jpg

Some were fitted with a mine roller too.

HD+Weapons+Wallpapers+%25285%2529.JPG

M1A1_MCR_00.jpg

Even with these Arjun is still heavier.

point is if you want Heavy MBT, you cannot have 50 ton wt.

Define "heavy MBT" for me. Is that in Leopard 2, Abrams or Challenger class?

T-90 is 45 long tons. And Japan's Type 10 is 48 tons.

1280px-Type10MBT.jpg

China's Type 96b is slightly over 40 tons.

USH_5315-900.jpg

USH_21111.jpg

K2 is 54 long tons.

1280px-Korean_K1_Tank.JPEG

These are all Main Battle Tanks.

ARJUN is one of the finest tank in IA,every tanker swear about it.But unfortunately it undermined by dalal ,while Manohar parikar is just sitting at fences and shouting make in India slogan till now.Honestly, I asked an IA officer and he is in artillery unit at Deolali.He said that arjun future is very much grim due to IA leadership who finds comfortable in operating T series while Arjun is a better than T 90 in every other specs but IA commanders loves simplistic tank not a sophisticated one like arjun.

and they are the one who will operate ithe MBT in battle not the journalist or DRDO bureaucrats.

I think this part has been taken from here. The FMBT was supposed to be Mk3, im not sure.

Check - "Because of the problems with the refitted Arjun Mk II, a new version of the Arjun was developed which became known as the Mk III. The tank was built exclusively from the new high strength composites and alloys and was able to be armored far more effectively. It was slightly larger than the Arjun Mk II and had more powerful secondary weapons with a Soviet 14.5 mm machine-gun in the co-axial and commanders positions. In addition to the guns carried on the tank, the Arjun Mk III has on the sides of the turret four double launchers for short range missiles. A more powerful gas turbine engine replaced the original engines to retain mobility with the larger tank. Even with the new Arjun Mk III, the tank was still behind the Americans with the M1A5 Abrams with improved armor and a 140-mm cannon which dwarfed the 176 low pressure cannon in firepower.

check - kitsune.addr./Rifts/Rifts-Pre-Rifts-Vehicles/Indian_Arjun_MkII_MBT

I think this part has been taken from here. The FMBT was supposed to be Mk3, im not sure.

Check - "Because of the problems with the refitted Arjun Mk II, a new version of the Arjun was developed which became known as the Mk III. The tank was built exclusively from the new high strength composites and alloys and was able to be armored far more effectively. It was slightly larger than the Arjun Mk II and had more powerful secondary weapons with a Soviet 14.5 mm machine-gun in the co-axial and commanders positions. In addition to the guns carried on the tank, the Arjun Mk III has on the sides of the turret four double launchers for short range missiles. A more powerful gas turbine engine replaced the original engines to retain mobility with the larger tank. Even with the new Arjun Mk III, the tank was still behind the Americans with the M1A5 Abrams with improved armor and a 140-mm cannon which dwarfed the 176 low pressure cannon in firepower. check - kitsune.addr./Rifts/Rifts-Pre-Rifts-Vehicles/Indian_Arjun_MkII_MBT

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/idn-take-main-battle-tank-arjun-the-mighty-beast.445273/#ixzz4It8d5cGf

MTU 838 is fuel guzzler and an old version engine optimised for Arjun mk2.Frankly speaking arjun need 1500Hp engine while 1800hp is a overkill.Ukraine offered this solution.
hEUDj.jpg
indigenous engine of 1500hp is near to completion.

It's been done.

9be50328bcc65d1f06828b5b500ef634.jpg

m1_abrams_03_of_55.jpg

Some were fitted with a mine roller too.

HD+Weapons+Wallpapers+%25285%2529.JPG

M1A1_MCR_00.jpg

Even with these Arjun is still heavier.

Define "heavy MBT" for me. Is that in Leopard 2, Abrams or Challenger class?

T-90 is 45 long tons. And Japan's Type 10 is 48 tons.

1280px-Type10MBT.jpg

China's Type 96b is slightly over 40 tons.

USH_5315-900.jpg

USH_21111.jpg

K2 is 54 long tons.

1280px-Korean_K1_Tank.JPEG

These are all Main Battle Tanks.
so what is your point ? Abrams are not heavy ?

Because of the problems with the refitted Arjun Mk-2, a new version of the Arjun is developed which became known as the Arjun Mk-3. The tank is built exclusively from the new high strength composites and alloys and was able to be armored far more effectively. It is slightly larger than the Arjun Mk-2 and has more powerful secondary weapons. The Arjun Mk-3 has on the sides of the turret four double launchers for short-range missiles. A more powerful gas turbine engine replaced the original engines to retain mobility with a larger tank.

Do these guys literally make up things out of thin air? Wtf is this?

Check - "Because of the problems with the refitted Arjun Mk II, a new version of the Arjun was developed which became known as the Mk III. The tank was built exclusively from the new high strength composites and alloys and was able to be armored far more effectively. It was slightly larger than the Arjun Mk II and had more powerful secondary weapons with a Soviet 14.5 mm machine-gun in the co-axial and commanders positions. In addition to the guns carried on the tank, the Arjun Mk III has on the sides of the turret four double launchers for short range missiles. A more powerful gas turbine engine replaced the original engines to retain mobility with the larger tank. Even with the new Arjun Mk III, the tank was still behind the Americans with the M1A5 Abrams with improved armor and a 140-mm cannon which dwarfed the 176 low pressure cannon in firepower.

check - kitsune.addr./Rifts/Rifts-Pre-Rifts-Vehicles/Indian_Arjun_MkII_MBT

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/idn-take-main-battle-tank-arjun-the-mighty-beast.445273/#ixzz4It8d5cGf

I want an IA guy to rip these defense analyst apart... even under pseudonym... it will be a lot of fun..

Check - "Because of the problems with the refitted Arjun Mk II, a new version of the Arjun was developed which became known as the Mk III. The tank was built exclusively from the new high strength composites and alloys and was able to be armored far more effectively. It was slightly larger than the Arjun Mk II and had more powerful secondary weapons with a Soviet 14.5 mm machine-gun in the co-axial and commanders positions. In addition to the guns carried on the tank, the Arjun Mk III has on the sides of the turret four double launchers for short range missiles. A more powerful gas turbine engine replaced the original engines to retain mobility with the larger tank. Even with the new Arjun Mk III, the tank was still behind the Americans with the M1A5 Abrams with improved armor and a 140-mm cannon which dwarfed the 176 low pressure cannon in firepower. check - kitsune.addr./Rifts/Rifts-Pre-Rifts-Vehicles/Indian_Arjun_MkII_MBT

Back
Top Bottom