What's new

IDF Armored corps

the thing i love about his monster is that its not just a tank it is an armored personnel carrier, mortar, ambulance and ifv all in one.but one thing i find hard to believe is its rear protection as rear of the tank already has less armor adding a rear entrance will further decrease its protection.its fine in open tank battles but can be a serious issue in urban combat.
Well, using tanks in urban combat has never been easy in the first place. Having an engine in the rear part of the hull instead of the rear entrance exposes the engine with less armor to all kinds of threats of an urban combat.

With Trophy, however, it is not just bare armor in the rear. Two antennas cover the rear hemisphere in order to be able to intercept incoming missiles over there.

Here is the rear left antenna:

f0a64f2bea3de2d36a71bb13bbb79bdd.jpg

Another retarded point about Merkava's design is its engine which is in the front. all those pictures you see is because of its unorthodox engine compartment , moreover israel claims that it gives the crew special protection , but how retarded that could be when the so called TROPHY only protects the turret and if one was to hit the front directly to cripple the engine then how the heck could the tank crawl back to a safe distance for its crew to use the special "rear escape" that only merkava has on the entire planet

as even demonstrated in the movie waltz with bashir :

During the 2006 Lebanon War, five Merkava tanks were destroyed.[29] Only the minority of the tanks used during the war were Merkava Mark IVs, as by 2006 they had still only entered service in limited numbers. Hezbollah fired over 1,000 anti-tank missiles during the conflict against both tanks and dismounted infantry.[29] Some 45 percent of all tanks and armoured vehicles hit with antitank missiles during the conflict suffered some form of armour penetration.[29] In total, 15 tank crewmen were killed by these ATGM penetrations.[30] The penetrations were caused by tandem warhead missiles. Hezbollah weaponry was believed to include advanced RussianRPG-29 'Vampir', AT-5 'Konkurs', AT-13 'Metis-M', and laser-guided AT-14 'Kornet'[31] HEAT missiles. The IDF reported finding the state-of-the-art Kornet ATGMs on Hezbollah positions in the village of Ghandouriyeh.[32] Several months after the cease-fire, reports have provided detailed photographic evidence that Kornet ATGMs were indeed both in possession of, and used by, Hezbollah in this area.[33][34] Another Merkava IV tank crewman was killed when a tank ran over an improvised explosive device (IED). This tank had additional V-shaped underside armor, limiting casualties to just one of the seven personnel (four crewmen and three infantrymen) on board. In total, five Merkava tanks (two Merkava IIs, one Merkava III, and two Merkava IVs) were destroyed.[29] Of these two Merkava Mark IVs, one was by powerful IEDs, and the other by Russian AT-14 'Kornet' missiles. The Israeli military said that it was satisfied with the Merkava Mark IV's performance, and attributed problems to insufficient training before the war.[35][36] In total, 50 Merkava tanks (predominantly Merkava IIs and IIIs) were damaged, eight of which remained serviceable on the battlefield. 21 tanks suffered armour penetrations (15 from missiles, and 6 from IEDs and anti-tank mines).[29]

After the 2006 war, and as the IDF becomes increasingly involved in unconventional and guerrilla warfare, some analysts say the Merkava is too vulnerable to advanced anti-tank missiles, that in their man-portable types can be fielded by guerrilla warfare opponents.[37][38] Other post-war analysts, including David Eshel, disagree, arguing that reports of losses to Merkavas were overstated and that "summing up the performance of Merkava tanks, especially the latest version Merkava Mark IV, most tank crews agree that, in spite of the losses sustained and some major flaws in tactical conduct, the tank proved its mettle in its first high-saturation combat."[39] On a comparison done by the armor corps newsletter, it was shown that the average number of crewmen killed per tank penetrated by missile/rocket was reduced from 2 during the Yom Kippur War to 1.5 during the 1982 Lebanon War to 1 during the2006 Lebanon War proving how, even in the face of the improvement in anti-tank weaponry, the Merkava series tanks provide increasingly better protection to its crew. The IDF wanted to increase orders of new Merkava Mark IV tanks, and planned to add the Trophy (countermeasure) to Merkava Mark IV tanks, and to increase joint training between crews and Israeli antitank soldiers.[40][41]

Hizballa used IED's and anti tank missiles against IDF's armored vehicles from within houses and populated places in order to prevent retaliation.
in global the merkava 4 did very good against massive IED and missiles attacks
Thanks for information.

If the Merkava is so good , why still no export have been recorded while leopard and abrams are flooding the friendly markets

If the Merkava is so good , why still no export have been recorded while leopard and abrams are flooding the friendly markets

merkava 4 has been exported to singapore , where they will use it in their invasion of australia to overrun the allies , Not

or maybe they will use it in the damp jungles of philipines against the islamic group abu sayaf

How would you rate the performance of Merkava 4 in the war against Hisbullah in southern Labannon. According to my limited knowledge they did destroy a few of your tanks. Although Israel did get the upper hand in the end.
The difficult question is "would they have done worse had they had another tank, e.g. upgraded M-60 or e.g. a tank like Abrams or Leo-2" and you need to define what 'better' or 'worse' means in that context.

It is often assumed that because tanks of a certain type can be destroyed i.e. are not invincuble, they must therefor be performing poorly . But the whole point of a tank is a) what it can do to opponent forces plus b) whether it provided superior protection for its highly trained and there for expensive ad hard to replace crew. The question is not 'can it be destroyed?', as the answer is "any tank can be destroyed". The question is 'given inevitable tank losses, would more crewmembers have died had they been using another type of tank?'.

Because exports of Abrams and Leo-2 are not typically new vehicles but refurbished and upgraded ex-US/BRD vehicles. Also, the Merkava is far more tailored to the specific conditions and requirements of Israel, so e.g. it has sacrificed speed for protection compared to Leo-2 and Abrams.

Export is not a mark of quality or technical superiority. Witness e.g. Challenger 2E.

What is the specs or Armor Penetration value of CL 3254. Its also used in Indian MBTs
560mm :coffee:

Since 2006 russia has sold much more advanced weaponry to iran and iran has given them all to khizballa

26e3ab179d38aebcca521dc837f.jpg

like what?

Trophy has pretty much made ATGM obsolete.

and this is what just the 1st generation Trophy I can only imagine what the Zionists 2nd generation APS will be.

like what?

and this is what just the 1st generation Trophy I can only imagine what the Zionists 2nd generation APS will be.
Anti kinetic measure has been confirmed in the next version of trophy

top attack is just as useless. it's a 360 degree APS system
position of the trophy cartridges (or shells whatever we are calling them) shows a blind spot on the top side of the tank. if angle of attack is around 90 degree i think trophy won't be able able to tackle the threat then.

like what?

if that is true no one will buy the israeli Spike ATGM anymore :P

before the 1973 , western propagandists like yourself used to say the Bar Lev line was impregnable , but the Soviet Saggers destroyed many israeli tanks , i'm sure this time too , they have something in their arsenal to counter the most incompetent western tank , Merkava 4 , for now at least Hezbollah has super land mines that trophy can do nothing against , they will even cripple the israeli tanks equipped with mine harvesters

probably something like this

original.jpg

Trophy has been tested against spike and probably javelin with success

don't worry , a salvo of RPG 7's 10's 29's and kornets will bring down your tank for good , and possibly kill the crew

for top attack i think akkor is the best choice but it will lack in protection against conventional atgm threat launched at close range because it is mounted on the top of the tank and it also pack less ammunition so thats another negative
akkor-interceptor-launcher.png

position of the trophy cartridges (or shells whatever we are calling them) shows a blind spot on the top side of the tank. if angle of attack is around 90 degree i think trophy won't be able able to tackle the threat then.

no ATGM in the world comes in at 90 degrees or even 80 degrees.

I know the Hellfire missile come in straight down but 90 degree straight down I don't think so.

Javelin does it come down at a perfect 90 degrees to hit this blind spot?? I don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom