What's new

ICC 2010 Twenty20 World Cup THREAD

West Indies will also loose this Match

Dangerous Gayle BOWLED on 2nd ball of the Match

I think prayers ki qabooliat ka week chal raha ha:D
so keep praying.

Absolutely gutted. We are completely useless in T20. None of our "big hitters" have the technique to play outside the sub-continent. Our tactics in T20 are pathetic. I can't believe how badly we batted today. What's the point of playing a freaking extra batsman when you don't utilise the fact. The way India were playing from 10 - 18 overs, it was almost like we were 6 down instead of being 1 down. Dhoni and Raina have no brains. 70 something runs in the last 10 cost us the semi final place.

Correction, Indian T20 cricket is in the sh**t. We're still pretty awesome in tests and one days.

PS - I'm now changing my citizenship and supporting West Indies.

In my opinion only problem with Indian team is decent pace...which pakistan is also lacking at the moment.......secondly paid price of under estimating sri lanka rather than bad performance......
couple of stupid decision by dhoni.....not sending yousaf pathan early...and going on with ordinary spin..........dropping expirenced zaheer khan

Happy flying India.................

at least we perform when there is a need. and then how can i deny our fortunes :)

afridi's gamble worked quite well. an extra batsman against a settled bowler.. earlier i believed dhoni is a clever captain but now afridi is in direct competition.

IPL boundaries are smaller compared to international standards. i think this has caused problem to indian batsmen who found it difficult to adjust with international environment.

we underdogs lik always have got nothing to loose but everything to gain. with no pressure im quite optimistic with our chances. will this be repeat of 1992 where england helped in keepin us in the game and later lost the cup to us? well there is still a lot left to see.

here we go. indian media comes to action

Pathetic Team India bows out meeklyAvijit Ghosh,
12 May 2010, 02:21 AM IST
Team India is out of the T20 World Cup. With three defeats in a row, who can say we didn’t deserve this inglorious exit? Simply put, we played some of our worst cricket in recent memory.

How did this happen? We know how. We couldn’t bat, bowl or field. To begin with, we made the wrong selections for the world championship. And then we consistently kept playing the wrong eleven. And those who played just couldn't perform.

In the Super 8s, only two players – Suresh Raina and Ashish Nehra – escape censure. Everyone else was a failure.

But what can you say when a team displays such unabashed confidence in players like Dinesh Karthik? Karthik was out first ball to the quicker Lasith Malinga. It only underlined that he is not out of form but just out of class. It is strange how Karthik, who is ostensibly selected as a back-up keeper, often ends up playing as an opener. Why is why genuine openers like Manish Pandey and Shikhar Dhawan cool their heels back home and sub-par players like him continue to don the Indian jersey.

As a reward for their shoddy showing, both Vijay and Karthik have been rewarded with berths for the Zimbabwe tour. I can assure you both will score runs in that meaningless tour. Then those scores will be used to justify their presence in future tours. That’s how the circle goes on.

Both Raina and Gambhir played some impressive shots. But they were lucky too – Sangakkara dropping both of them. The truth is that neither had to play genuine pace bowling during their knocks. In fact, Gambhir immediately succumbed to Malinga the moment he came on for his second spell. Thank God, he was the only paceman in the Lankan side. Otherwise even on the placid St Lucia track we would have looked inept.

As for Dhoni, he just didn’t have a fourth gear today. That contributed hugely to India’s defeat. We got 90 runs with the loss of one wicket after the first 10 overs. Then we get 73 in the remaining 10. That’s inexplicable. We needed about 180 put Lanka on the defensive. We fell short by 17 runs to reach that total.

Barring Ashish Nehra, our bowling again lacked bite. Harbhajan, who was expensive today, couldn't claim a single wicket in the entire Super 8 stage.

At the risk of repeating myself I would again say the time has come to ask the crucial question: does the IPL have anything to do with our pathetic performance? For there is a persistent and noticeable dip in Team India’s T20 fortunes since the IPL began.

We must ask whether the six-week long grueling masala cricket is leaving our players physically tired and emotionally exhausted? Everybody knows that the IPL is great entertainment. But is it coming at cost of Team India? We must ask this hard question to the BCCI.

PS: I want an England-Australia final. Not exactly the Ashes but it should make for compelling viewing.

Pathetic Team India bows out meekly : Sports : Avijit Ghosh : TOI Blogs

at least we perform when there is a need. and then how can i deny our fortunes :)

afridi's gamble worked quite well. an extra batsman against a settled bowler.. earlier i believed dhoni is a clever captain but now afridi is in direct competition.

IPL boundaries are smaller compared to international standards. i think this has caused problem to indian batsmen who found it difficult to adjust with international environment.

we underdogs lik always have got nothing to loose but everything to gain. with no pressure im quite optimistic with our chances. will this be repeat of 1992 where england helped in keepin us in the game and later lost the cup to us? well there is still a lot left to see.

rightly said.........but its not always a piece of cake.......no lights of wasim or player like inzi in our squad now... who alone can take you home....and afridi is not as strong he used to be 4 years ago........

we have chance now ....just one thing dont put catches down and were are very much in finals.........

one thing more there is only one team which can beat kangro's and its no doubt Pakistan.....

Pakistanis take it easy now.The same can backfire if you lose in semis.

Looking at our previous performance and lacking Players like Umar Gul, Malik, Nazir, Asif etc etc we are even happy to reach semi-finals, and i really hope we go further aswel, the reason why everyone celebrating like this is cuz of India after Owning IPL, thinking lyk they are god of T20 :toast_sign:

Today i heard this in taxi, awesome song, good to cheer up

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

Today i heard this in taxi, awesome song, good to cheer up

Last edited by a moderator:
The equatation is simple

If Pakistan beats Australia and England beats Sri Lanka

Its repeat of 1992 WC

=========

If Pakistan beats Australia and Sri Lanka beats England

Its a repeat of T20 2009 WC

========

If Australia beat Pakistan and Sri Lanka beat England

Its a repeat of WC 2007

======

If Australia beat Pakistan and England beat Sri Lanka

Its a repeat of 1987 World Cup

Last edited:
one day old but quite significant after todays happening

An alternative moral universe
Santosh Desai, 10 May 2010, 11:41 AM IST
Looking back on the IPL saga, now that it no longer gets the breathless non-stop coverage it did, and being able to reflect upon what seems to have happened, one is struck by kind of culture it espoused and managed to get away with in full view of the public.

The picture evoked is of a world where anything that one could get away with was to be got away with quickly, hungrily and spectacularly. To belong to the cosy club called IPL, one needed to be rich, glamorous, powerful or at the very least, truly desperate for attention. Once inside, the club followed few rules and fewer conventions. One could apparently rig franchises, take personal cuts, revel in highly visible conflicts of interests, hire each other's children and give them fancy designations, commandeer aircraft when needed, shower the undeserving with free equity, pick up a few girls at after-match parties, and ask for visas to be denied to inconvenient people. And yet, it all seemed perfectly normal; no one saw anything that was amiss.

This willful blindness calls for some explanation. There was enough evidence of murkiness and certainly more than a few whispers about what really went on both on and off the field. But some inexorable force gave the IPL an immunity very few arenas of our life are able to enjoy. Perhaps the reason why the IPL has become the hotbed for all kinds of infractions is perhaps because it is an island that has extricated itself from all mainlands- physical, economic and moral. The absence of any intervening structures- organizational, governmental and commercial has created a geography unhindered by any discernible maps.

It belongs to the BCCI but is administered independently. It sucks out players from all countries and has created a new power structure that bears little allegiance to existing hierarchies. It continues to hold no fixed slot in the ICC calendar of events, but is very much the centre of the cricketing world given the kind of players it attracts and the amount of money it generates. It is not accountable to the government, the ICC or and certainly not to its parent body, the BCCI which has often seemed more like a juvenile accomplice more than a responsible parent.

Economically too, the IPL manages to evade any meaningful responsibility. To be sure, it has financial accountability to the franchise owners but thanks to the valuations it has generated, it has received a virtual carte blanche from investors. It is noteworthy that whenever valuations have driven commercial interests, be it in this case or in the dot-com era, a new rulebook comes into play. Usual business logic fails, sentiment prevails and causality suffers. There is no longer an explainable link between effort and reward nor do things happen in a time frame that one can comprehend. The absence of causality creates an environment of limitless opportunity and bottomless greed. This is particularly true when the enterprise in question belongs to a new world, one where there are no established benchmarks to follow. Like in the dot com boom of an earlier time, no one really knew what scale and form the IPL could take. Even now it is unclear as to which franchise owner is making how much money. But with valuations skyrocketing, for the moment no one seems to care.

Without question that makes Lalit Modi a real visionary for being able to imagine a future so far removed from the reality that existed then. The flip side of the ability to see a future that nobody else could and one which most other people challenged, is that one begins to have inexhaustible belief in one's ability to bend it infinitely according to one's desire. Along with this sense of invincibility comes an impatience with laws, rules and conventions. Given the absence of any regulatory parenting, the normal constraints disappear and what was yesterday's fantasy becomes today's easy reality. While there is much to be said about Modi's vision and drive, his real genius lay in making everyone concerned with the game an accomplice- broadcasters, sponsors, franchise owners, players, commentators, media and the paying public, all surrendered to the seduction of the IPL.

The result was the creation of an amoral island; an intermediate space of indeterminate conventions, where moral boundaries stayed hazy. Greed seemed normal, the usual sense of scale and proportion became rubberized and even time seemed to obey Lalit Modi, as evidenced by his remarkable success in shifting the tournament to South Africa at absurdly short notice. The bright lights burnt out nuance and self-doubt, and being on ceaseless and breathless public display created an illusion of legitimacy.

It is interesting that in the absence of restraint, we saw behavior that was almost primitive in its origins. A hyper-modern format fuelled a pre-modern mindset where one promoted one's family, fought publicly with one's team and coach, used influence to deal with girlfriends, boasted of sexual conquests, misused power in fits of despotic whimsy. The fake IPL player who regaled us with accounts of the alleged mayhem that went on behind the scenes gave us a good sense of the nature of this overblown circus of excess.

What is most noteworthy about the Shashi Tharoor saga is that a personal spat like that triggered the unraveling of the IPL empire. The fact that Lalit Modi was unable to foresee the consequences of his almost-petulant chirp on Twitter points to the clouding of reality that accompanied the IPL-induced euphoria. Looking back, it would seem like a colossal over-reaction to what could have been sorted out behind closed doors by making a few accommodations. But like all good morality sagas, in the end there must come a downfall. Only then does it make a really good story.

An alternative moral universe : Sports : Santosh Desai : TOI Blogs

The equatation is simple

If Pakistan beats Australia and England beats Sri Lanka

Its repeat of 1992 WC

=========

If Pakistan beats Australia and Sri Lanka beats England

Its a repeat of T20 2009 WC

========

If Australia beat Pakistan and Sri Lanka beat England

Its a repeat of WC2003

======

If Australia beat Pakistan and England beat Sri Lanka

Its a repeat of 1987 World Cup

It was actually 2007 world cup, 2003 was againt India:cheers:

India threw the game as soon as they were out of the tournament. I like to see SL win the cup, if Pakistan doesn't go through, but still the decorum of the game should be maintained.

India threw halwa balls just to make it extremely difficult for the Windies to qualify. One mustn't do such things, and play the sport in good spirits.

Australia are Hot Fav's

Look what they did to W Indies .....

Pakistan can only win by Prayers :D

pakistan team is at its height now and can do anything, its pretty possible if afridi leads from the front and tries to be in an attacking mood.

what we just have to do is to place proper batting order and attack with bowling using right choice at the right time. asif can be used to dissappoint aussies like the first T20 WC

Well it is going to be a test for Pakistan, to go to the final they have to face their nemeses Australia. Aussies have haunted our cricketers for the last few months infect all these bans and fines are because Aussies kicked our *** so bad that we had to punish our players for it lol...

Question remains that after receiving 10 straight thumping defeats in all formats of the game at the hands of Aussies starting from 26th december 2009 i still cannot workout a way for Pakistan to win the semi-final. If we individualy compare the 11 players of both the sides the FACT is that their players are superior then ours in all aspects of the game. So a win is only likely if they dont play good enough on that day, i mean they have defeated us 10 times so maybe the law of averages sets in and we get a lucky break. If any one knows how to beat Australia in cricket please share your plan.

Back
Top Bottom