What's new

IAF's SU-30 MKI crashes, one pilot dead

dee

Reaction score
JAISALMER: A sophisticated Indian Air Force Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter aircraft on Thursday crashed near here, killing one of the two pilots.

This is the first time that a Sukhoi-30 MKI, a frontline fighter plane, has crashed.

The incident occurred at around 1020 hours near Rajmathai village, about 70 kms from here, when the plane, the squadron of which is based in Pune, was on a routine exercise, Defence PRO Lt. Col N N Joshi said.

According to district officials, one of the two pilots, who were both holding the rank of wing commander, was killed.

The other pilot managed to eject safely from the aircraft, they said.

A court of inquiry has been ordered into the incident, IAF sources said.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

IAF Sukhoi fighter jet crashes; navigator killed

New Delhi: One person was killed when a frontline Su-30MKI combat jet of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed while on a routine training mission in Rajasthan, an official said.

The crash occurred at 1030 hrs IST., some 70 km southeast of Jaisalmer, an IAF spokesperson said, adding that the aircraft had taken off from the Lohegaon air base near Pune.

The two-man crew ejected before the jet crashed. The pilot, Wing Commander S V Munje, survived but the navigator, Wing Commander P.S. Narah, succumbed to his injuries, the spokesperson added.

There were no reports of damage to property on the ground.

This is the first crash of a Su-30MKI, which was inducted into the IAF in 1997. The IAF operates three squadrons (approximately 55 aircraft) of the jet, which is being manufactured under license in India by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).

It was not immediately clear whether the aircraft that crashed was among those purchased in fly away condition or had been manufactured in India

This is not a good incident, hope lesson's can be learned and more thoro maintanance is done to avoide this kind of crashes :tsk:

cnn:

RIP.

Indian fighter jet crashes, pilot killed
updated 1 minute ago
Next Article in World »

NEW DELHI, India (CNN) -- An Indian fighter jet crashed in the country's west Thursday, killing one of its two pilots, air force officials said.

The Sukhoi twin-seater came down in the border state of Rajasthan, said Tarun Kumar Singha, an Indian Air Force spokesman.

Both pilots ejected out of the aircraft, but one of them "succumbed to his injuries," he said. Authorities are investigating the cause of the accident.

These things happen even with top pilots, top tech or top maintenance... Unfortunately it is part of the job. May his soul rest in peace.

I think we should wait what happened cause it is to early to jump to conclusions.

sad news - may god bless his soul!

ps: pls post it in the notify air crashes section

Thats sad. Something must have really gone wrong. MKI's are known to be among the most reliable machines in the world. Just like in the case of F-22 Raptor crash in US.

Both ejected and backseater (wingcommander) did not land very well. Broke spine and died later. As far as I can judge it is probably a birdhit or totally hydraulic/FBW problem. The jump was probably at low altitude. Chance of getting back were probably zero.

It shows again that duals are not safer or better as many sugested in the past. There was a very nice article on this in AFM with the conclusion that it doesn't matter cuase engines have become very reliable.

On the other hand... I had expected that MKI (being huge wing) atleast could land

kitnay ka jahaz tha bhai jee ...

RIP pilot... anotherone safe good!

Indeed sad moment... we lost one of solder (human life) May god give strenght to his family and to recover from truma.

A detail investigation required to avoid such incedents in future.

This is very unfortunate. First, sympathy to the pilot and his family, friends, etc. May God Bless his family at this time.

The next thing that comes to mind is, if you fucked up while sitting in US$37 million, and you know it was going to crash, would you have the balls to eject, stroll back to base and say "oops, I broke it" to your superiors?

I know this was an accident, but I wanted to ask, is twin-seater more safer?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom