What's new

IAF to induct 200-250 fifth generation fighters

Dude if you guys can afford 250 Russian 5th gen birds, then you can also afford to buy atleast 130 F-22...:yahoo:
Certainly we can, there is no issue about it :cheers:

Dude if you guys can afford 250 Russian 5th gen birds, then you can also afford to buy atleast 130 F-22...:yahoo:

Not sure about 130 but ~100 will do the job for us. sadly this is not for sale..:cry:

And yes..WELCOME to DEFENCE.PK:cheers:

Lots of info. I think its clear that selection of engine for LCA mk-II has nothging to do with MRCA also FGFA is joining IAF by 2017.

250 5th gen planes...i am hearing this for long time,but really is that possible

Let assume the cost of plane to b $100 million(fly away cost),now that adds to a burgeoning $25 billion,now add to that maintenance costs and weapons and training...dont u people think this is to much exaggerated

FGFA is twin seater right, then what about T-50. Are they included in that.

250 5th gen planes...i am hearing this for long time,but really is that possible

Let assume the cost of plane to b $100 million(fly away cost),now that adds to a burgeoning $25 billion,now add to that maintenance costs and weapons and training...dont u people think this is to much exaggerated

Considering the fact that The plane will start getting inducted in 2018-2020 and the induction itself will take atleast 10-12 years..
So the last plane will be inducted around 2030. Now if the current growth rate is there for next 15-20 years and the further planned reforms then i guess we will be sitting over a GDP of 6-9 trillions.
And if we take 2.5-3%of this GDP, it accounts to anywhere between
150-250 bill...Now do you think maintaining a fleet of 250 odd planes manufactured in India will be that much a problem..?

Considering the fact that The plane will start getting inducted in 2018-2020 and the induction itself will take atleast 10-12 years..
So the last plane will be inducted around 2030. Now if the current growth rate is there for next 15-20 years and the further planned reforms then i guess we will be sitting over a GDP of 6-9 trillions.
And if we take 2.5-3%of this GDP, it accounts to anywhere between
150-250 bill...Now do you think maintaining a fleet of 250 odd planes manufactured in India will be that much a problem..?

and i thought we will b rolling out a little more than 25 planes per year,anyway let as assume our economy to b $3 trillion at the start of induction...now that is a $90 billion budget per year

FGFA will not b the only weapon we will b inducting in our fleet,and their is training and maintenance,servicing and the weapons attached to it....overall anyway i believe this programme will cost as $75 billion.....hmmmm that is achievable,okay no problem then:cheers:

Most acquisitions we will be doing will be in next 10-12 years i think..All the major system (ATV,IAC,MRCA,LCA-II,P-75,P-75I,Frigates, Destroyers ) which will be upgrading/inducting are scheduled in next ten years only.
I cant think of any major program other than MCA,UCAV ...Comments Welcome..

I think jha already answered your query well but I also want to add something.

Its not only possible but by 2022/24 India will start production of our own AMCA as well. By 2016 India will get all the MKIs and MRCAs (by 2018/19), as current production rate will be increased and new facilities are under-construction. After than we will concentrate fully on FGFA and LCA mk-II production. By 2017 our GDP will be enough large to accommodate such new acquisitions like FGFA. Also if it takes 10 years to build 250 PAK FA than only by 2027/28 we will get all of them. There is possibility that India will increase the percentage of GDP spent on defence. Above all buying such indigenous systems means the money go back to the people or govt in some ways.

Alarming signals for pakistan armed forces in next decade hope we should have 100s of SAM system and not only SAM system but high altitude and next generation jet

Most acquisitions we will be doing will be in next 10-12 years i think..All the major system (ATV,IAC,MRCA,LCA-II,P-75,P-75I,Frigates, Destroyers ) which will be upgrading/inducting are scheduled in next ten years only.
I cant think of any major program other than MCA,UCAV ...Comments Welcome..

F-INSAS is still nowhere to b seen,i dont think it will commence before 2016 or by 18,i dont think we r going to stop with shivalik and kolkata class,IAC-2 will get commisioned only 2018 i think,and their is arihant class and SSN's also to follow,INS Chennai will only get commitioned by 2013 and then their is 4 more to follow,our ABM is still in early phase and i dont thing by 2018 we will completely induct PDV,AAD,AD-1 and AD-2,and their r more on line

F-INSAS is still nowhere to b seen,i dont think it will commence before 2016 or by 18,

Indian Army will get first batch of F-INSAS armed soldiers by 2012. F-INSAS consists of 100s of subsystems and logistical support systems. Most of them are under trial. In between 2012 to 2020/22 IA will be fully armed with F-INSAS. I think it will be largest defence project by that time.

INS Chennai will only get commitioned by 2013 and then their is 4 more to follow,
But we are getting first one INS KOLKATA and Vikramaditya in 2012 itself. It will enhance navy's capabilities by multiple times.

our ABM is still in early phase and i dont thing by 2018 we will completely induct PDV,AAD,AD-1 and AD-2,and their r more on line

AD-1 and AD-2 will take time but AAD and PAD/PDV induction will start from 2012 as per Dr. Saraswat. They are also increasing the number of tests.

NEW DELHI: India will eventually spend over $25 billion to induct 250 advanced stealth fifth-generation fighter aircraft (FGFA), on way to being co-developed with Russia, in what will be the country's biggest-ever defence project.

With a potent mix of super-manoeuvrability and supersonic cruising ability, long-range strike and high-endurance air defence capabilities, each FGFA will cost upwards of Rs 450 crore or around $100 million.

This will be in addition to the huge investment to be made in co-developing FGFA with cash-strapped Russia, as also the huge infrastructure required to base, operate and maintain such jets in India.

"We are looking to induct 200 to 250 FGFA in phases from 2017 onwards,'' confirmed IAF chief Air Chief Marshal P V Naik on Monday. As reported by TOI earlier, New Delhi and Moscow are looking to ink the FGFA preliminary design contract when Russian President Dmitry Medvedev comes visiting here in December.

Under intense negotiations for the last four-five years, the FGFA project will also figure in the talks between defence minister A K Antony and his Russian counterpart Anatoly Serdyukov on October 8.

Though the Indian FGFA will based on the Russian Sukhoi T-50 PAK-FA, which flew for the first time this January at the Komsomolsk-on-Amur facility in Siberia, it will be built to IAF's specifications. It's already being touted as superior to the American F/A-22 `Raptor', the world's only operational FGFA as of now.

ACM Naik said the 30-tonne FGFA will be a "swing-role fighter, with very advanced avionics, stealth to increase survivability, enhanced lethality, 360 degree situational awareness, smart weapons, data-links, high-end mission computers'' and the like.

Along with 126 medium multi-role combat aircraft, which India plans to acquire in a $10.4 billion project, 270 Sukhoi-30MKIs contracted from Russia for around $12 billion and 120 indigenous Tejas Light Combat Aircraft, the FGFA will be the mainstay of India's air combat fleet for the foreseeable future.

Even as the Army revises its war doctrine to factor in the worst-case scenario of a simultaneous two-front war with Pakistan and China, is IAF also preparing for the same?

"Our modernisation plans are based on the four pillars of `see, reach, hit and protect'...We prepare for a multi-faceted, multi-dimensional, multi-front war,'' said ACM Naik.

"But our approach is capability-based, not adversary-specific. Our modernisation drive is in tune with our nation's aspirations,'' he said, adding that India's strategic interests stretched "from Hormuz Strait to Malacca Strait and beyond''.

To a volley of questions on China and Pakistan, IAF chief said, "All neighbours, from the smallest to the largest, have to be watched with caution...Their capabilities have to be assessed...Anything that can upset the growth of our nation is a matter of concern.''

With the new planned inductions in the pipeline, IAF's obsolescence rate will come down to 20% by 2014-15 from the current 50% or so. "But this does not mean that we are not fully capable of defending the country from any air or space threat at the moment...We are,'' said ACM Naik.

Read more: India to spend over $25 billion to induct 250 5th-gen stealth fighters - The Times of India India to spend over $25 billion to induct 250 5th-gen stealth fighters - The Times of India

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom