What's new

IAF to get fifth gen fighters only after 2019

Has it started for the MKI yet?? I mean with all the raw materials scoured and complete production in house?? :blink:

Yes it has started from around 2010. I am 100%sure. Plz google for links but be assured its a fact. And the no of SU-30MKIs being churned out has also increased from around 9 per year to around 30. The Remaining 115 MKIs will take around 4 years to complete it's delivery ie by 2016. U can verify the year 2016 from several sources.

Its fine if it comes by 2020, I mean by teh time it will be fully developed and tested. for a 5th gen fighter its all testing. You dont wanna get a plane which just flies.

Exactly, we don't want just a rudimentary VLO aircraft. We want a decently matured platform with mature 5th gen Engines ( the current Saturn-117 is just Al-31 on steroids. not a true 5th gen engine IMO )
Also, sukhoi needs to work on it's stealth characterstics from the back and below.
Also, several BVR missiles will complete their test by then and work can also start on Air launched hypersonic brahmos by then :woot: depending on the doctrine and platform capabilities. etc.

Good to see Indians accepting the delay schedule they should also accept that LCA-MK2 is not coming before 2017/18. :rolleyes:

Good to see Indians accepting the delay schedule they should also accept that LCA-MK2 is not coming before 2017/18. :rolleyes:
Okay and we can expect a 5th gen fighter/home grown advanced 4.5+ gen fighter in.................

A Preliminary Design (PD) contract has been signed between HAL and Rosoboronexport, Russia on 21st December, 2010 for designing, developing and certification of the Prospective Multi-role Fighter (PMF) Aircraft programme by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) jointly with Sukhoi Design Bureau (SDB) of Russia at a cost of 295 MUSD.

No formal decision has been taken to sell FGFA to other countries.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in a reply to Shri Kunwar Rewati Raman Singh, Shri Rajaiah Siricilla in Lok Sabha today.

Press Information Bureau English Releases

Having seen Indian defense and, well every other project
2019 is infact a good date if it can be realized for FGFA but we don't even have a flying prototype of FGFA yet.:what:

should have picked up the F35 as I've said from day one. Practically the same price as the French aircraft if all those articles I read here are true . F35 was being offered sub 100 million to India. But regardless it's not a big deal. China has overwhelming numbers superiority right now and I don't see any war … so if they have the J20 ( which who knows if that thing is for real i.e. worthy ) a few years before you guys - it is not a risk of war taking place.

I am not surprised considering the lack of proper defense planning at the highest level, courtesy which our defense infrastructure remains unceremoniously myopic. In fact, I'd have been astounded had IAF started inductions by 2017.

But looking at this scenario, it can be assumed that we will be needing hell load of Tejas and MRCAs (at least 250 each) to balance off for the delay of PAKFA. At this rate, I don't see AMCA's first taxiing tests anywhere before 2022, forget induction by 2025.

india will not fielding a single sdq of pak fa before 2020

AND no FGFA (indian 2 seater PAK FA with indian & israeli tech) until 2024.

China will not have a J20 combat ready sqd until 2018 at the earliest

so for 2 years The RAFALE F3 & SUPER SUKHOI will have to fend off the small threat from PLAAF early J20 threat.

ALL OF A SUDDEN THE RAFALE F3 looks a great decision.

Question is.. will there be a 5th gen threat in the region before that for the IAF to worry about?
not from the west anyway.. so the only question of a 5th gen threat is from the north...

It's not about countering a 5th gen threat only, but also to have a clear offensive advantage too! Be it PLAAF, PAF or IAF, all have and are inducting more and more AWACS aircrafts and that's a game changer in the air combat of the region, because fighters will be detected at long range. To counter this you need a fighter with a very low RCS and a stealth fighter is the most effective one in this field. So no matter who will have a 5th gen fighter at first, will also have an edge in air combat and something to counter AWACS support.
The stealth fighter vs stealth fighter combats will come way later only, because they have to be inducted in credible numbers first and India is not Chinas main enemy, but the US forces, Japan, S. Korea and Taiwan. So the first squads of J20 would be raised in the east and not towards Indian borders.

Question is.. will there be a 5th gen threat in the region before that for the IAF to worry about?
not from the west anyway.. so the only question of a 5th gen threat is from the north...

Highly unlikely. China cannot field an effective 5th generation fighter because it has not even mastered indigenous design of many critical technologies of 4th generation planes. While the pace of their advancement is good, as of now they lack in many key technologies for which they are dependent on sales from Russia. Similarly, their research and industrial infra is also not even close to being as capable as the base in Russia.
They will have to buy from Russia to field it on their own fighters if they plan to field it fast. And even then, the material and composites technology base is not upto Russian research base.

thats fine..2020-2021 will be good enough for us.but don't forget post MRCA 80 aircraft orders where F-35 will going to be participat..and i'm having a strong feeling that F-35 might have been chosen (despite all the reports about 2 5th gen aircrats and all)..so,we might get a 5th gen aircraft before 2020 too.. :azn:

thats fine..2020-2021 will be good enough for us.but don't forget post MRCA 80 aircraft orders where F-35 will going to be participat..and i'm having a strong feeling that F-35 might have been chosen (despite all the reports about 2 5th gen aircrats and all)..so,we might get a 5th gen aircraft before 2020 too.. :azn:

AMCA will be the second 5th gen platform not the F35, AMCA is already under development with GOI sanctioning 100 crores for the first prototypes and AMCA engineers have asked for an additional 2 billion USD for the program which is very likey to be sanctioned as well. The ADA is confident that the first prototypes of AMCA will be up within the next few years and will incorporate a few 6th gen features as well. Its a plane meant for the post 2020 scenario.

The Indian designers are trying to mirror the USAF programs:

the FGFA will be the F 22
the AMCA will be the F35 for the IAF.

AMCA will be the second 5th gen platform not the F35, AMCA is already under development with GOI sanctioning 100 crores for the first prototypes and AMCA engineers have asked for an additional 2 billion USD for the program which is very likey to be sanctioned as well. The ADA is confident that the first prototypes of AMCA will be up within the next few years and will incorporate a few 6th gen features as well. Its a plane meant for the post 2020 scenario.

yup...but we'll see AMCA in beyond 2025 (if everything goes well)..so why don't we buy some F-35(USA is hard pushing it,and i have fear that India will succumbed to it) and applied its tech in AMCA???though i know F-35 costs huge,but still it it the most advanced strike jet(same role AMCA will going to fill)..right??

yup...but we'll see AMCA in beyond 2025 (if everything goes well)..so why don't we buy some F-35(USA is hard pushing it,and i have fear that India will succumbed to it) and applied its tech in AMCA???though i know F-35 costs huge,but still it it the most advanced strike jet(same role AMCA will going to fill)..right??

The F35 does not figure in India's procurement plan, it still a few years away from production, and has huge backlog of orders. so atleast one indian 5th gen platform will be nearer to induction in that time frame.

yes the FGFA will be the F 22
the AMCA will be the F35 for the IAF. + 250 T 50 is also planned.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom