What's new

IAF needs 39 squadrons for 2-front war, has only 34'

I agree the LCA needs to be present in the IAF in large numbers, and I hope this takes place.

However sir, I am going to have to say it looks certain that all the IAF's 5th gen (heavy) fighters will be single seat FGFAs. The idea of having a twin seat FGFA seems to be dead and thus there is zero need for the Russian-specific PAK-FA when the IAF is getting the "Indianised/MKIsed" version of the PAK-FA/T-50 the FGFA (also single seat).

@sancho may be able to add some info.

Please leave the sir out!

I was under the impression that IAF wanted WSO system for their FGFA, I can confirm this probably in a week. HAL is buzzing with preparation for the PMF.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not know about the engine problems, I am actually a very big fan of R-29B-300 engine. Could you give me some link to this, this could be interesting!

IAF planning to phase out MiG-27 combat planes by 2017 - Indian Express
I was trying to find the other link where details where given. But no luck. But I remember that was posted here on PDF.

I member that the problem was with engine. And problem was metallurgic and big cracks were developing in engine before the specified services hours. Right now all 27s fights are at low rate and after excessive precautions.
The result of retiring them was taken after the report of committee on one one of the crash of 27

Firstly I am really glad that some Bangladeshi poster has quoted me for discussion and not to troll. Appreciated :tup:

:) Somebody is getting a reputation, keep it up! :tup:

The 42 squadron is the long term plan, but you can't really see what might come up till 2030, especially since we will see much more drone by the and less manned fighters.

IAF planning to phase out MiG-27 combat planes by 2017 - Indian Express
I was trying to find the other link where details where given. But no luck. But I remember that was posted here on PDF.

I member that the problem was with engine. And problem was metallurgic and big cracks were developing in engine before the specified services hours. Right now all 27s fights are at low rate and after excessive precautions.
The result of retiring them was taken after the report of committee on one one of the crash of 27

If this is not fixed , it would be very unfortunate, i was under the assumption that that DARE 3 upgrades, litening pods new MFD's etc were being sourced to because there were plans to keep this beast going till 2020, It would be indeed unfortunate. I have been a huge fan of the BAHADUR, It used to be delight to see them fly.

:) Somebody is getting a reputation, keep it up! :tup:
I will try ;) but I still can't resist to reply trolls in their own language. :D

The 42 squadron is the long term plan, but you can't really see what might come up till 2030, especially since we will see much more drone by the and less manned fighters.

42 Sqad is aim till 2022/25 - DM in Parliament.

So we can say 50 will be target in 10 more years.

I am not expecting too much from Aura right now. Let's believe it in when it pass TD phase

Please leave the sir out!

I was under the impression that IAF wanted WSO system for their FGFA, I can confirm this probably in a week. HAL is buzzing with preparation for the PMF.

Will do sir (oops!)lol! The "sir" is just because I hold you and your opinions in high regard and I am almost certain you are many years older than I!

Yes (wrt the WSO/twin seat PMF), that was the impression the IAF was giving out until relatively recently. AFAIK they have now said, or it has been said, that the FGFA will be single-seat only. It looks like the initial studies came back and said adding a second seat would detrimentally affect the FGFA's range and stealth characteristics.

I shall try and find a link for you to back it up.

If this is not fixed , it would be very unfortunate, i was under the assumption that that DARE 3 upgrades, litening pods new MFD's etc were being sourced to because there were plans to keep this beast going till 2020, It would be indeed unfortunate. I have been a huge fan of the BAHADUR, It used to be delight to see them fly.

IAF think FIX will cost more than the actual value of plane. So they might go for additional Rafaels or MK-2s.
I will try to find the original link.

I agree the LCA needs to be present in the IAF in large numbers, and I hope this takes place.

However sir, I am going to have to say it looks certain that all the IAF's 5th gen (heavy) fighters will be single seat FGFAs. The idea of having a twin seat FGFA seems to be dead and thus there is zero need for the Russian-specific PAK-FA when the IAF is getting the "Indianised/MKIsed" version of the PAK-FA/T-50 the FGFA (also single seat).

@sancho may be able to add some info.

LCA in large numbers is not going to happen, since we decided to divide the requirement into LCA and MMRCA. Also all the delays will make it available only in a time, when we already induct 5th gen aircrafts and a lot of drones, which will further limit the order potential above the 6 squadrons for IAF, that are planned so far.

Twin seat FGFA is not dead, but postponed in favour for more easier development and less costs, since no complete re-design is necessary now. Russian officials confirmed, that a twin seater might come later, especially for export countries.
So Russia will go for Pak Fa in 2015 (early version based on T50 and partially Su35/34 techs), with fully developed Pak Fa at the same time when we get FGFA. Both will be single seaters, with the new type 30 engines and hopefully some more changes wrt to engine coverings and TVN.

If this is not fixed , it would be very unfortunate

It isn't and caused several groundings of the whole fleet, one reason why possibly even the upgraded 2 squadrons will be phased out early, by Super 30s.

@sandy_3126 @Abingdonboy @sancho

I can bet nobody outside IAF and MOD knows the nature of FGFA/PAK-FA JV/deal.
1. All recent news in Indian and other media are posting as India is going to BUY FGFA/PAK-FA. If we are buying what kinda partnership we are looking at ???
2. Our ACM has done his best to create a lot of miss/wrong information about this project.

LCA in large numbers is not going to happen,

If and only if LCA MK-2 didn't meet the dead line. Which is most likely though

Twin seat FGFA is not dead, but postponed in favour for more easier development and less costs, since no complete re-design is necessary now. Russian officials confirmed, that a twin seater might come later, especially for export countries.
So Russia will go for Pak Fa in 2015 (early version based on T50 and partially Su35/34 techs), with fully developed Pak Fa at the same time when we get FGFA. Both will be single seaters, with the new type 30 engines and hopefully some more changes wrt to engine coverings and TVN.
@sancho, is this official (that the RuAF are going for 2 different blocks/tranches of the PAK-FA)? And I thought TVNs/Engine coverings for the FGFA were a given?

2. Our ACM has done his best to create a lot of miss/wrong information about this project.

lol,indeed, subsequent ACMs have made conflicting statments and even the same ACMs have made statements that conflict with their previous statements!

I think by citing both China and Pak in one line indians try to elevate themselves to a level which they dont deserve or most probably its how their govt tries to bluff their public and blind them from the reality that these 39 squadrons wont be even enough for Pak alone with all its smart bombs , cruise and ballistic missiles ..Dragging china into this thing is like a goat against a lion and the goat which will be gutted out is going to be india so imagine what a rumble india would be if she ever tries to take on both China and Pak altogether.
frink-elisabeth-1930-1993-unit-the-lion-the-goat-1474958.jpg

Had india been what she likes to believe herself to be there wouldnt have been still 7 lac active army in kashmir just against a handful of freedom fighters and it also reflects their army standards.

@sancho, Operational 5th gen fleet is beyond 2025, and sqdn strength is falling every year, in next 8 years we will lose 12 sqdns of mig 21's and 6 sqdns of Mig 27's. It makes perfect sense to induct large numbers of LCA mk2, I dont know if it will happen, I sure hope it will!!!

As far as UCAV's are concerned, I dont think IAF will hedge it's doctrine on concepts. UCAV's come into picture with complete air superiority, in clear and present danger, such scenario is difficult to achieve with smaller conflict window.

In any variant of CSD or alike doctrine, any ground movement needs to be preceded by heavy air interdiction and followed by CAS. LCA mk2 as a agile nimble dog fighter fits the bill for CAP's and dedicated ground attack light IBG's perfectly.

I might be completely wrong here, but a capable LCA mk2 has the potential to change the power equation in the subcontinent.

Back
Top Bottom