What's new

IAF faces shortage of fighter jets

Janbaz

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: At a time when the primacy of airpower in winning wars or at least "shaping" the battlefield for the army to move in is well-established, IAF will not be able to achieve its "sanctioned" strength of 39.5 fighter squadrons even by 2017.

The sheer inability of successive governments to formulate long-term integrated defence plans to progressively build the country’s military capabilities in tune with its geopolitical objectives means the IAF will continue to grapple with a shortage in fighters for the foreseeable future.

The IAF is down to just about 30-32 squadrons (each has 12 to 18 jets) at present, with many more older MiG variants lined up for progressive retirement.

Even with new acquisitions, India will only have 35.5 fighter squadrons by the end of the 11th Five Year Plan (2012), and 37.5 squadrons by end of the 12th one, say IAF projections.

"The depleted air force is a serious risk to national security," warns the latest report of the parliamentary standing committee on defence.

"There is an imperative need to revise acquisition targets to meet the authorised strength in the shortest possible timeframe," it adds, calling for "an action plan" by the government in this regard.

This is especially important since IAF itself has held it needs 44 squadrons to meet the "possible contingency" of "a full conflict" with Pakistan, while maintaining "a dissuasive posture" against China.

Moreover, simultaneous conflict with both Pakistan and China, with the capability to hold Pakistan and defend against China, will require 55 squadrons.

Though the IAF is inducting advanced multi-role fighters such as Sukhoi-30MKIs (230 jets have also been contracted from Russia in deals worth $8.5 billion) and force-multipliers like IL-78 mid-air refuellers and ‘Phalcon’ AWACS (airborne warning and control systems), numbers do matter in the ultimate analysis.

Both Pakistan and China, on their part, are rapidly boosting their air forces. Pakistan, for instance, is getting 36 more F-16s from the United States, coupled with its plans to induct as many as 250 JF-17 ‘Thunder’ fighters from China.

The previous IAF chief, Air Chief Marshal S P Tyagi, in fact, had even warned the UPA government that "unless immediate steps are taken to arrest the reduction in IAF’s force levels, the nation will, for the first time in its history, lose the conventional military edge over Pakistan".

The six-year delay by the government in launching the hunt for 126 new multi-role combat aircraft, under the gigantic Rs 42,000-crore project, will lead to the first lot of these fighters being delivered only by 2012 at the earliest.

By then, IAF would have retired 100 more MiG-21s, which constitute the bulk of its combat fleet, and 40 more MiG-27s.
To counter the sharp fall in numbers, IAF has upgraded 125 MiG-21 ‘Bisons’ and 100 each of the MiG-27MLs and Jaguars with new avionics, weapon systems and life-extension refits.

And now, after signing a Rs 3,840-crore deal with Russia to upgrade its 69 MiG-29s by 2011, IAF is looking for a similar package for its 51 Mirage-2000s with France.

Then, of course, there is the indigenous ‘Tejas’ Light Combat Aircraft programme, which was launched in 1983 to replace the ageing MiGs. But it’s running years behind schedule, with the first squadron likely to be inducted only by 2011-2012 now.

rajat.pandit@timesgroup.com

IAF faces shortage of fighter jets-India-The Times of India

Excellent read.......................the alarm bells are going on to our East!

OH great news guys for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers::yahoo:

No response from the indian side on this. The strength of their fleet is consistingly depleting yet indian members here are off an opinion that it will not hurt them much i wonder how?

Are the planes that Pakistan is acquiring from the United States and China able enough to deal with India's Sukhoi-30MKIs??? I heard that the JF-17's are not 4th generation fighter jets and are consistantly facing delays, either with the engines or better avionics...? I also heard that the F-16's the US was supplying was not as good as the previous jets, (F-16 Vipers). Can anyone share some light to this?

I think that we should be alittle less focused on India's problems and more concerned about Pakistan's problems..!!! Due to the Sanctions posed by our "Allies" the US, we have incurred many set backs with our own airforce....!!! I mean, it was so bad that the PAF were non existent during the Kargil war, that had left many of our own soliders badly exposed to Indian Air attacks.

No response from the indian side on this. The strength of their fleet is consistingly depleting yet indian members here are off an opinion that it will not hurt them much i wonder how?

Sorry for the delayed response

Anyway, see our Political ineffiency is doing all the mess despite having sufficent budget in place. I think unless and until we don't met with any conflict off guard tell them our politicians wouldn't gona wake up, morever our according to our present airchief, shortage in the fleet is duly been offseted by additins of MKI and Jaguars into the fleet. Add to this, he also said that our Su-30MKI can do the job of 10 Mig-21, so you can observe quality of MKI.

Another factor is that, an error been committed by Rajat Pandit, according to him Pakistan is rapidly boosting its airfoce with the additions of 250 JF-17 and 36 F-16, but he felt to give status of delivery of those aircraft and their capability in terms of radar, avionics etc, even PAF have their own problem they have to deal, infact PAF's problem is much more grave then IAF since it is highly been suffereing from lower budget, scare availability of advance avionics and radars etc. So under such circumstances I don't think he can exemplify the shortage of aircraft with boosting of PAF without any creadible information about their capability.

With all fairness, one should also take a look at the deployment of air defence systems like Akash etc which is being carried out quietly.

Another factor is that, an error been committed by Rajat Pandit, according to him Pakistan is rapidly boosting its airfoce with the additions of 250 JF-17 and 36 F-16, but he felt to give status of delivery of those aircraft and their capability in terms of radar, avionics etc,
Please explain
even PAF have their own problem they have to deal, infact PAF's problem is much more grave then IAF since it is highly been suffereing from lower budget, scare availability of advance avionics and radars etc.
Please explain

With all fairness, one should also take a look at the deployment of air defence systems like Akash etc which is being carried out quietly.
Please provide links on the success of Akash. I don't doubt what you're saying, I think Akash has succeeded unlike the other DRDO projects, but I would still like a link.

I think that we should be alittle less focused on India's problems and more concerned about Pakistan's problems..!!! Due to the Sanctions posed by our "Allies" the US, we have incurred many set backs with our own airforce....!!! I mean, it was so bad that the PAF were non existent during the Kargil war, that had left many of our own soliders badly exposed to Indian Air attacks.
I think you're right, we should be concerned with our own air force. As I said before we SHOULD also be MORE concerned with our indigenous projects rather than being concerned with the failures of DRDO.

Does anyone know whether Pakistan is on schedule with regards to modifying there squadrons...? And thus placing their F7's, Mirage III and IV's into retirement...??? I've heard that the aircrafts have far reach their sell by date and have recently been falling from the skies and causing unnecessary fatalities...!!!

The current inventory problems faced by the IAF is a byproduct of poor procurement policies of yesteryear combined with a new found desire to upgrade the entire force and institute a paradigm shift in operational values. It should come of no surprise given this difficult stage that the organization will have numerous teething problems.

Having said this, the IAF will still maintain a decent deterrent value (and an offensive advantage) in the near future vis a vis Pakistan at least, with their complements of at least a 100 Su30MKIs (total fleet will be around 200), ~ 60 upgraded Mig 29s, ~40 upgraded Mirage 2000, ~80 upgraded Jaguars, ~100 Mig 27 (Don't know how many of these will get major upgrades) and ~100 Mig21 Bisons. This along with their support aircrafts like the Midas refuellers and Phalcon AWACs will keep the IAF a force to take seriously until other hardware procurements are made. The IAF today, is far better equipped than what they were in 1999 during the Kargil conflict.

The primary problem for the IAF IMO is not hardware, but rather their diminishing capacity to fill their ranks with qualified officers who are seeking greener pastures in the booming private sector.

Does anyone know whether Pakistan is on schedule with regards to modifying there squadrons...? And thus placing their F7's, Mirage III and IV's into retirement...??? I've heard that the aircrafts have far reach their sell by date and have recently been falling from the skies and causing unnecessary fatalities...!!!

These are not unnecessary fatalities. PAF has no choice but to fly the old aircraft including Mirages that are 40 years old. Had PAF been allowed to upgrade aircraft and follow the normal life-cycle of induction of new and de-induction of older platforms then we would not be in this situation. Be that as it may, the JF-17 program seems to be on track to start replacing older aircraft like A-5s starting from next yeah inshallah. Unfortunately the alternate to not losing the aircraft is to keep them on the ground and impact operational readiness...this is not going to happen. PAF will try to maintain the aircraft to the best of its abilities and will be hoping that the problematic platforms will be replaced at the earliest with the JF-17.

The current inventory problems faced by the IAF is a byproduct of poor procurement policies of yesteryear combined with a new found desire to upgrade the entire force and institute a paradigm shift in operational values. It should come of no surprise given this difficult stage that the organization will have numerous teething problems.

Having said this, the IAF will still maintain a decent deterrent value (and an offensive advantage) in the near future vis a vis Pakistan at least, with their complements of at least a 100 Su30MKIs (total fleet will be around 200),
To be precise, the total fleet will be 230 Su-30MKI's.

~ 60 upgraded Mig 29s,
69 MiG 29's. And calling it an 'upgrade' is insulting to it. Its being completely changed.

~40 upgraded Mirage 2000,
I think the number is 49, but im not sure here. And the Mirage 2000 will be converted to Mirage 2009'+'. Many stand alone elements from the Rafale will be put in(or so i'v read).

The primary problem for the IAF IMO is not hardware, but rather their diminishing capacity to fill their ranks with qualified officers who are seeking greener pastures in the booming private sector.
True. AFAIK, once the MRCA is signed, and slowly but steadily, LCA will start getting inducted, around 2015, you will see a VERY VERY capable and proper sized IAF.

These 40 year old jets that you are refering to seem like a death trap to me, and young pilots which are being forced to fly them are being sent to their deaths at an early stage even before there are any signs of war and that to me sounds unnecessary and justified. I do not believe any country could be operationally ready flying that piece of junk, especially against Su30MKIs...!!! It would be more wiser to rely on SAM...

With regards to the JF-17's, being on track, it seems like all our prayers being answered. Though, i heard the annual production of this aircraft is only 8, with half going to China under an agreement between the two countries. Do you believe that this is sufficient enough to replace all prehistoric jets...?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom