What's new

IAF & DRDO successfully tested the smart anti-airfield weapon (SAAW)

A dangerous system if employed correctly. In the start of any conflict, both PAF and IAF will clearly be trying very hard to knock out each other's fighting capability near the border - for the PAF this is essentially most of its fighting capability.

This system looks rather small, so quite a few may be lobbed at a single target. Interesting concept. I wonder what kind of damage they are able to do to runways and if they do a durandall type thing (rocketing into the ground) when they get close to the runway.

A dangerous system if employed correctly. In the start of any conflict, both PAF and IAF will clearly be trying very hard to knock out each other's fighting capability near the border - for the PAF this is essentially most of its fighting capability.

This system looks rather small, so quite a few may be lobbed at a single target. Interesting concept. I wonder what kind of damage they are able to do to runways and if they do a durandall type thing (rocketing into the ground) when they get close to the runway.
I wonder how hard would a similar weapon be to make on our side? Match a HAFR bomb with a REK kit, remove HAFR's drag chute kit, insert a simple altimeter, INS and GPS and you get it. ImIR seeker is next level which we could consider down the lane.
What do you say?

I wonder how hard would a similar weapon be to make on our side? Match a HAFR bomb with a REK kit, remove HAFR's drag chute kit, insert a simple altimeter, INS and GPS and you get it. ImIR seeker is next level which we could consider down the lane.
What do you say?
Agreed, it’s a Dibber/Durandal (Pakistani version is Hafr) type bomb with REK and or propulsion with satellite navigation.

HAFR needs some legs to work in this age and time. Without a glide kit for standoff range, overflying an enemy airfield to deliver HAFR would be asking for too much from either the pilot or the platform!

HAFR needs some legs to work in this age and time. Without a glide kit for standoff range, overflying an enemy airfield to deliver HAFR would be asking for too much from either the pilot or the platform!

This is a problem with a number of systems that Pakistan has made where the manufacturer fails to innovate over time once the original product has been manufactured - etc.

india array of home made weapons in wide ranging
modi policy of make in India started over 5 years ago is beginning to show real pr9gression
Saw is just one examplev

Successfully tried and tested on Indian targets few years earlier.

FB_IMG_1635967128347.jpg

The SAAW has been tested, almost definitely only from Jaguar strike jets, since December 2016. The Indian Air Force and Indian Navy were immediately impressed with the weapon, and have been involved in testing and refining of the system ever since. The MoD cleared first orders of the SAAW in September last year, with the weapon to be integrated on the IAF’s Jaguar and Su-30 fighters and the Indian Navy’s MiG-29K jets. With ranges out to 100 km, the weapon provides military planners with a useful, homegrown, modular tactical strike system with what the possibility of at least two guidance options.

WhatsApp-Image-2019-02-23-at-11.28.19-AM.jpg

State-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) which had dabbled with the idea of deploying the SAAW off its souped up version of the BAE Hawk trainer, designated Hawk-i finally carried out such a test in January this year off India’s east coast.

That's why PAF doesn't use large twin engine fighter jets
The type of attack by India and its effects are already a constant In PAF equations.

It will be an extremely important weapon once the CATS warrior is ready. Also interesting is its usage on the Hawk.

440px-Sidebay_warrior.jpg

Successfully tried and tested on Indian targets few years earlier.

View attachment 789934
We cannot compete with this mighty aircraft! Spare us please! It's almost upsetting that this will also take care of the next, new fighter we put in operation. Rafale is already a dead duck :(

Back
Top Bottom