IAF chief flies his last sortie on Sukhoi-30 with his son

FOX80

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
SOURCE: PTI

1926324.jpg

Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne with his son Squadron Leader Omar Browne.

In his last ride in a fighter aircraft, outgoing IAF chief NAK Brownetoday chose to fly with his son Squadron Leader Omar Browne in a Su-30MKI combat plane in Pune.

“The Air Chief flew Su-30 with his son, Squadron Leader Omar Browne, also a Su-30 pilot posted to 20 Squadron there, in what would be recorded as the last sortie in the Air Chief’s log book,” an IAF release said here.

During Browne’s tenure, his son got several opportunities to display his flying skills in different exercises including the Exercise Ironfist in Jaisalmer earlier this year.

The IAF also gave away the Vayu Sena medal for gallantry to him for landing his aircraft safely.

Air Chief Marshal Browne is on a two-day visit to Pune to review the 125th Passing Out Parade of National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla.

He had commanded the Pune air base in 2001 and the mighty Su-30s were inducted for the first time in the IAF under his command.

Browne is retiring from the IAF on December 31 and will be replaced by Air Marshal Arup Raha.

Whats the big deal, hunh?
It could have been Omar Singh or Omar Nachimuthu for all the difference that it makes.
His parents gave him birth, and then gave him a name.
Juvenile!!
i am just saying its unusual

Am I missing something?

That is a bit of mis-reporting, I guess. I don't know the facts of this case; but it may have been a "Gong", for landing a disabled aircraft instead of ejecting.
I know of an Aviator who carried out a "Dead-Stick landing" on an IAF MiG-25 Foxbat instead of 'pulling the handle'. Aircraft got damaged some, but was not written off. Got this same "Gong" for it.

Am I missing something?

Idiotic wording by the reporter. This was the incident in question:

Omar is a fighter pilot and flies the Su-30MKI combat aircraft.
On 25 September last year, he was on a combat training mission as the Captain on Su 30 MKI along with an under training Operations Weapon Systems Operator, Flying Officer Shobhit Mishra.
Thirty minutes after take-off, Omar experienced severe restriction in the forward movement of the control stick in his cockpit which prevented the aircraft from achieving normal rate descent to lower altitudes.
Taking a calculated risk, he decided to attempt landing, regulated the fuel to make the aircraft light and executed a long and shallow approach.
Even after touchdown, he could not lower the aircraft nose wheel with stick force and had to resort to use of forward trim.
"Finally the pilot was able to execute safe landing from this grave situation," the IAF said.
"The pilot displayed immense courage, highest level of professionalism, superlative decision making backed by exceptional flying skills to recover the aircraft from an otherwise inevitable accident," Omar's citation read.

Indian Air Force chief NAK Browne's son among six officers to be awarded on Independence Day | NDTV.com
@Capt.Popeye @Star Wars

Heartwarming story. Love it . Good luck to both.......
Were you a pilot in the PAF? If you don't mind sharing?

Back
Top Bottom