What's new

IAF AN-32 Missing with crew of 29 in Bay of Bengal

I am hoping for the best and fearing about the worst.

More details are required especially about weather. Perhaps it crashed into sea. It is possible that the survivors are alive.

This time of the year the BOB region is bad for weather , Turboprops have a ceiling issue too.
The advantage with turboprops is that unless something catastrophic happens, due to their low speed and handling, they are easy to ditch in water,

The advantage with turboprops is that unless something catastrophic happens, due to their low speed and handling, they are easy to ditch in water,

Yes you are correct but with bad weather the sea too is very rough.

The AN family of aircraft is very sturdy , the AN 12's also were very sturdy & took a lot of beating.

Search and Rescue initiated.

2 P-8I and 3 Dornier aircraft were scrambled to assist search operations. Four ships Karmukh, Gharual, Jyoti and Kuthar were diverted to join in the search and rescue at full speed. More assets being dispatched shortly

2 coast guard ships also pressed for Search and Rescue.

8 naval bureau, 3 air force , 4 coast guard, 6 crew, 8 emergency ppl came in last minute - that's approx breakup of 29 personnel. Last 8 details still being ascertained ...

Plane reaching area of search in next 15 mins.

iaf3.jpg

Main issues
  1. Bad weather led rough sea
  2. Daylight time being limited
These two possess the biggest challenges.

Floating debris spotting or even life craft spotting would be a challenge. GPS and instrumentation transponder /emergency beacon may help us pinpoint location

It's basically 4 hours of window available for search and rescue for daylight point of view post which ships will use search lights ..

2:40pm: Last contact with Indian Air Force AN-32 aircraft was at 8:46AM, flight level was at 23000ft, total distance 1375KM

2: 32pm: We have launched two P-8I’s, one of which was diverted, and three Dornier aircrafts. Sharma, however, didnt confirm the number of personnel on the missing aircraft.

2:31pm: Captain D K Sharma, Navy PRO, said an overdue procedure has been issued and the navy has launced full scale SAR to look for the aircraft. He also said the aircraft started from Chennai at 8:30 it was supposed to land at Port Blair at 11:30.

2:00 pm: IAF AN-32 plane airborne from Tambaram Airbase of Chennai to Port Blair which went missing, had 29 persons onboard.

1:54 pm: 4 coast guard ships & 2 dornier aircraft deployed for search operations 200 knot mile from east of Chennai

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/iaf-aircraft-missing-updates-2929420/lite/

I hope rescue teams can find them. I'm sure these guys have plenty of life saving gear on board, in case of a ditching in water.
Plane missing since morning no news of emergency landing or any radio contact even if they make any effort of landing in sea there would be some sort of news but plane just vanished.

You have to tell with your experience, you lost your caliphate and now blowing up yourself !
ignore the trolls pal, its not worth it, i know we are hoping or the best but we need to get to reality here. now best case scenerio theres a radio problem and its lost communication mid case is that its has crashed but they are suvivors , but i fear the worst here being realistic.

didn't these come back from the urkraine from an upgrade?
and also are these being replaced by the c925 which is supposedly being built by tata?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom