What's new

IAF AN-32 Missing with crew of 29 in Bay of Bengal

Same A/C but an old news with same situation...

On March 25, 1986, the IAF lost its second An-32. But, why should a brand new aircraft, straight from the factory, on its last leg of ferry to India, disappear without a trace – a question that could never be answered? There were no mountains on its flight path as it was flying over the sea at a comfortable height above sea level. There might have been some clouding but generally the route weather was reported to be fair.

In the absence of any radio call from the crew of the ill-fated aircraft and the fact that no debris were found of the wreckage, the accident has been buried in the IAF’s flight safety archives as ‘Unresolved’. However, what has come to be known – though never fully substantiated – is that the US Navy had launched a massive hunt for a missing carrier borne aircraft of its own at the same time and, in the same area, where K2729 was supposed to have gone down. Unfortunately, there was reportedly no distress call from the USN pilot either, nor the wreckage of aircraft ever found. Could it therefore be a case of a possible mid-air collision, caused by lack of ‘situational awareness’, resulting in immediate disintegration/death of both aircraft and crews giving no time to either of them to initiate a distress call?

In the geopolitical scenarios prevalent in the 1980s, there was hardly a chance for the US and Indian governments to synergise their respective searches for the missing airplanes. In any case, the US Navy never officially admitted to the loss of one of its aircraft in the Arabian Sea on that day in 1986.

http://www.indiastrategic.in/topstories3291_MH370_Rekindling_Memories_IAF_AN-32.htm

This would make it the second fatal An-32 crash in past Fourteen years and the first since 2009.

India acquired a total of 123 An-32 out of which 15 have been written off(including today's incident) and 10 of the losses happened between 1986-1994.
On 16 January, 2016 Ukrainian ambassador to India reported that the 5 IAF AN-32 missing in Ukraine were traced and returned back to India.

This leaves IAF with 108 An-32s

The AN-32 is quite a hardy plane, once it even managed to make it back to base after one engine fell off....so hope for the best .

As i was going through the news about AN-32, one thing that really surprised me that, interestingly this A/C went missing most of times. Even in Ukrain, they found the missing ones and returned to India. Furthermore, in 1986, a new A/C from the factory en-route to India gone missing on the same time while a Malaysian Commercial A/C was also reported missing/off the radar and no response.

The basic questions are why these type of incidents are happening across the Indian Ocean..

Cross posting from other thread:

This would make it the second fatal An-32 crash in past Fourteen years and the first since 2009.
India acquired a total of 123 An-32 out of which 15 have been written off(including today's incident) and 10 of the losses happened between 1986-1994.
On 16 January, 2016 Ukrainian ambassador to India reported that the 5 IAF AN-32 missing in Ukraine were traced and returned back to India.

This leaves IAF with 108 An-32s

Last edited:
As i was going through the news about AN-32, one thing that really surprised me that, interestingly this A/C went missing most of times. Even in Ukrain, they found the missing ones and returned to India. Furthermore, in 1986, a new A/C from the factory en-route to India gone missing on the same time while a Malaysian Commercial A/C was also reported missing/off the radar and no response.

Bermuda triangle effect ?

Seems the weather was an issue

This time of the year the BOB region is bad for weather , Turboprops have a ceiling issue too.

That's an old aircraft. I hope passengers are recovered and safe.

Bermuda triangle effect ?

Not like that but most probably weather in such months of the year so also feels like revision of equipment is needed badly for the safety of lives. Heard about that search operation of lastly missing 2014 Malaysian Airliner is temporarily suspended and I am like, where the plane goes even no debris yet. A sad news but AN-32 incident seems like the same issue while gone missing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom