What's new

I need your advice

It's what I want to do, it's what my father did as well. I need to come up with ideas, problem is he advises against me doing business and thinks medicine is the right approach.

In Arab-American culture:

Do medicine or you're a failure. Pretty much how it goes. :lol:

Same with Pakistanis lol. You have to be a doctor or engineer.

do computer science its the future bro, thats what I'm going for lol

So many people are into that, I never was an expert with computers. Expert on the internet only. :D

I took a networking course back in my younger days, was not appealing to me.

It is usual dilemma that everyone face when it in your age.
You like automotive industry.So focusing on that industry is good.Obtaining a degree in that subject will be easier for you.
Then take a MBA .
It is good

So many people are into that, I never was an expert with computers. Expert on the internet only. :D

I took a networking course back in my younger days, was not appealing to me.
well I'm just about to start with it in sept. so lets see how boring it really is lol.

Kind of, more lazy than most people here forsure. :D

I am going to leave politics aside for the most part, and largely be absent from PDF in the near future. Maybe this way I might change my mind.

Although I don't like medicine, I like the idea of running my own business.
get up,,,,,put on some clothes,,,go out,,,get a gal,,get a life ,,,mann

It is usual dilemma that everyone face when it in your age.
You like automotive industry.So focusing on that industry is good.Obtaining a degree in that subject will be easier for you.
Then take a MBA .
It is good

Good point. If @Hazzy997 loves automotive industry and also likes business, then the most logical route for him would be a career in either: 1) Industrial Engineering, 2) Mechanical Engineering. Industrial Engineers deal with a lot of organizational culture, the work output processes and focus on strategies to increase efficiency, mediate inter-personal issues that reduce productivity. There is a huge demand for Industrial engineers in the automotive industry, health care industry, manufacturing industry, and surprisingly, even in the corporate structure. A bachelors' degree in Industral Engineering , a person can make (starting) around $75-80k, with more advanced degrees such as Masteral or Ph.D, you can go into leadership programs and easily make anywhere around $150- >$200k per annum.

@Hazzy997 , you also can't go wrong if you go into Industrial & Organizational Psychology, the average I/O professionals with Doctorate make over $100 k, lol. And no physical labor, just delegating and consulting... :lol::lol:

@Hazzy997

Talking about business graduates related opportunities, I have input for you:

Market Research is good, I am a bit too late about understanding it, if not I will master statistic at college. Having experience in market research job first, and then make a company, by only having four person is enough to start. The project value can be huge bro...But of course need marketing appeal and previous track record as an market research employee.

Last edited:
Hi @Hazzy997 ,

I can empathize with you since I , too, come from a family that is conservative and expresses its view to me as if it should be followed to the word. Both my parents are physicians in Japan, and as the eldest of 4 children , I was expected to follow in their footsteps. I was pre-med when i was in college , took all the requirements for entrance into medical schools in Japan. I minored in Psychology (industrial). After i graduate , i joined the armed forces to explore the world , of course to the objection of my parents.

It was when i served in the JMSDF that i realized the importance of organizational effectiveness, and the career opportunities in this field. I took graduate studies in the US, and now am finishing my Ph.D in Industrial / Organizational Psychology. I love my field, knowing what i have contributed to my line of work/ study, and the opportunities that is before me when i finish my Ph.D. I encourage you to find your true calling, an inward analysis so to say. Decide in what you want to do , not what anyone else wants you to do, because in the end, brother, you will have to live with your decision.

If you consider medicine, that, too, has a lot of opportunities, but so does engineering. In fact, biomedical engineers can make 6 figures , let alone if you finish your Ph.D in it. There is also a lot of options in mechanical engineering, computer engineering, chemical engineering, as well as civil engineering.

Best wishes on your decision. And remember...ask for the Blessings of the Almighty to guide your decision.

Good Luck!!

See you around.

PS. It helps to build a 5 year plan. :)
Ph. D ! ! :o: screw me :suicide: after MBA, i am done lol

@Hazzy997

Talking about business graduates related opportunities, I have several input for you:

Market Research is good, I am a bit too late about understanding it, if not I will master statistic at college. Having experience in market research job first, and then make a company, by only having four person is enough to start. The project value can be huge bro...But of course need marketing appeal and previous track record as an market research employee.

Corporate insurance market is also related to huge money. Marketing insurance for corporations.

Marketing research sounds appealing. As I've said to others here though, engineering is not my thing either. I don't want complex math and science.

Doesn't fit me at all.

@Hazzy997

Talking about business graduates related opportunities, I have several input for you:

Marketing Research is good, I am a bit too late about understanding it, if not I will master statistic at college. Having experience in research marketing job first, and then make a company, by only having four person is enough to start. The project value can be huge bro...But of course need marketing appeal and previous track record as an marketing research employee.

Corporate insurance market is also related to huge money. Marketing insurance for corporations.

@Indos ,

I agree with you, there's a lot of possibilities in Risk Finances, Economics, too. I mean, damnn good job outlooks for that here.

Ph. D ! ! :o: screw me :suicide: after MBA, i am done lol

Well if you have an MBA and are settled in a great leadership position, that's great. I think there's more opportunities , more doors open when you finish your Ph.D, a career in academia , research, etc. But it is only for those who are serious about it tho. I'm now on my 4th academic year on my Ph.D..and i'm already starting to feel 'crazy'. LOL. :hitwall:

ps. the hard part of the Ph.D process isn't the classes, its the satisfying your doctoral content adviser , and re-writing lit revs...and dealing with the IRB (institutional review board) and getting one's proposal 'accepted' ....!!!!:hitwall::hitwall::D

I'm a young college student, still early on. However, I'm not sure what I want to get into to. I have no passion for medicine, science or mathematics. Politics for me is a hobby/need, I don't want a political career. Nor anything related to military. I want to be able to make a good living.

I'm not a person who explores all areas of life. So I have trouble guiding myself. The family expects me to get into medicine although I despise it.

I have a passion for the automotive industry. I don't want to do engineering though. I believe I would enjoy some sort of strategy based role or management role in the automotive industry. I like to read about information a lot and make something out of it. As of now though I'm all over the place. So I need to make a decision to keep me focused on one topic.

Does anybody here know what degrees would suit me? If you need more information about me please ask more questions so I can evaluate what's right for me. Because this is stressing me out lately.

I know this may not be the right place, but, please experienced people leave me some useful advice.
A journalist for the automobile magazine, or a website editor. Learn some web program, u will be boss to manage ur automobile website. When u get enough rich from ur job, open the 4S car shop to sell cars.

Back
Top Bottom