What's new

I LOVE this duo: Chinese Smartphones Lift Japan’s Electronics Business

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
BN-FC140_1020CH_M_20141020112257.jpg

‘The pie for the component demand is growing,’ says Murata Manufacturing President Tsuneo Murata, shown in 2012 with a bicycle-riding robot. Reuters

:yahoo::cheers::yahoo:

KYOTO, Japan—China’s smartphone boom is being fueled by an unlikely source: Japanese parts makers.

Upstart Chinese phone makers like Xiaomi Inc., Lenovo Group Ltd. and Huawei Technologies Co. are increasingly undercutting smartphone giants like Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. with high-performance, low-cost handsets.

A significant portion of those handsets’ guts—as much as 50% by value, in some cases—is made by Japanese companies like Murata Manufacturing Co. or TDK Corp. Those parts range from displays and Wi-Fi modules to tiny, energy-storing ceramic capacitors.

“Almost all cellphone manufacturers are our customers,” said Tsuneo Murata, president of Murata, which makes capacitors and other components. “The pie for the component demand is growing.”

The parts sales are a rare bright spot in Japan’s gloomy electronics industry, and China’s smartphone market—the world’s largest and growing at 19% a year, according to Counterpoint Research—is a big factor. Sales there are being fueled by cutthroat competition among dozens of brands, some of which offer smartphones at less than $100. Lower prices mean smaller budgets for parts, but Japanese suppliers often provide a larger share of components to Chinese brands than to Apple or Samsung, analysts say.

In the second quarter of this year, Xiaomi leapfrogged Apple and Samsung to become the best-selling smartphone provider in China, according to Canalys, a research firm. Counterpoint says Chinese brands will capture about three-quarters of the domestic market this year, in terms of volume, up from one-third in 2010.

Chinese companies are boosting purchases of Japanese parts as they push beyond the domestic market, in order to upgrade their phones. In some Chinese-branded phones, Japanese suppliers provide up to half of the parts by value, said Daiki Takayama, an analyst at Goldman Sachs.

Another Chinese smartphone maker, ZTE Corp. , buys displays from Sharp Corp. of Japan for its high-end phones, along with camera modules from Sony Corp. , said Lu Qianhao, head of the company’s handset marketing strategy. He cited technological know-how, manufacturing expertise and quality control as advantages of Japanese suppliers.

By contrast, Japanese suppliers account for about one-third of the bill of materials for the latest iPhones, and less than that for Samsung phones, said Shoji Sato, an analyst at Morgan Stanley MUFG Securities.

Even phone-screen maker Japan Display Inc., whose shares plunged last week after it predicted a loss this fiscal year because of delays in shipments to Apple, says that it expects sales to Chinese smartphone makers to nearly triple to ¥180 billion ($1.68 billion) during the same period.

Japan Display makes liquid-crystal displays for smartphones and tablet computers, one of the most competitive areas in the parts business, in which rivals like LG Display Co. of South Korea have been making inroads. Suppliers like Murata that dominate hard-to-copy niches are doing better.

Murata, which is based in Kyoto, built on a long tradition of ceramics-making in Japan’s former capital to hone its specialization in capacitors and related components.

The company’s latest capacitors are not much bigger than a grain of sand, but they contain about 100 layers of ceramics, and Murata uses proprietary machines and methods to make them.

“It’s like making a good mille-feuille,’’ Mr. Takayama said. “You can buy a very high-quality egg, the best vanilla essence or whatever, but nobody else knows how to mix it or how long to bake it.”

Because Murata is the world’s largest supplier of capacitors for phones, with a 35% share, it can assure manufacturers of a reliable supply, analysts say. That is important given the tight schedules of the smartphone business.

Capacitors cost pennies or less, but state-of-the-art handsets contain 700 to 800 of them—three or four times as many as in previous generations of smartphones, the company says.

Mr. Sato estimated that Murata sells $2 to $3 worth of parts to most Chinese smartphone makers per handset. Given that Xiaomi alone has forecast shipments of 60 million phones in 2014 and 100 million next year, that is a solid source of revenue. Apple, which uses more capacitors, as well as other parts that Chinese makers don’t generally source from Murata, buys about $9 to $10 worth of Murata parts for every iPhone, Mr. Sato estimated.

Murata’s sales of parts to smartphone makers and other suppliers of communications gear rose about 90% over the past five years, to ¥430 billion in the year ended March 31, boosting overall sales by about 60%, to ¥847 billion.

The Kyoto area, also home to parts makers like Rohm Semiconductor , Nidec Corp. and Kyocera Corp. , has been one of the biggest beneficiaries of the Chinese smartphone boom. TDK, which is based in Tokyo and makes capacitors and other parts, says its sales to Chinese smartphone makers rose 50% in the April-June quarter.

The push to automate smartphone assembly plants in China, including those making phones for non-Chinese brands, is providing a further boost to Japanese suppliers. Fanuc Corp. , a maker of industrial robots that is based in the shadow of Mount Fuji, in September sharply upgraded its forecast for sales and earnings in the financial year ending in March by 29% and 26%, respectively.

Katsushi Saito, an analyst at Nomura Securities, said increased orders for plants owned by Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. , which operates under the trade name Foxconn Technology Group and is a major assembler of Apple and Xiaomi phones, was the likely reason.

A spokesman for Fanuc said he couldn’t disclose the names of the company’s clients. Apple didn’t respond to a request for comment. Xiaomi and Foxconn declined to comment.

Much of the growth in demand for parts this year was linked to China’s rollout of high-speed networks and the handsets that operate on them.

Japanese parts suppliers have also benefited from the recent weakness of the Japanese yen, which reduces a price gap with competitors in South Korea and China.

Like other parts suppliers, Murata is looking beyond the boom in Chinese smartphones to new markets like wearable technology, as well as existing industries with a growing appetite for precision electronics parts, such as the automotive and health-care businesses, Mr. Murata said.

—Juro Osawa in Hong Kong and Chieko Tsuneoka in Tokyo contributed to this article.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/chinese-smartphones-lift-japans-electronics-business-1413827482

Comment: This is the reason why Japan and Chinese integration in markets is a necessity. I pray more and more symbiotic opportunities can be availed of.

Comment: This is the reason why Japan and Chinese integration in markets is a necessity. I pray more and more symbiotic opportunities can be availed of.

Japan's industrial might cannot be denied and China benefiting from it is only a good news.

I hope for a greater opening up of respective markets for even denser trade flow and cooperation.

Takeda sees China as 2nd-biggest drug market

Japan's largest pharmaceutical company Takeda aims to build China into its second-largest market within 10 years by introducing new products more quickly in the country.

Takeda plans to unveil at least three to four innovative drugs in China in the next five years to broaden its pipeline of drugs to treat diabetes and tumors, Giles Platford, president of emerging markets unit at Takeda, said in an interview with Shanghai Daily.

China is now Takeda's fourth-largest market by sales. The company's global revenue was US$16.9 billion in the financial year ended on March 31, this year. The country is expected to become the world's second-largest pharmaceutical market next year.

Currently, Takeda's sales in China mainly come from off-patent generic drugs but it will step up efforts to launch more innovative drugs to drive sales in the country, Platford said.

Takeda operates the Shanghai Development Center as a clinical trial facility for products that have been researched and developed outside China for approval by China's Food and Drug Administration.

Within a few months Takeda will also unveil a logistics center in Taizhou in Jiangsu Province which will distribute Takeda drugs imported from Europe and Japan.

Clearly China is a HUGE market with proven results. This year our trade level will exceed $320 billion.

I want China-Japan trade level to hit the $400 Billion mark!

Taiwan’s Export Orders Rise to New High in September

Taiwanese Export Orders Lifted by Demand for Apple’s iPhone

browse.php
ENLARGE
Taiwan's role in Apple Inc.'s supply chain helped boost exports in September. Here, people line up to buy new iPhone 6 smartphones at an event in Taiwan's capital, Taipei. ZUMA PRESS

By FANNY LIU

Oct. 20, 2014 4:58 a.m. ET

TAIPEI—Taiwan’s export orders rose to a new high in September, spurred by strong demand for new iPhones and continued recovery in key export markets.

Overseas buyers placed $43.31 billion of orders with Taiwanese manufacturers last month, up 12.7% from a year earlier, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said Monday. The growth rate was much higher than August’s 5.2% and the 3.33% rise forecast by economists.

The island’s electronics-focused exports have been outperforming most Asian countries this year, largely because of its central role in Apple Inc. ’s supply chain. Taiwanese-owned factories onshore and in China are key assemblers and suppliers of components to new iPhones, which have seen strong demand from consumers since the device’s September launch. Chip maker Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. , camera-lens maker Largan Precision Co. and assembler Foxconn Technology Group each reported record-high revenues last month.

Export orders for electronic products—mostly microprocessors for smartphones—rose 19.4% to a record of $11.15 billion in September, picking up from a 12.6% rise in August. It marks the eighth consecutive month of double-digit growth rates.

Orders for portable devices such as notebook PCs and smartphones also jumped 16.3% to $12.85 billion. The ministry said the rollout of faster fourth-generation mobile network has spurred a wave of smartphone upgrades.

Recovering U.S. demand and the approaching year-end holiday sales offered another boost to Taiwan’s export orders. In September, 26% of orders were placed by U.S. buyers, up 15.5% from a year earlier to $11.37 billion, also a record.

Last month, orders from Hong Kong and China rose 8.6% to $10.40 billion. China, which imports goods for domestic consumption and re-exports to developed economies, accounted for around 24% of Taiwan orders last month.

“The strength of orders from developed economies and China suggest that this year’s holiday demand is going to be stronger, and more broad-based, than many of us had expected,” said Aidan Wang, an economist from Yuanta Investment.

However, Chinese demand remains a swing factor as the country is trudging an uneven growth path, economists say.

“China’s economic conditions haven't stabilized,” Standard Charted economist Tony Phoo said.

China is also increasingly reliant on locally produced components and placing fewer orders from Taiwanese manufacturers, which could be a longer-term negative to Taiwan’s trade, Mr. Phoo added.

well tbh. i admire the way china amd Japan seperate business from politics, unlike other countries in south Asia who tend to be too hostile/ obsessed with rivalries or disputes they have with their neighbors. this can be seen in the case of india -pakistan trade which is almot non existent. same with India -china trade which is still very small/midget compared to china- Japan trade or even china-russia trade . I was even surprised to read that india had rejected a chinese offer to finance over 20-30% of its infrastructure needs this coming decade.lool talk of paranoia. this is without knowing that japan invested alot in several sectors in china these past decades, without the chinese raising any 'security concerns' .For investments always helps a country especially when its in sectors that country is lagging behind. so india,Pakistan and other countries in south Asia should learn from this and stop their paranoia. else they will remain the most poorest/ backward region in Asia for a long time to come. while east asia moves on.

murata, why not solve quality alert that my team have sent first, or you will be charged a big more for attrition caused by you.

This is the new enrollment in global supply chain. Nice collaboration of both countries.

Sourcing from Japan is only part of China's demand and the major portion still retained to Chinese venders such as BOE and even small firms. China is such monstrous industrial giant and hold the crux of global supply chain. I am just wondering how "makes in India" even starts. No offensive just fair observation.

This is the new enrollment in global supply chain. Nice collaboration of both countries.

Sourcing from Japan is only part of China's demand and the major portion still retained to Chinese venders such as BOE and even small firms. China is such monstrous industrial giant and hold the crux of global supply chain. I am just wondering how "makes in India" even starts. No offensive just fair observation.

Well dont put the blame only on India, the whole south Asian region(Pakistan included) is still quite backward/dirt poor compared to east Asia to be honest. Visiting both regions makes an outsider like me feel its two different continents.:disagree: Im not insulting your region bro, just stating what i have observed myself. If south Asia doesn't get its acts together/open up to trade and investments from any country(rival neighbouring countries included, where there is a huge opportunity/gap for trade) then i'm afraid in a decade or two from now, you people will be even more worse off when compared to east asia.:bounce:

You people should simply learn from China and Japan, whom despite being sworn ennemies(note China hates Japan far far more than anything it has against India) still trade/invest in each other countries than any other country in the region (even more than they do with the U.S/west).

Last edited:
Well dont put the blame only on India, the whole south Asian region(Pakistan included) is still quite backward/dirt poor compared to east Asia to be honest. Visiting both regions makes an outsider like me feel its two different continents.:disagree: Im not insulting your region bro, just stating what i have observed myself. If south Asia doesn't get its acts together/open up to trade and investments from any country(rival neighbouring countries included, where there is a huge opportunity/gap for trade) then i'm afraid in a decade or two from now, you people will be even more worse off when compared to east asia.:bounce:

You people should simply learn from China and Japan, whom despite being sworn ennemies(note China hates Japan far far more than anything it has against India) still trade/invest in each other countries than any other country in the region (even more than they do with the U.S/west).

We know how to separate politics from business. What can I say. Pragmatism is a trait of East Asians. :dance3:

I just love the design of Huawei P7, P6 and G6. Price tag aside, they look just so classy.

In comparison those of iphones and Samsung, even the very high end, shape like 50-yr-old MILFs. :lol:

I just love the design of Huawei P7, P6 and G6. Price tag aside, they look just so classy.

In comparison those of iphones and Samsung, even the very high end, shape like 50-yr-old MILFs. :lol:

Now you could try Huawei H6 and this model is good.

We know how to separate politics from business. What can I say. Pragmatism is a trait of East Asians. :dance3:

Exactly. China-Japan economies are quite complementary. For China-India, I cannot say the same, given India is dirt poor and backward.

I think Japan and China only argue about some politics, but no real actions are taken...
The good trading and people communication is never stopped..
Yet India-Pak are often on wars..
Also as far as I see, India is very sensitive about China, not allowing China on many investment..
BTW, India also does not allow many investment due to internal politics.

well tbh. i admire the way china amd Japan seperate business from politics, unlike other countries in south Asia who tend to be too hostile/ obsessed with rivalries or disputes they have with their neighbors. this can be seen in the case of india -pakistan trade which is almot non existent. same with India -china trade which is still very small/midget compared to china- Japan trade or even china-russia trade . I was even surprised to read that india had rejected a chinese offer to finance over 20-30% of its infrastructure needs this coming decade.lool talk of paranoia. this is without knowing that japan invested alot in several sectors in china these past decades, without the chinese raising any 'security concerns' .For investments always helps a country especially when its in sectors that country is lagging behind. so india,Pakistan and other countries in south Asia should learn from this and stop their paranoia. else they will remain the most poorest/ backward region in Asia for a long time to come. while east asia moves on.

I think Japan and China only argue about some politics, but no real actions are taken...
The good trading and people communication is never stopped..
Yet India-Pak are often on wars..
Also as far as I see, India is very sensitive about China, not allowing China on many investment..
BTW, India also does not allow many investment due to internal politics.

India suffers from widespread corruption, hence, it is a huge risk for overseas investors to do business there. Also, the country lacks infrastructure. China, on the other hand, is a manufacturing powerhouse with great logistics. Do the math.

Back
Top Bottom