What's new

I got stabbed - and people just stared

Ghareeb_Da_Baal

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
'I got stabbed - and people just stared!' Waitress' bloody tale after West Side subway attack

Read more: 'I got stabbed - and people just stared!' Waitress' bloody tale after West Side subway attack

A mugger stabbed a waitress who wouldn't give up her bag on an upper West Side subway platform early Sunday - and initially, no one came to her aid.

"They were just staring," said the 26-year-old waitress, who estimated there were around 20 people on the platform when she was attacked at 2:30 a.m.

"I said, 'I just got stabbed! Call 911! Does anyone know what I should do?' They just stared at me," she recounted from her bed at St. Luke's Hospital, where she was in stable condition with a stab wound to her left side.

The Daily News is withholding the victim's name because her attacker, who fled down Broadway, remains at large.

The victim was heading home to Washington Heights from her shift at a midtown restaurant with a couple of hundred dollars in tips in her purse.

She said she noticed the mugger - a slender, 6-foot-tall black man with short hair - on the No. 2 train heading uptown from Columbus Circle. He had his feet up on another seat, she remembered.

At 96th St. and Broadway, she got off to transfer to the No. 1, and he got off, too.

"He kinda just circled me and showed me his knife. He grabbed my purse and I tried to grab it back. I wanted my purse. I had money, everything in there. I was scared, I wasn't really thinking," she said.

"He stabbed me and I let go," she said. "I don't think I felt anything until he ran off and I pressed on it [the wound] and I was bleeding. I started freaking out."

She called for help, but her fellow straphangers just gaped at her.

It wasn't until she collapsed on the platform, bleeding, that anyone moved to help.

"I was lying down on the platform. There was a girl who came over; she was calming me down, she was nice," the waitress said.

The victim, who was in good spirits and being comforted by her boyfriend, said she was mostly just angry at losing her purse.

"I'm more p---ed off. I really want my bag back. I had a lot of stuff in there, important things like keys, IDs," she said.

"I can't breathe well: It's like someone's standing on my rib cage. But I wouldn't care if I had my bag."

Her boyfriend, Chris Delapaz, 22, held her hand.

"I'm just glad she's okay," he said.

Investigators are reviewing security camera footage for images of the thief, police said.

The waitress, who has lived in New York for four years, hasn't told her family in Hawaii what happened for fear of worrying them.

jlauinger@nydailynews.com

With Kate Nocera

Wow... I would have jumped to her defense. If those 20 people jumped the mugger, they would have gotten him.

Shamful ..... its not uncommon , I have seen videos mock videos ppl pretending to be dieing in big cities and lieing in sides and no one even cares every one walks by

I personally have seen homless ppl walking in los angeles carting their bags with them old folks and I wondered wow US is suppose to be the richest nation in world ....

Strange stuff happens sometimes that makes you wonder

Shamful ..... its not uncommon , I have seen videos mock videos ppl pretending to be dieing in big cities and lieing in sides and no one even cares every one walks by

I personally have seen homless ppl walking in los angeles carting their bags with them old folks and I wondered wow US is suppose to be the richest nation in world ....

Strange stuff happens sometimes that makes you wonder
US is the richest because it has the least amount of people doing this; however, they still have a ridiculous amount of this stuff happening.

I still don't get why no one would help her, even after the danger was gone.

If its anything.... This lady should be grateful that at least she is alive & she didn't wind up like this poor guy who was trying to help a lady from getting mugged & once the mugger stabbed the guy the lady ran in one direction & the mugger in the other while as for bystanders, One man bent down to the sidewalk to shake the man, lifting him to reveal a pool of blood before walking away. Two men were busy in a conversation about the situation, one paused to take a photo of the body before departing. But the rest merely turned their heads toward the body, revealing some curiosity as they hurried along.by the time helped arrived he was dead.
Morality & Humanity is at the verge of extinction in American society.........? Yup, pretty much like it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/26/nyregion/26homeless.html

Last edited:
The thing is, I take the subway a lot here in Toronto (to and from University mostly), and you see a lot of nut-jobs on them. It is not unheard of for someone to fake-scream that they've been stabbed when they're drunk. Also, it says there were only 20 people on the platform, and if they were very far away, it would have been hard for them so see any blood.

I've seen myself two people who knew each other fake a fight. One of them said to the other "I'll cut you open right here" and reached into his bag. Everyone around him scrambled, some got out of the way, others, like me, moved to grab him, thinking that he was about to pull a knife. What ended up happening is he pulled out a tooth-brush from his bag, and they both started laughing.

At other times, people have faked falling onto the tracks, being mugged, and much more.

Subways are, f*kd up, and some areas a lot more so than others. This is why when anything strange happens on a subway, your first reaction is "not again". Still, if I heard someone say "I just got stabbed", I would at least try to see if they weren't faking it.

You cant fight someone with a knife in his hand, unless you have something also. Chances are others didn't have anything.

It's a sadly common phenomenon when in cities with denser populations. There's some sort of "anonymity" effect going on.

Let's say your driving down a thick highway, and a ways ahead, you see an accident. Most people assume "Someone else will dial 911 and help" and continue on their way, because their day is oh, so important.

In more rural areas, bystanders will usually help immediately.

It's a sadly common phenomenon when in cities with denser populations. There's some sort of "anonymity" effect going on.

Let's say your driving down a thick highway, and a ways ahead, you see an accident. Most people assume "Someone else will dial 911 and help" and continue on their way, because their day is oh, so important.

In more rural areas, bystanders will usually help immediately.

That's exactly my thoughts. I live in a college town, surrounded by smaller cities, in the States. I love it here. Slower pace of life. Less sirens noise from police cars, ambulances, fire engines. Hardly ever seen beggars.

But mine is not some hick-ville either. College towns in America and Canada are the best places to live in.

Big cities have a dehumanizing effect on people. They get used to the violence, the noise, the beggars, the crimes. And what do they get in return: Same thing I can get if I were to drive to two hours to Atlanta or two hours to Charlotte.

Why do immigrants stick with big cities is beyond me.

Happens everywhere.... but this one reminded me of my story when i rolled my car in lahore... broke 4 of my left hands metacarpal bones,fractured my right foot,got bruised,cut my eyelid (almost all of it),got glass in my eyes.. among other crap.... my driver who was sitting on the passenger seat was unconsious... i was standing in the middle of the road people staring at me but nobdy helped us...nobdy even called 1122 Rescue guys... i was asking for help but Nobdy came... my cell,wallet got stolen... but then a cab driver pulled in took me to the hospital.. (God bless tht guy)... if he hadnt helped us ... my eye would have been lost, and my driver would have been dead coz of serious injury on his dead....after then when my uncle went to recover my car... it had no sterio system,no allow rims...
This shyt happens in big cities... but yes there r god fearing people who help u and give u a message tht yes there is Humanity!

Got an eye surgery and spent more then a month in bed.:)

Thats called city life..People are overwhelmed by dilemmas of their own.Thay dont have the capacity to share someone else's trouble,they got too many troubles of their own.

Sad but true.

You cant fight someone with a knife in his hand, unless you have something also. Chances are others didn't have anything.

Wasn't there anyone with some interest in martial arts like me.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
This happened in NY?? can't believe it.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

i gotta learn kung fu soon.

Back
Top Bottom