What's new

I consider it an insult to celebrate Republic Day: former Indian judge

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Home / World / I consider it an insult to celebrate Republic Day: former Indian judge
By Web Desk
January 26, 2017
Latest : World
l_181852_101017_updates.jpg

NEW DELHI: A former judge of the Indian Supreme Court and the former Chairman, Press Council of India, Markandey Katju, said on Thursday that he regarded celebrating Republic Day or Independence Day in India as an insult.

Markandey Katju, a retired Indian Supreme Court judge, is known for voicing his opinions on social issues in India via blogs and opinion pieces. On the occasion of India's Republic Day, the former judge took to social media and shared a lengthy post in which he described celebrating the event as an 'insult to my people'.

"What is there to celebrate about? has poverty been abolished in India? Has unemployment been abolished? No? Then what are the celebrations, parades and flag hoisting about?" he said. "I regard it as a cruel farce and an insult to my people to celebrate when over 75% of the 1.25 billion Indians are living in horrible poverty," he wrote.
View image on Twitter
C3EUgEHW8AAoJ4B.jpg:small

Follow
Markandey Katju @mkatju

#RepublicDay celebrations

6:43 AM - 26 Jan 2017

Terming it all as a 'farce', Katju stated that people can partake in it all they want but should not expect him to join. He concluded his message by stating that he would celebrate the occasions when every Indian is living a prosperous life with a high standard of living. He stated that he knew it would be long after his death when that comes to pass.

"But on that day I will be showering flowers and rose petals on my motherland from the skies," he said.

inida will be an engine of global economic development after china, because of its potential market and vigorous labour force and intelligence resources.

Home / World / I consider it an insult to celebrate Republic Day: former Indian judge
By Web Desk
January 26, 2017
Latest : World
l_181852_101017_updates.jpg

NEW DELHI: A former judge of the Indian Supreme Court and the former Chairman, Press Council of India, Markandey Katju, said on Thursday that he regarded celebrating Republic Day or Independence Day in India as an insult.

Markandey Katju, a retired Indian Supreme Court judge, is known for voicing his opinions on social issues in India via blogs and opinion pieces. On the occasion of India's Republic Day, the former judge took to social media and shared a lengthy post in which he described celebrating the event as an 'insult to my people'.

"What is there to celebrate about? has poverty been abolished in India? Has unemployment been abolished? No? Then what are the celebrations, parades and flag hoisting about?" he said. "I regard it as a cruel farce and an insult to my people to celebrate when over 75% of the 1.25 billion Indians are living in horrible poverty," he wrote.
View image on Twitter
C3EUgEHW8AAoJ4B.jpg:small

Follow
Markandey Katju @mkatju

#RepublicDay celebrations

6:43 AM - 26 Jan 2017

Terming it all as a 'farce', Katju stated that people can partake in it all they want but should not expect him to join. He concluded his message by stating that he would celebrate the occasions when every Indian is living a prosperous life with a high standard of living. He stated that he knew it would be long after his death when that comes to pass.

"But on that day I will be showering flowers and rose petals on my motherland from the skies," he said.

He is talking. But he would be doing something if he can get India to provide for its people instead of buying weapons or doing fake surgical strikes.

He is not only retired judge but also retarded judge :-)

Yes, what's the point of celebrating when India can't even afford to feed it's army.

:lol: Says a person whose country is 1/10th of India's GDP.

Doesn't matter, they are still able to feed there Army and really well , and There Generals gets 100's of acres of prime land after service .... our Generals could not even think in dreams that the institution they belong too will have a nation to server them.

We should know our limits mate.

Doesn't matter, they are still able to feed there Army and really well , and There Generals gets 100's of acres of prime land after service .... our Generals could not even think in dreams that the institution they belong too will have a nation to server them.

We should know our limits mate.

they are still able to feed there Army and really well

I doubt, India spends 18000 USD on one solider a year while Pakistan spends 7000 USD on each their solider a year

It is one thing to spend on a Jawan and give lots of free land to a retired armed general

Yup, but still the Islamic Republic does not have third of the world's poorest people living in just one country.

:lol:
Look at the GDP per Capita. By nominal an average Indian earn $300 a year more than a Pakistani, and by PPP an average Indian earn $1300 a year more than a Pakistani.

:lol:
Look at the GDP per Capita. By nominal an average Indian earn $300 a year more than a Pakistani, and by PPP an average Indian earn $1300 a year more than a Pakistani.

You can spin it whichever you like but India has third of the poorest people in the world living in the country or more poor people than all of Africa put together.

Your ten times bigger Nominal GDP can't even afford to feed its own army. Maybe it has something to do with India's $480 billion external debt?

I used to consider you one of the smart Indians on PDF, boy I was wrong

I used to consider you one of the smart Indians on PDF, boy I was wrong

There is a correlation between the cumulative GDP and spending on its armed forces. Even if an average Indian is similar to an average Pakistani in lifestyle and spending. The cumulative GDP gives India the edge while spending on its armed forces. India spends $50 billion dollars on a 1.3 m strong armed forces, while Pakistan spends just $8 billion on an army that is half the size of Indian armed forces. So cumulative GDP is a better measure on well off an armed force are.

There is a correlation between the cumulative GDP and spending on its armed forces. Even if an average Indian is similar to an average Pakistani in lifestyle and spending. The cumulative GDP gives India the edge while spending on its armed forces. India spends $50 billion dollars on a 1.3 m strong armed forces, while Pakistan spends just $8 billion on an army that is half the size of Indian armed forces. So cumulative GDP is a better measure on well off an armed force are.

apparently India is spending most of $50 billion on import of weapons while soldier going hungry, there should be no pride is admitting $50 billion expenditure considering the size of India

apparently India is spending most of $50 billion on import of weapons while soldier going hungry, there should be no pride is admitting $50 billion expenditure considering the size of India

Don't form an opinion on 'soldier going hungry' based on a video. Those soldiers work in remote and inhospitable conditions, and some times getting food there is hard. Though I am a civilian, I studied in an army school. As students, we used have access to many of the places in army garrison, including their canteen. I know how they are feed.

As imports, India spends more in imports on absolute terms because India has one of the largest armed budget. Pakistan is at fourth after India, China, and Saudi Arabia on absolute terms. So comparatively Pakistan spends similar proportion to India on its imports.

Last edited:
This is really stupid of the Pakistanis to form an opinion based on one video. Army canteens, I repeat, Armed Forces Canteen, is one of the best places to eat. One get's Chicken everyday along with egg.

Armed Forces have lots of base stations all over India and few of them, food might not be good or there might be corruption from officers. But to term Indian Army is hungry, tells us about the intellectual capability of the Pakistanis. The one in video is BSF and its strictly not Army. I feel sorry for those in Siachen where only Tin foods are available. In 95% of Army camps, food is proteineous if not delicious.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom