What's new

I can answer questions about China and help you understand our country

On a more cultural question, I greatly enjoy wuxia (historical swordfighting series) from China, including the Jin Yong novels (Condor Heroes, Duke of Mount Deer, Smiling Proud Swordsman, etc).

Is there a reason why after the 2000s, chinese seem to gravitate from wuxia to xianxia (fairy swordfighting)? I can't relate to xianxia much myself because the fighting gets ridiculous and most of the plot are about fighting demons or fairy and train yourself in Mount Tai for 1000 years.

Nowadays, I can barely find wuxia TV series, why is this?

In fact, the mainstream of traditional Chinese novels is XianXia novels, such as <西游记>,<山海经>,<金瓶梅>,<搜神记>,<聊斋志异>,<封神演义> and so on.
WuXia novels are actually a branch of traditional Chinese novels, which are mainly popular in Guangdong and Hong Kong.
Because in the late Qing Dynasty, the Guangdong 10-tigers represented by Huang Feihong influenced the local Chinese people's worship of martial arts.
In recent years, the influence of the mainland has surpassed that of Hong Kong, so XianXia novels have become the mainstream again.

In fact, the mainstream of traditional Chinese novels is XianXia novels, such as <西游记>,<山海经>,<金瓶梅>,<搜神记>,<聊斋志异>,<封神演义> and so on.
WuXia novels are actually a branch of traditional Chinese novels, which are mainly popular in Guangdong and Hong Kong.
Because in the late Qing Dynasty, the Guangdong 10-tigers represented by Huang Feihong influenced the local Chinese people's worship of martial arts.
In recent years, the influence of the mainland has surpassed that of Hong Kong, so XianXia novels have become the mainstream again.
Since when <金瓶梅> is a XianXia novel?

Journey to the West and Feng Sheng Bang, I agree. But even then, these novels are built on a historical background and meant to portrait real history (like how Buddhism in China, and why the Shang is transferred to Zhou).
But I don't think Jin Ping Mei is Xianxia, it's a (sexual) spinoff of Shui Hu Zian. And Liaozhai is like a collection of ghost stories.

Still, all of these have historical backgrounds and are used to explain some of the events behind them.

I feel their modern equivalence, like Mo Dao Zu Shi, is purely fantasy and hard to get attracted to.

Chinese people generally dont believe in life after death?

One thing is goes to church and another thing is believe in eternal life after dead.

I can't believe they are generally and really atheists.

When most of them they think this thing can bring success to their bussiness:

XgpXIhg4pL5V.gif
Most Chinese are neither atheists nor religious. They just pick whatever seems to be reasonable to believe, most of which come from traditions where Buddhism and Taoism have the biggest impression. The waving cat is one of them and it likely originated from the southern China where people were richer. Even that belief isn't wholehearted. It is as if pragmatism is the actual belief.

Therefore, I would say that most Chinese believe in life after death but this belief is very vague, fragmented and indefinite, unlike how true religious people believe.

wtf, Why have you all read this book!
This is just an adult novel 400 years ago.
Uh, they make like 5 movies about it. All of these novels have adaptations in TVB.

Now if you talk to me about modern xianxia novels, I won't know what you are talking about. That's kinda the point I was making.

On a more cultural question, I greatly enjoy wuxia (historical swordfighting series) from China, including the Jin Yong novels (Condor Heroes, Duke of Mount Deer, Smiling Proud Swordsman, etc).

Is there a reason why after the 2000s, chinese seem to gravitate from wuxia to xianxia (fairy swordfighting)? I can't relate to xianxia much myself because the fighting gets ridiculous and most of the plot are about fighting demons or fairy and train yourself in Mount Tai for 1000 years.

Nowadays, I can barely find wuxia TV series, why is this?
Let me take a crack at it. I would say that the popularity of WuXia series was pretty much inline with the burst of great novels in this genre. But like all great works, they appear as if something random. You cannot expect a steady stream of them coming out every year. People will get used to them and move on to something else more exciting.

Uh, they make like 5 movies about it. All of these novels have adaptations in TVB.

Now if you talk to me about modern xianxia novels, I won't know what you are talking about. That's kinda the point I was making.
Do you know where to download these five movies?

wtf, Why have you all read this book!
This is just an adult novel 400 years ago.
Men with overflowing testosterone may naturally treat this novel as an adult novel. But for older folks, it is a great novel that describes the societal complexity with an artful stroke, no less than the "Dream of Red Mansions".

Do you know where to download these five movies?
Uh, I don't know if it's illegal here, but you can search Wikipedia names for these movies and torrent/pirate them.

Jin Peng Mei is infamous because all these movies are basically Cat 3 sex movies.
Let me take a crack at it. I would say that the popularity of WuXia series was pretty much inline with the burst of great novels in this genre. But like all great works, they appear as if something random. You cannot expect a steady stream of them coming out every year. People will get used to them and move on to something else more exciting.
I truly believe Jin Yong was one of the greatest authors in the modern age, comparable to the J.R.R Tolkien in the West for his prose, poetic, characters and world building.
That's why his stories are famous all over Asia, kinda like LOTR in the West.

Most Chinese are neither atheists nor religious. They just pick whatever seems to be reasonable to believe, most of which come from traditions where Buddhism and Taoism have the biggest impression. The waving cat is one of them and it likely originated from the southern China where people were richer. Even that belief isn't wholehearted. It is as if pragmatism is the actual belief.

Therefore, I would say that most Chinese believe in life after death but this belief is very vague, fragmented and indefinite, unlike how true religious people believe.
Uh, I don't know if it's illegal here, but you can search Wikipedia names for these movies and torrent/pirate them.

Jin Peng Mei is infamous because all these movies are basically Cat 3 sex movies.
but you saw all the 5 movies. I guess you're trying to better criticize to Cat 3 sex movies..

Last edited:
So you saw all the 5 movies? I guess you're trying to better criticize to Cat 3 sex movies..
Not all, but I have the 2 modern ones. The older 90s one seems very hard to find.

And I'm fine with Cat 3 sex movies, some are sexy, and some are hilarious.

Men with overflowing testosterone may naturally treat this novel as an adult novel. But for older folks, it is a great novel that describes the societal complexity with an artful stroke, no less than the "Dream of Red Mansions".
Many Chinese think it was written by Wang Shizhen, defense minister of the Ming Dynasty.

And you know China too well. Luckily modi didn't hire you as a consultant

Back
Top Bottom