What's new

Hubble captures a sign from God

TruthSeeker

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
United States
Is this incredible thing in heavens a sign from God?

Posted: February 17, 2010
8:39 pm Eastern

By Joe Kovacs

The Hubble Space Telescope has observed a mysterious, X-shaped debris pattern and trailing streamers of dust that may have been the result of a head-on collision between two asteroids.

While scientists don't think it's a comet, they're not exactly sure of the precise origin of the incredible object soaring some 90 million miles from Earth, snapped just a few weeks ago by the Hubble Space Telescope.

"I've seen thousands of astronomical images over my career, but this is one of the few absolute jaw-droppers: A flying X-pattern with trailing streamers," said Ray Villard, a contributing writer to Discovery News. "Whatever it is, nothing quite like it has ever before been seen in the heavens."

Even the experts who study celestial phenomena seem somewhat perplexed.

"We're still trying to really figure out what it is," University of Arizona planetary scientist Jim Scotti told National Geographic. Scotti is on a team observing the object from the Kitt Peak National Observatory outside Tucson.

Some think the mysterious space object has a shape similar to that of a gunship depicted in the 1984 movie, "The Last Starfighter."

"The truth is, we're still struggling to understand what this means," comet expert David Jewitt at UCLA told Britain's Daily Mail. "It's most likely the result of a recent collision between two asteroids."

If it is indeed the result of such a collision, it would be the first time astronomers have gazed upon the immediate result of such a crash.

The official statement from America's space agency indicates:

NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has observed a mysterious X-shaped debris pattern and trailing streamers of dust that suggest a head-on collision between two asteroids. Astronomers have long thought the asteroid belt is being ground down through collisions, but such a smashup has never been seen before.

Asteroid collisions are energetic, with an average impact speed of more than 11,000 miles per hour, or five times faster than a rifle bullet.

"If this interpretation is correct, two small and previously unknown asteroids recently collided, creating a shower of debris that is being swept back into a tail from the collision site by the pressure of sunlight," Jewitt said.

The discovery of the object, officially known as "P/2010 A2," is sparking some chatter concerning a possible biblical message regarding end-time scenarios, as well as other theories.

"With 2012 doomsday hysteria building, this might get attention on the Internet as yet another omen of the 'End of Times,'" notes Villard. "Those who've overdosed on Nostradamus might see a flying Star of David, or a pentagram."

Is this incredible thing in heavens a sign from God?

the universe is full of unending mysteries amazing pic

it some what looks like a fake image

Last edited:
Hindus will proclaim its a Shiva's Trishul

Christians may say its Satan's Trident

Quakers will say Its a sign from God, Quake rules and Half Life sucks.

I dont know if its god sign or not but it sure is SPECTACULAR!!!!

I love this!!!

Back to being serious, But you did not mention what Muslims world react to this.

I really wanted to know, what this sign means???

It has to be something, since it does incorporates major part of religion!!!!!!

I love this!!!

Back to being serious, But you did not mention what Muslims world react to this.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

It is a just sign of his master creations! :agree:

Fighter

I love this!!!

We do not have any signs by religion for your Information only.

The Crescent sign is just a popular Tradition and it has no religious authentication. :)

It proves that your knowledge about Hinduism is nil.

We believe in "Nirgun" and "Sagun".

We do not have any signs by religion for your Information only.

The Crescent sign is just a popular Tradition and it has no religious authentication. :)

This is no excuse.

If ISLAM does not have any religious symbol/signs then why use something in name of tradition.

If someone follows something in name of tradition, ritual, fashion or any other excuse then he is doing something Unislamic.

I love this!!!

In Islamic symbolism = means A BIG FAT NOTHING :)

In Islamic teachings = (IF ITS NOT A FAKE then) signs of the wonderful artistic creations of God! :)

THIS IS NO EXCUSE

If ISLAM does not have any religious symbol/signs then why use something in name of tradition.

@ the capitals: :woot: WOW! cool down buddy! :what:

why are you so angry??

the Suljuk Turks used it for the first time, and since they had to face the continuous onslaught of Christian Europe, especially the French, the Europeans made it their duty to recognize it as a symbol for Islam! (the crescent that is)

We didnt choose it for ourselves! they gave it to us! without even asking :frown: :lol:

symbolism doesnt exist in our religion, but as far as banners go,

this is not the first or the last..........SO :undecided:

Let me see 10 commandments --

"4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

Ehm ... ist not just Islam but Christianity also says the same thing :cheesy:

Oh ... oh different we all are indeed

This is no excuse.

Who the heck are you to determine ?:disagree:

Its not Prohibited nor allowed so we do use Crescent as a distinction , more like a Islamic cultural symbol .

If someone follows something in name of tradition, ritual, fashion or any other excuse then he is doing something Unislamic.

A non muslim defines what is right and wrong for muslims :woot:

I dont know why do you guys poke your Nose everywhere !

:pakistan:

It is true that the symbol of the Crescent has no direct meaning in Islam. However, the Islamic Calendar is a lunar calendar, where the months are 29 or 30 days long and are determined by looking for the "new moon".

Hence, the Crescent provides a convenient symbol. It is not un-Islamic to adopt a symbol, it is un-Islamic to say that the symbol represents Islam or God.

That said, I'm sure TruthSeeker's intent was not to start a debate over symbolism in religion. He merely shared with us something interesting he found on the internet. If you guys want to see more examples of the Wonders of God present in this Universe, see the following:
http://www.oddee.com/item_63760.aspx

If you're like me and have a keen interest in Astronomy and Cosmology, you must bookmark this website:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It is true that the symbol of the Crescent has no direct meaning in Islam. However, the Islamic Calendar is a lunar calendar, where the months are 29 or 30 days long and are determined by looking for the "new moon".

Hence, the Crescent provides a convenient symbol. It is not un-Islamic to adopt a symbol, it is un-Islamic to say that the symbol represents Islam or God.

That said, I'm sure TruthSeeker's intent was not to start a debate over symbolism in religion. He merely shared with us something interesting he found on the internet.

fully agree with you, sir

crescent is not the same as cross in Christianity!!

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom