What's new

How Hindutva is squashing free speech

Yes , you have the freedom to publish anything you want but people should not have the freedom to legally protest ? Hypocrisy much ?
Freedom to protest, and the freedom to jail somebody are two entirely different things. You are deliberately missing the point now, even after me repeatedly saying that I disagree with the text of the law.

They can also take legal action to send somebody to jail for homosexuality in India. They can take legal action to send somebody to death for homosexuality in Uganda. By your logic they will be completely okay.
Your post assumes that the law is infallible, so legal actions are reasonable. I am arguing that Indian free speech laws themselves are a sham.

Doniger's book was not banned. Publisher withdrew it instead of facing court case. And it was not a case of hurting religious sentiment, but of printing patent falsehoods.

Doniger's book was not banned. Publisher withdrew it instead of facing court case. And it was not a case of hurting religious sentiment, but of printing patent falsehoods.
I am OK with even printing patent falsehoods, as long as that falsehoods do not target and lead to a measurable loss for a living individual.
By your logic most of the religious books should be banned - patent, demonstrable falsehoods are present in all of them.

I am OK with even printing patent falsehoods, as long as that falsehoods do not target and lead to a measurable loss for a living individual.

Why even print patent falsehood ? why be ok with writing a book which is full of false theories and history ? You want writers have the freedom to write patent falsehood but you don't want the people on the receiving end to protest ??

By your logic most of the religious books should be banned - patent, demonstrable falsehoods are present in all of them.

If someone wants to print falsehoods, he/she should print it under label of fiction, not research work on History.

God you are incredibly dumb, do you not understand English ? A person has the freedom to legally attack or ask for a ban of any book under the constitution. If you want to take that right away from a person it only proves how much you value freedom of speech when you are on the receiving end.
I actually am. So please explain in simple terms why this book is so offensive. The legal matters come later. I have never said that you don't have the right to protest. But what exactly are you protesting against here?

I actually am. So please explain in simple terms why this book is so offensive. The legal matters come later. I have never said that you don't have the right to protest. But what exactly are you protesting against here?

Yes you certainly are dumb and not to mention you have the inability to comprehend English as well. I am protesting against your disagreement of a persons ability to protest against the book within the constitutional rights given to them.

Yes you certainly are dumb and not to mention you have the inability to comprehend English as well. I am protesting against your disagreement of a persons ability to protest against the book within the constitutional rights given to them.
Ugh...? Come again.
Anywho, looks like you didnt read my post carefully. Here's what I said previously " I have never said that you don't have the right to protest." Since the thread is about protests against this particular book, I just asked, what and why are you supporting the protesters against the book? What in that book so inflamed the Hindutavavadi passions?

Ugh...? Come again.
Anywho, looks like you didnt read my post carefully. Here's what I said previously " I have never said that you don't have the right to protest." Since the thread is about protests against this particular book, I just asked, what and why are you supporting the protesters against the book? What in that book so inflamed the Hindutavavadi passions?

:hitwall: That is the only thing i have been saying for past 3 pages, they have the right to protest. I haven't said anything for or against the book in this entire thread :lol: I am supporting the protesters freedom to protest not be kept quiet by somebodies whims. Seculars seem to be butthurt for no apparent reason.

Yes comparing a legal action to 12 people brutally killed in france is like comparing a grenade with a nuclear bomb . You seculars are pretty desperate when it comes to comparing Hindus with Taliban. You people come up with the most stupidest of reasons.
France??
Did I even mention France??
"You seculars"??
I dont speak on behalf of others here.
Did you call me Stupid for I dont support the cause??
Just because I'm a hindu, dont expect me to support every ludicrous protest any random hindutva grp carries out. I would 've supported 'em had Perumal sullied hinduism in his book. But here these ppl 're making a mountain out of a mole hill.And if educated ppl like you would support 'em then it would only encourage 'em to carry out such protests in the future, and I vehemently oppose it.

Need to change the constitution first to increase the scope of "free speech" in India. Otherwise, this can't be considered as squashing free speech but stopping hate speech.

France??
Did I even mention France??
You mentioned Taliban, not much of a difference

"You seculars"??
I dont speak on behalf of others here.
Did you call me Stupid for I dont support the cause??

No, i said stupid reasons and trying to make a comparison of Taliban with people taking legal course is stupid.

Just because I'm a hindu, dont expect me to support every ludicrous protest any random hindutva grp carries out.

You don't need support the protest, you need to support their freedom to protest, which is what i am doing.

I would 've supported 'em had Perumal sullied hinduism in his book. But here these ppl 're making a mountain out of a mole hill.And if educated ppl like you would support 'em then it would only encourage 'em to carry out such protests in the future, and I vehemently oppose it.

As long as protests are peaceful and does not turn violent there is nothing wrong.Even Muslims have the right to protest as long as they do it peacefully within the confines of the constitution. Hindus Protested against PK , court disagreed. Did we go Taliban on everyone ? Then why make such a comparison? Why are you people so desperate to compare Hindutva to extremism or terrorism? Seriously you people need the flimsiest of reason to target Hindus or "Hindutvadi" as Taliban or extremist and yet when we can't talk back.

this can't be considered as squashing free speech but stopping hate speech.

That is a very very thin line , nobody knows where it starts or stops...

That is a very very thin line , nobody knows where it starts or stops...
That is because of law and constitutions are fckd up. They wanted to appease minorities and now majorities are taking the cue. Be more violent and you will not be punished and your demands will be met - simple.

That is because of law and constitutions are fckd up. They wanted to appease minorities and now majorities are taking the cue. Be more violent and you will not be punished and your demands will be met - simple.

Where does free speech stop and hate speech begin ? Should we allow hate speech for the sake of freedom of speech ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom