What's new

How France and Saudi Arabia are arming Lebanon

I don't think France is going to do something which goes against its interests to please this and that.

As for the equipment, keep in mind that this kind of support won't be as lethal as many people would expect but to ensure that the country won't repeat the same scenario of the 80s.

The world and certainly Israel are seeing it in a different way, and are paying attention.The Hizbollah went from a local defense militia to a full fledge force that can take the war to its enemy. In Syria, the Hizbollah gained a strong combat experience in today's ant-terrorist warfare, that few world armies posses.
The equipments to be furnished by the French, will certainly boost the Libanese army's capability, but it want to change the balance of power by any means.
To the death of the assassinated Hizbollah commander, Nasrallah replied by eliminating one of the most prominent pro-Saudi to KSA. For the arm deal, two factor played. One KSA , needed a support for her effort to combat and defeat the SAA and the Syrian regime who are rolling back the wahabi financed and armed rebellion, after they lost the support of the US in her perillous adventure. And the second factor is that France is on the verge of bankruptcy and needed some breathing room ...

It does look like it payed off... She kept her nuclear program intact, got some of the restriction lifted, and the courtship between Rohani and the west is still making the the first page of the world newspaper...We call that, a freaking success.

@al-Hasani .....

Beware of this man Yzd...he grills barbecue ribs somewhere in the middle of Texas.

He's not one of us ....until he eats this :devil::

OgYc4r11171126.jpg

LOL

I wish you two stopped your fight. @Yzd Khalifa seems like a good and friendly person. You might not agree with all the politics but aside of that you both sound like good young people. Let us leave the childish infighting. It makes us look like idiots.

The region does not need more of this.

LOL

I wish you two stopped your fight. @Yzd Khalifa seems like a good and friendly person. You might not agree with all the politics but aside of that you both sound like good young people. Let us leave the childish infighting. It makes us look like idiots.

The region does not need more of this.

Step one: he needs to get educated about the conflict and stop blaming Hamas for wars in Gaza even after thoroughly went after order of events with him.

This is a pre condition. In return I'll try to understand Saudi Arabia's political moves.

You are mediating all of this and I now invite Yzd to the negotiating table. :coffee:

@Yzd Khalifa

Step one: he needs to get educated about the conflict and stop blaming Hamas for wars in Gaza even after thoroughly went after order of events with him.

This is a pre condition. In return I'll try to understand Saudi Arabia's political moves.

You are mediating all of this and I now invite Yzd to the negotiating table. :coffee:

I don't agree with this if this is the case. Hamas and any other resistance groups inside Palestine have a right to protect themselves and their country from Israeli attacks.

Unfortuantely I can not do anything. You need to make peace. I can only speak.

Anyway I have to go study. A very important exam in 3 days and I have a bad feeling.

Cheers and take care.

Hey guys,

This is my first time on this forum so I don't really know if I should post here or not (sorry about that if that's the case). I found about this forum while I was searching for answers about France's recent decision to help the Lebanese army via Arabian funds.
See, I'm French and I'd like to know what do you people think of this news really, because to be honest it's kinda hard to find answers in French medias. I don't really know what to think about this.

Please keep in mind that I'm just a "basic" french citizen and it's sometimes kind of hard for us to understand why our country is making decisions like this one. Especially these days as my government and the previous one (starting with the recent Libyan war) seem to get a lot more envolved in other countries struggles than we were before.

So yeah, that's pretty much it. Just wanted to know what are your thoughts about France in general and it's foreign policies specifically.
Oh and if any of you guys wanted a translation from french to english I'd be happy to help! My english isn't that great but it should be better than "google translate"!

Have a good day, gents.

I forgot to tell that who even forced the Saudi Arabians to create blocs or actively counter the aggressive policy of Iran? Iran themselves.

I never said that it was a plan against Israel anyway which is a nuclear power and the superior military in the ME living on the welfare of the West. They are literary using cheat codes or on steroids compared to the rest.

I said that a strong Lebanese army is a bigger threat on the long run against Israel than a rag-tag militia like HizbAlShaitan whose leader is hiding in some basement together with his leadership.

They are no match for Israel anyway. Had it not been for the international community Israel could have utterly destroyed all of Southern Lebanon (literary) and then HizbAlShaitan would never be heard about again. You don't win wars with militias. The closest Israel have been to a defeat was when it was engaged by national armies.

Also once again. HizbAlShaitan has not touched Israel for 7.5 years. Instead they prefer to kill Muslims in Syria.

Of course it is against negative Iranian influence that does not belong in the Arab world. You don't think that Iran would counter negative Arab influence inside Iran?

Look, the reasons why Jannat-ul-Baqi was closed to general public due to the acts of certain sects is different from the actions of a nation. Iran is not going to forget Saudi support for the Iraqis in the ten year war... It was the Saudis and other Sunni states that supported Iraq in that war which led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands on both sides. So the bloc was already formed then or rather with the Arab league. The rivalry is not confined to Sunni-Shia but rather to much older Arab-Persian rivalry. . Essentially the Iranian effort to exert their influence is born out of their need to reassert themselves as a regional power... which has more to do with the resurgence of the Persian race rather than any actual religious tone to it. In effect, Saudi Arabia is only leading its Arab effort to keep the Persians at bay and there is no benefit of a strong Lebanese army vis a vis Israel.

Look, the reasons why Jannat-ul-Baqi was closed to general public due to the acts of certain sects is different from the actions of a nation. Iran is not going to forget Saudi support for the Iraqis in the ten year war... It was the Saudis and other Sunni states that supported Iraq in that war which led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands on both sides. So the bloc was already formed then or rather with the Arab league. The rivalry is not confined to Sunni-Shia but rather to much older Arab-Persian rivalry. . Essentially the Iranian effort to exert their influence is born out of their need to reassert themselves as a regional power... which has more to do with the resurgence of the Persian race rather than any actual religious tone to it. In effect, Saudi Arabia is only leading its Arab effort to keep the Persians at bay and there is no benefit of a strong Lebanese army vis a vis Israel.

Iran started the war with Iraq. Iran helped assassinate leading Ba'athi politicians in Iraq and they were behind a assassination attempt on Tariq Aziz in April 1980 who later became the minister of foreign affairs.

In April 1980, Iranian supporters attempted to assassinate senior Iraqi officials, including Aziz. Such attempts were one of the motives of the Iran Iraq war, which began the same year.[11]

The so-called "Islamic" revolution in Iran in 1979 was a movement that aimed at expansion. Still is to this very day if you notice. Such movements were not know in the Middle East at that time outside of MB which was banned at the time.

Their goal was Iraq due to its significance in Shia Islam (Karbala and Najaf) and the long-term aim was to attack not only Iraq or at least conquer it religiously so they could expand their Wilayat al Faqih system which even most Shias to this day and back then did not support let alone Sunni Muslims.

NOTICE, KSA and Iran when ruled by the Shah had no problems and even relatively warm ties. How do you explain this?

Hence the slogan "the road to Jerusalem goes through Karbala and Najaf".

They made no secret of wanting to control Makakh or Madinah even. Khomeini made a public statement on this.

KSA had to pick a side because Iraq did not pose any danger/had no ambitions of conquering KSA. Besides KSA and most Arab countries would always support a fellow Arab Muslim country over Iran.

Anyway the support was also exaggerated. It was financial and nothing more. Nobody was stopping Iraq from making peace with Iran and vice versa but they continued and we the neighbors had to pick a side.

Iran received support from many other states too, including Israel and a Arab states such as Libya and Algeria if I remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_support_for_Iran_during_the_Iran–Iraq_war

Your analysis is largely correct. Unfortunately.

Last edited:
Thanks. You kinda reinforced my point. I repeat, Israel does not know how to fight Hezbollah effectivel. They did not know it in 2006, which is why they bombed civilians blatantly (I hardly see that as a vicotry, but rather as an act of desperation). And they do not know it today.
Did they eliminate Hezbollah from Lebanon? Hardly no. Today Hezbollah is several times more powerful than it ever was.

Your conclusion is not correct. You can not say that Hezbollah is more powerful than before or even more powerfull than Israel , simply because it is a professional regular army (Israeli army) who face a group of fighters who use guerilla techniques , if you want a resistance group .Therefore from, you can not compare the power of the two belligerents.
Face to face against the Israeli army, Hezbollah has no chance of winning 0 % , and you know it . They have neither aviation nor vessels of war , nor tanks ...

I not defending Israel, it's just to show you that it is wrong to think that you think that's all :coffee:

I generally agree. This is just "another chapter" of Arabs - Persians mutual and never ending hostility.

The question of who started the war is honestly controversial.

My understanding on it is as follows: the Iranian regime made serious military provocative actions to Iraq (including artillery strikes on border towns). Then, the actual land invasion was made by Iraq.

It is confirmed, however, that Khomeini refused a cease fire after 2 years of the war – whereas Iraq accepted it. Khomeini was known for saying that the cease fire resolution on 1988 was, to him, like a drinking a cup of poison.

This brief BBC Article summarized it all: “So although Baghdad had started the war, it was Khomeini who prolonged it [for additional 6 years]”.

I must finally say that, it was next to impossible for KSA to support Iran over Iraq, for every conceivable reason you can think of.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4260420.stm

Hey guys,

This is my first time on this forum so I don't really know if I should post here or not (sorry about that if that's the case). I found about this forum while I was searching for answers about France's recent decision to help the Lebanese army via Arabian funds.
See, I'm French and I'd like to know what do you people think of this news really, because to be honest it's kinda hard to find answers in French medias. I don't really know what to think about this.

Please keep in mind that I'm just a "basic" french citizen and it's sometimes kind of hard for us to understand why our country is making decisions like this one. Especially these days as my government and the previous one (starting with the recent Libyan war) seem to get a lot more envolved in other countries struggles than we were before.

So yeah, that's pretty much it. Just wanted to know what are your thoughts about France in general and it's foreign policies specifically.
Oh and if any of you guys wanted a translation from french to english I'd be happy to help! My english isn't that great but it should be better than "google translate"!

Have a good day, gents.

Welcome to the club man! Don't feel bad about it.

This is just another episode of the Arabs - Persians 2000+ years longest pee competition.:lol:

Longest-Pee.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom