What's new

How do we make PDF better?

When PDF was founded, Flags were not manadatory so those who wished to hide their flags were allowed. But later things got complicated so we made it manadatory for those joining forum must choose a flag before the registration process is completed and we also enforced existing members to set their flags to correct location and nationality.

There were certain penalties if the rules were not followed so you will find very few members with fake identify on PDF. Those who still not have flag on their profile is because they joined before the rule of setting up flag was made manadatory.
Idea of current location and origin flag is good. It can be further improved by making current location dynamic and automatic.

@WebMaster @Oscar @Horus
Sir , i have suggestion why not PDF do panel discussions .
-select certain topic
-pic 5-8 knowledgeable members
-they debate on that topic
-no one else can post , atleast till the end of discussion

I am suggesting this because now a days most of the people posting either dont have or have limited knowledge . I and hopefully many others enjoy when someone from India & Pakistan are debating with valid points and not merely flinging dirt .
I hope you guys will consider .

@WebMaster @Oscar @Horus
-select certain topic

I am suggesting this because now a days most of the people posting either dont have or have limited knowledge . I and hopefully many others enjoy when someone from India & Pakistan are debating with valid points and not merely flinging dirt .
I hope you guys will consider .
I like this idea.
Will clearly improve a lot.
@niaz @fatman17 @araz @Dazzler @Slav Defence @The Eagle

I like this idea.
Will clearly improve a lot.
@niaz @fatman17 @araz @Dazzler @Slav Defence @The Eagle

Thanks for the tag Muhtaram, much obliged.

Good idea.

Furthermore, as far as I can understand it is about discussion by few slected members in a specific corner/section/subject or topic but almost every knowledgeable member/title holder is doing his/her best by participating in almost every thread in different topics.

Actually, issue we face that most of the habitual trolls with multiple fake IDs are roaming arround that are indeed causing more burden for moderators and damage to the members as well as the forum.

If a topic is discussed in a different section by selected members, as suggested above and then it is open for discussion to the rest, would still result in immature leg pulling.

IMO, we are actually facing troll flood that first of all every newbie is hell bent to open thread(s), then mostly are either one liners or trolling arround which is getting beyond control.

As a starter, beside the above suggestion, post count for opening thread(s) needs to be increased almost arround 500 or so posts and new comer wouldn't be able to share a post with less then, to say, 300 or 4 or 500 characters that may help to get rid of one liners as well as help many to improve quality and more productive posting yet a new troll could be dealt by single post rather than reporting the consecutive one liner posts. Ultimately, bar of quality posting will be raised and almost every member will be paying more attention on quality and productivity.

(Please ignore any typo, using cell phone).

-select certain topic

I think Horus once tried something similar, but it petered out quickly as no one was interested in perpetuating such a closed discussion in any depth, so the topic would need to be chosen wisely to maintain interest from the discussing parties.

Who would we estimate are the knowledgeable members and in what topics? I genuinely interested myself. I don't usually read discussions outside of my areas of interest, which are admittedly limited, so I'm sure I miss out of a lot of good members.

Who does the forum consider knowledgeable and in what areas?

Furthermore, as far as I can understand it is about discussion by few selected members in a specific corner/section/subject or topic but almost every knowledgeable member/title holder is doing his/her best by participating in almost every thread in different topics.

This is a good observation people. The good members do their part to be good and help the forum maintain a level of quality by contributing their knowledge in a constructive manner. It's the host of "meh" members or trolls that kill the discourse.

Then again, without a bit of whimsy and moronic discussions from time-to-time things would get boring. Being too academia is just as bad at captivating people's attention as being to lax,

By knowledgeable i meant seniors , proffessionals whom everyone can vouch .

Topic of discussions can be any "Hot/Trending" topic on which everyother person open thread e.g IDEAS is coming

Furthermore i do agree with @The Eagle , they are doing what they can but if someone is intrested for every one post of those guys you have to go through 10 posts of trolls or non sense .

And atlast am thankful that you guys at least considered

Regards

Thanks for the tag Muhtaram, much obliged.

Good idea.

Furthermore, as far as I can understand it is about discussion by few slected members in a specific corner/section/subject or topic but almost every knowledgeable member/title holder is doing his/her best by participating in almost every thread in different topics.

Actually, issue we face that most of the habitual trolls with multiple fake IDs are roaming arround that are indeed causing more burden for moderators and damage to the members as well as the forum.

If a topic is discussed in a different section by selected members, as suggested above and then it is open for discussion to the rest, would still result in immature leg pulling.

IMO, we are actually facing troll flood that first of all every newbie is hell bent to open thread(s), then mostly are either one liners or trolling arround which is getting beyond control.

As a starter, beside the above suggestion, post count for opening thread(s) needs to be increased almost arround 500 or so posts and new comer wouldn't be able to share a post with less then, to say, 300 or 4 or 500 characters that may help to get rid of one liners as well as help many to improve quality and more productive posting yet a new troll could be dealt by single post rather than reporting the consecutive one liner posts. Ultimately, bar of quality posting will be raised and almost every member will be paying more attention on quality and productivity.

(Please ignore any typo, using cell phone).

I think Horus once tried something similar, but it petered out quickly as no one was interested in perpetuating such a closed discussion in any depth, so the topic would need to be chosen wisely to maintain interest from the discussing parties.

Who would we estimate are the knowledgeable members and in what topics? I genuinely interested myself. I don't usually read discussions outside of my areas of interest, which are admittedly limited, so I'm sure I miss out of a lot of good members.

Who does the forum consider knowledgeable and in what areas?

This is a good observation people. The good members do their part to be good and help the forum maintain a level of quality by contributing their knowledge in a constructive manner. It's the host of "meh" members or trolls that kill the discourse.

Then again, without a bit of whimsy and moronic discussions from time-to-time things would get boring. Being too academia is just as bad at captivating people's attention as being to lax,

By knowledgeable i meant seniors , proffessionals whom everyone can vouch .

Right. I get that part. But what I want to know is who knows what? We know a discussion or debate would need knowledgeable members, but who are they?

I'm a Professional 'round here, do you know my area of interest or expertise? This is something I want to know too, so I can engage the knowledge members in their areas of interest, rather then wading through piles of filth to find one jewel.

I can recognize a few like Penguin, but most other Professional members or well regarded Senior/TTAs? No idea, and thus I'm asking.

Sir i want to know is there a way , i can see the threads i have posted instead of all the content (posts plus threads ) .
Thank you .

Sir i want to know is there a way , i can see the threads i have posted instead of all the content (posts plus threads ) .
Thank you .
Go to your profile, click on 'postings'..scroll down and you will see two options 'Find all content by Curious guy' and 'find all threads by Curious guy'.
https://defence.pk/search/6433942/

You can make this forum better by the admin staff be more consistent on what constitute 'off topic' and its enforcement.

Reference this discussion...

https://defence.pk/threads/japan-sees-chinese-groups-backing-okinawa-independence-activists.469041/

I posted two sources that challenged the core of the issue, which is China claiming to 'own' Okinawa.

The first source was from the nationalinterest.com and the comment was that China claiming Okinawa was like Japan claiming Hawaii.

The second source was the New York Times and the question was China reclaiming Siberia.

Both times, my posts were removed. There was nothing off topic about them.

There is a double standard on interpreting what is 'off topic' and its enforcement with the Americans noticing for a long time that the Chinese group and Chinese issues are favored for protection.

Why is this 'on topic' ?

Funnier still is that it is a wall of nationalistic rant from a Viet ejaculating over white American achievements.

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/chengdu-...ews-discussions.111471/page-488#ixzz4U5YWsrZq
What does my origin have to do with aviation ? This is not the first time that the Chinese ganged upon race and racial issues when their main issue was challenged, and that their posts were not edited/removed.

The few American veterans on this forum have contributed to the quality of posts, in terms of technical knowledge and general military lore, grossly out of proportion to our numbers. And to a man, each of us experienced this kind of specious categorization of our posts as 'off topic' to protect special interests. At least two of us have left in disgust and two others opined that this kind of favoritism were factor on why they left.

To the admin staff -- be honest about your policies. :tdown:

You can make this forum better by the admin staff be more consistent on what constitute 'off topic' and its enforcement.

Reference this discussion...

https://defence.pk/threads/japan-sees-chinese-groups-backing-okinawa-independence-activists.469041/

I posted two sources that challenged the core of the issue, which is China claiming to 'own' Okinawa.

The first source was from the nationalinterest.com and the comment was that China claiming Okinawa was like Japan claiming Hawaii.

The second source was the New York Times and the question was China reclaiming Siberia.

Both times, my posts were removed. There was nothing off topic about them.

There is a double standard on interpreting what is 'off topic' and its enforcement with the Americans noticing for a long time that the Chinese group and Chinese issues are favored for protection.

Why is this 'on topic' ?

What does my origin have to do with aviation ? This is not the first time that the Chinese ganged upon race and racial issues when their main issue was challenged, and that their posts were not edited/removed.

The few American veterans on this forum have contributed to the quality of posts, in terms of technical knowledge and general military lore, grossly out of proportion to our numbers. And to a man, each of us experienced this kind of specious categorization of our posts as 'off topic' to protect special interests. At least two of us have left in disgust and two others opined that this kind of favoritism were factor on why they left.

To the admin staff -- be honest about your policies. :tdown:
mods are also guilty of going off-topic yet do not remove their own posts.

it is ok for some (specially mods, think tank analysts, and senior members) to abuse other people and their religions but not for the person being attacked to reply or defend his own.

i am not on gambit's side of the fence militarily and politically and won't take any pains to defend his right to say anything. but, he is more honest and factually correct in his posts than all but a handful of people here.

cherish these people before all of them leave us and this is left to be a forum for trolls not posting anything worthwhile and bashing certain nations and religions while muffling and censoring everybody else.

you won't learn anything if you shut down anybody not agreeing with you, whether you are right or wrong. i learn most when i answer a question i do not know the answer to, and even more when i only "think" i know the right answer to it.

we are getting free graduate-level lessons here; please do not squander the chance.

mods are also guilty of going off-topic yet do not remove their own posts.

it is ok for some (specially mods, think tank analysts, and senior members) to abuse other people and their religions but not for the person being attacked to reply or defend his own.

i am not on gambit's side of the fence militarily and politically and won't take any pains to defend his right to say anything. but, he is more honest and factually correct in his posts than all but a handful of people here.

cherish these people before all of them leave us and this is left to be a forum for trolls not posting anything worthwhile and bashing certain nations and religions while muffling and censoring everybody else.

you won't learn anything if you shut down anybody not agreeing with you, whether you are right or wrong. i learn most when i answer a question i do not know the answer to, and even more when i only "think" i know the right answer to it.

we are getting free graduate-level lessons here; please do not squander the chance.

You can create a thread in GHQ and name some trolls for mods to look after. That should help.

Back
Top Bottom