What's new

How come Indians don't speak Sanskrit anymore :(?

If not for anything else it would serve as a link language that is acceptable to all states without the grouse of having a link language that is not Indian. It could even be named as the national language.

Moreover it would reduce the dependence of many to study the scriptures without depending on ill-informed western transalated versions.

Sanskrit must be allowed to die. Because with it, dies a part of the Indian identity.

On the other hand, it might drive a wedge between the north and the south. And I fear that fissure much more than any religious fissure. The two systems are alien to each other. If you impose Sanskrit on the Dravidian language system, either those will wither or Sanskrit will change so much in those states alone that it will no longer serve as a link.

What a beutyful language..Common everywhere in Asia, from Tibet to Japan How come Indians don't speak Sanskrit anymore

Indians know how to write and read Sanskrit. As Sanskrit is compulsory language for CBSE (Central board of Secondary Education) in India minimum 3 years and maximum 7 years. There are about 12 million students studying from this board. I can infer at these students know Sanskrit. Apart from them, UP board also have compulsory subject of Sanskrit to be studied for 4 years.

I can say from my personal experience, in 8th standard in Sanskrit period we are supposed to talk only in Sanskrit (Hindi and English both were prohibited during this period). Though some of my friends choose to keep quite during this period :D

No. That is quite incorrect, and a huge source of confusion created due to the fact that Sanskrit experts know little about data structures and computer language structures, and computer scientists know little about Sanskrit, about grammar or about Panini.

Sanskrit per se is a language which is grammatically unnaturally clear, compared to other languages of that antiquity. The reason for this is that it was rigorously analyzed and its rules set down methodically by a genius known as Panini. His method of imparting information about grammatical rules included using data structures and recursion; this was several centuries before Christ!

If you know about data structures, if you know any block structured language from C onwards, you might be able to follow this on your own. Please say if you are ok with data structures and with languages that are relevant, and if you want to follow up the subject.

Read my comment above, in response to UDAY CAMPUS.

<Groan>

Loyalty is fine, misplaced loyalty can be lethal. Please read my post above, a response to UDAY CAMPUS, for a sketchy outline.

Quite correctly, as it happens.

You are positively dangerous.

Your first and third references more or less describe the befuddlement of western people confronted by linguistics bravos and fanboys, and I suspect you have not even read your second reference. It ridicules positions like yours.

Whether people from .4 or 5 villages still speak it or not is irrelevant. It is still a dead language.

May we disagree on this one? In the most friendly way, of course.

This is the only thing we have in common.

If there is any language that can suit more for computer programming it is Sanskrit. It may not be widely spoken one.
Sanskrit is more structure language compared to other languages.

If there is any language that can suit more for computer programming it is Sanskrit. It may not be widely spoken one.

I refuse to respond to this.

On the other hand, it might drive a wedge between the north and the south. And I fear that fissure much more than any religious fissure. The two systems are alien to each other. If you impose Sanskrit on the Dravidian language system, either those will wither or Sanskrit will change so much in those states alone that it will no longer serve as a link.

That is a foolish assessment.....just goes to show age does not necessary translate to wisdom.

I am a Malayalee and since I have studied Sanskrit in school. I can say with absolute conviction that Malayalam is a mix of Sanskrit and Tamil.

Not only does Malayalam have plenty Sanskrit words, the grammar is also influenced by Sanskrit. In fact both my parents were taught Sanskrit in school back in kerala. (30-50 years back) In fact I found sanskrit easy to learn since I already spoke hindi and malayalam.

To me as a CS guy, that statement is outrageously and outrightly incorrect. In order to become a successful(widely used) language, it needs to have syntax, declarations, scoping, binding, intermed. code and finally a way existing machines can understand (am not talking about Machine code but address instructions and the like). The correct way to put it is, it can become a common denominator by way of which all Natural Languages can be interpreted to remove ambiguity thereby making it truly context-free which only reduces the workload of the parser. In no way does it replace a known language with its numerous features as a ubiquitous language.

That is a foolish assessment.....just goes to show age does not necessary translate to wisdom.

I am a Malayalee and since I have studied Sanskrit in school. I can say with absolute conviction that Malayalam is a mix of Sanskrit and Tamil.

Not only does it have borrowed words, the grammer is also influenced by Sanskrit. In fact both my parents were taught Sanskrit in school back in kerala. (20-40 years back)

Of course there is a huge infusion of Sanskrit words in Malayalam. Everybody knows it.

How the grammar of one language system can be influenced by another is an intricate and long drawn out process, but it is unlikely to have been influenced by your parents having been taught Sanskrit in school back in Kerala (20 - 40 years back).

in this case, I am willing to stay with the universal agreement of linguists that Malayalam belongs to the Dravidian language family.

I do realize that the entire community of linguists may be wrong, and your contrary personal opinion may be right. That is a risk that the community, and I along with them, will have to face bravely.

To me as a CS guy, that statement is outrageously and outrightly incorrect. In order to become a successful(widely used) language, it needs to have syntax, declarations, scoping, binding, intermed. code and finally a way existing machines can understand (am not talking about Machine code but address instructions and the like). The correct way to put it is, it can become a common denominator by way of which all Natural Languages can be interpreted to remove ambiguity thereby making it truly context-free which only reduces the workload of the parser. In no way does it replace a known language with its numerous features as a ubiquitous language.

Obviously he doesn't have a clue what he was talking about and wanted to demonstrate his loyalty to the Indic Civilisation, and so on.

Similarities between Sanskrit and Programming Languages | uttiSTha bhArata

NASA on Sanskrit in artificial intelligence

http://www.vedicsciences.net/articles/sanskrit-nasa.html

I hope the above article answers your post.

so that means we would never have any national language :cry:

Large sections of the south do not learn Hindi. That's a fact.

If you dont speak it at home, and do not get to speak it in daily life on the streets, and in the markets, then national language kahe ka?

so that means we would never have any national language :cry:

It isn't easy, you know.

There are, not one, not two, not three, but FOUR language systems in use in south Asia. Other regions get short breath and panic attacks when there is more than one language involved, forget about language systems! The most complex is Switzerland, with four languages :-(

NASA on Sanskrit in artificial intelligence

I hope the above article answers your post.
Nope it has not even solved an iota of the concepts i studied in Compilers 101. Late binding and object pointers do not necessarily mean a complete programming language. For kicks, here is the original paper "glorifying" Sanskrit (Knowledge Representation in Sanskrit and Artificial Intelligence). Mind you, this paper talks about Sanskrit as NOT the next best thing after C or Java, but for effective KB representation, the way you do in certain Logic Programming languages (Prolog) or say in SQL (not entirely correct, but a close approximation).

It isn't easy, you know.

There are, not one, not two, not three, but FOUR language systems in use in south Asia.

The BIGGEST reason for me leaving out LANGUAGE while postulating my eligibility criteria for a CIVILIZATION:

BLOOD

FAITH

SOIL

P.S. Why do you say "South Asia"? Is India not enough?

Back
Top Bottom