What's new

How come Indians don't speak Sanskrit anymore :(?

All sections of south India who goes to school learns Hindi. That is a fact. Tamil Nadu is the only exception, but then again they dint even teach english there. Its only now that parents have started insisting their kids learn English and Hindi along with tamil.

In TN you have a choice of either learning Hindi/Tamil/Sanskrit.

As an optional language is different like the rest of India where (CBSE, ICSE) Hindia and English are compulsory.

That way in ICSE we learned Sanskrit as an optional till Class 7.

Once you reach the Board years (8-10) you drop Sanskrit.

So as I said, Sanskrit remains a ratta subject where you mug up the shlokas and their translations and get 90%.

Anything else is asked, you get 15%.

Is Hindi like that in the South?

I dont think so. The only people who might oppose it are the Tamils, for known reasons. And since I, am able to see the positives in that, I think many of my state men would also see the merits in that. The glory days of Brahmin hating (and by extension Sanskrit) are passe. I oppose and will oppose Hindi as the national language..but am quite okay with Sanskrit. There is no great unifier of people than language.

Moreover its only the lack of knowledge of sanskrit which makes the Indans dependent on the spurious western transalations for learning the scriptures. Once they are literate enough in that language they need not depend on them and can save many mis-communications, intended or otherwise.

It would be a herculean (with very dubious spin offs) effort.

Much easier to try for Hindi which is a colloquial street language.

With Sanskrit, the whole of India has to wrap its head around it.

With Hindi, its only pockets of the South. And India is comfortable is they do not.

Sanskrit is a dead language.

Academically, you can always have scholar etc. doing their PhDs in it.

But logistically for the nation, you choose something that has the best chance of success with the least bit of social re-engineering.

This is only true for some Academics.For normal Malayalees Tamil makes more sense than Sanskrit.This is quite evident by huge popularity of Tamil movies in Kerala.

I thought there were more potent standardizers, harmonizers, and unifiers than understanding what was being said.

I love Tamil and Mallu movies.

I understand bats-hit of whats being said in both. Not even if its Tamil or Mallu (or Kannada). :)

As an optional language is different like the rest of India where (CBSE, ICSE) Hindia and English are compulsory.

That way in ICSE we learned Sanskrit as an optional till Class 7.

Once you reach the Board years (8-10) you drop Sanskrit.

So as I said, Sanskrit remains a ratta subject where you mug up the shlokas and their translations and get 90%.

Anything else is asked, you get 15%.

Is Hindi like that in the South?

India needs a national language which can be easily spoken and understood by all parts of the country some modifications in our national language to suit all parts of country will be seen in future.

Today we see 20 to 30 % of english words in hindi that was in use.

Sanskrit is easy to learn and the sanskrit teachers usually are liberal with marks ( I got 94 out of 100 ).

Actually more than anything to do with Hinduism ( as we have already dozens and dozens of works, hymns etc in Tamil itself) its more to do with the link language and creating an unifying identity without stepping on anyone's toes.

We have a unifying identity that does not step on anybody's toes and has brought us together and kept us together.

Its our Civilization.

Whatever solution we come up with, will always be under that backdrop and overhang as the umbrella unifier.

Sanskrit is easy to learn and the sanskrit teachers usually are liberal with marks ( I got 94 out of 100 ).

Can you speak sanskrit?

Can you think in sanskrit?

If the answer to either one of those is No, then you never really learned Sanskrit.

You just aced an exam based on memorial regurgitation.

The science of linguistics is a complex one.

But I know that like culture, the way the spoken word evolves, is because of the sum total of all influences over the continuum of time.

Suddenly becoming a referee midway through and breaking the natural flow by imposing a common language (or trying to do so) is never going to work, except institutionally or academically, because that is all you can really control.

Like the rules of not speaking in Hindi outside the classroom during the tiffin break in missionary schools.

The written word is different. You can use any script to "write" a different language and stil get the meaning across.

Like us conversing here online by "writing" Hindi/Urdu in English.

Or the Persians/Iranians writing spoken Farsi in the (Perso) Arabic script.

I don't find that Sanskrit is worst; Actually Indians love the foreign things. like Foreign Wife (Sonia Gandhi) foreign things, foreign chocolates, foreign means white. Indians are slave of the White. they yet can not come out what the hell "Machole" put on their minds. Indians need to change mindset. Sanskrit is also one language what is wrong with it that to condemn and make joke of it.

Lord Machole had after the "Viplav" in 1857 journey in India for Three years he back to the parliament of briton and tell that "I journey in India for three years but I can not find any 'Beggar' or 'Thief', to change Indians need to separate from their Virtues of Hinduism and such Learning Methods. If it is done they will converted into the white with black skin.

after few years of English Education he wrote a letter to his family "I am satisfied that my work is giving results".

No need to say. Might be Indians will feel wrong that why to be rigid and love old language etc. But bros just give it respect. If not just use hindi in your marriage if u r still bachlour. tell any one come to u for 'Puja' to use hindi or local language.

Love thy Language. the videos in this thread will give u some Idea about it. If not 'Machole" was really intel guy who converted Indians into the English and who forget what is Respact and Honour of self things

one more thing in the Australia in Olympic they saw the "Adivasi Dance" why because that was the history. who forget thier history their geography is changed................

At the St James Junior School in London, the number of students wanting to learn the language has grown by leaps and bounds.

They should bring back Sanskrit in schools in India

Last edited by a moderator:
This is only true for some Academics.For normal Malayalees Tamil makes more sense than Sanskrit.This is quite evident by huge popularity of Tamil movies in Kerala.

What is a normal Malayalee? The gap due to decline of Malayalam cinema was filled up by Tamil, hindi, English and Telegu/Kanada dubbed into Malayalam. That does not mean Malayalees will run to learn tamil in school.

Of course, large parts of Malayalee Muslims and Malayalee Christians will be opposed to learning Sanskrit in school due to obvious existing bigotry. They would rather learn Arabic or French or worst case even Tamil rather than learn Sanskrit.

The same reason the hindu civilization lost control of the Indus River Valley. Military defeat and humiliation at the hands of foreign civilizations, especially conquerors like Timur, Ghazni and Babur.

History of the world is filled with civilization facing defeat at the hands of another civilization. No civilization has escaped that. If you believe your civilization has escaped influence of other civilization either by hard power or soft power you are living in a fools paradise.

It would be a herculean (with very dubious spin offs) effort.

Much easier to try for Hindi which is a colloquial street language.

With Sanskrit, the whole of India has to wrap its head around it.

With Hindi, its only pockets of the South. And India is comfortable is they do not.

Sanskrit is a dead language.

Academically, you can always have scholar etc. doing their PhDs in it.

But logistically for the nation, you choose something that has the best chance of success with the least bit of social re-engineering.

Sanskrit is more than just any other language. Its 'Sanskriti' i.e. civilization. Anything that strengthens our civilization does not qualify as 'dubious spin offs'.

Mumbai 'ghati' hindi is a colloquial street language, but does that mean one needs to learn it? Sanskrit as a second language will be more easily understand by a majority of Indians than Hindi.

The Huge corpus of Sanskrit literature in Buddhism/Hindusim/Jainism/Sikism and our social civilization roots in them will ensure that sanskrit never dies. This is the reason why, even though Sanskrit and its colloquial street brother Parkrit was not spoken widely for over 2000 years, its still strong in India. As long as our civilization exists, Sanskrit will always inspire interest and will survive.

Teaching Urdu to Pakistanis was social engineering, teaching Sanskrit to Indian is only an extension of our civilization.

History of the world is filled with civilization facing defeat at the hands of another civilization. No civilization has escaped that. If you believe your civilization has escaped influence of other civilization either by hard power or soft power you are living in a fools paradise.

Dude I think its also necessary to see that what is better or best and to choose the same thing not just there was a trend or attack of other culture. might be USA is looked everywhere as they are better but when rationally we can think that what is better what is wrong. there might be fashion of spike hair but if some one like simple and formal if those are better what is wrong.

Indian Languages on many counts better than else.
1 Our language script are based on the pronunciation. our each word we can speak we separate it and make one word and that is in our alphabets. none languages of other country has this quality. like if english No and Do has different pronounciation even N and D are followed by O not in Hindi, Sanskrit or any other Indian language.
2 we can speak any language of the world irespective we do understand because our alphabets include all words. the foreighner cannot speak La after H, or Na after dha.
3 we can write any thing which is spoken in the world in our language like stethoscope, but if u tell to write La after H, or Na after dha it is not possible for all other language.
4 our kids learn only alphabets not spelling like foreign languages. once we learn alphabets as vowels and conjunctions then we do not need to learn the spelling as our scripts are based on pronounciation.. the great science yr ahead. THERE IS NOTHING OFFICIAL ABOUT IT.
5 actually speaking the alphabets means the vowels and the conjunctions are estimately 40 x 12 means 40 conjunctions multiply with the 12 vowels is equal to 48 and plus vowels 12 it self, 50 worlds. so whatever speak and if separed each word of pronounciation that word is one amongst this 50.
6 those who know the Probablity of the mathematics if any word spoken has four word (of any language of word and pronounciation is separated from it) that will be 50 x 50 x 50 x 50 = ________ . so this is probablity and no one word of world languages are out of that. once u know this 50 pronounciation u know all the language of the world.
7 sanskrit is not hard but need some practice, its joy and fun like english is a funny language the sanskrit is also a funny language. so try to learn and enjoy and i will also try for that. needs to learn as fun rather than sanskrit study.
its neither old fashion nor headeache one just need is value of self and our culture. in which aspect Indians are different than foreigner.
8 After this all sanskrit is also not perfact for some languages like sign language and in one jungle people uses whistle for the language. how ever we know that any whistle is to tell something to a girl but in jungle of Malaysia(if i m not wrong) that would be not in language.

Back
Top Bottom