What's new

How come Indians don't speak Sanskrit anymore :(?

Obviously he doesn't have a clue what he was talking about and wanted to demonstrate his loyalty to the Indic Civilisation, and so on.
Do not be harsh on him. We are here to clear our misconceptions about something that is fundamental on computer programming whose building blocks have been so very carefully laid out through years of effort. One thing we do not want is mash up different concepts and thereby diminish our understanding about in what way can a "Natural Language" be truly powerful. NLP and the likes are an entirely awesome field wherein Sanskrit has complete potential to be exploited. But mistaking that for Computer Programming is a grave error. We do not want to go the "water car" way, do we ?

The BIGGEST reason for me leaving out LANGUAGE while postulating my eligibility criteria for a CIVILIZATION:

BLOOD

FAITH

SOIL

P.S. Why do you say "South Asia"? Is India not enough?

Actually, you're right. There was no need to talk about the rest of south Asia.

Nope it has not even solved an iota of the concepts i studied in Compilers 101. Late binding and object pointers do not necessarily mean a complete programming language. For kicks, here is the original paper "glorifying" Sanskrit (Knowledge Representation in Sanskrit and Artificial Intelligence). Mind you, this paper talks about Sanskrit as NOT the next best thing after C or Java, but for effective KB representation, the way you do in certain Logic Programming languages (Prolog) or say in SQL (not entirely correct, but a close approximation).

This is what i saying in my posts. Sanskrit is suitable language for AI related programming even though it is not widely used now a days.

Do not be harsh on him. We are here to clear our misconceptions about something that is fundamental on computer programming whose building blocks have been so very carefully laid out through years of effort. One thing we do not want is mash up different concepts and thereby diminish our understanding about in what way can a "Natural Language" be truly powerful. NLP and the likes are an entirely awesome field wherein Sanskrit has complete potential to be exploited. But mistaking that for Computer Programming is a grave error. We do not want to go the "water car" way, do we ?

Apologies to Sukhoi_30MKI. That was indeed very harsh.

so that means we would never have any national language :cry:

We do fine without it. Simply no point in starting trouble when it has all settled down. Just see the issue with the classical tag, the BJP guys thought that were being ingenious in promoting Sanskrit as the definitive classical language. The Tamilians thought that they finally had a chance to equate themselves with Sanskrit & pretend its a two horse race, only to have Kannada & Telugu barging in. What special status now? The more we try, the more we affirm the status quo while creating bad blood for no apparent gain.

Best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Of course there is a huge infusion of Sanskrit words in Malayalam. Everybody knows it.

How the grammar of one language system can be influenced by another is an intricate and long drawn out process, but it is unlikely to have been influenced by your parents having been taught Sanskrit in school back in Kerala (20 - 40 years back).

So you have accepted that there is huge infusion of Sanskrit words and grammar in Malayalam. Combine that with Hindu scriptures, it should be pretty obvious Sanskrit holds far far greater appeal to Malayalees than Tamil does. Its rather foolish of you to claim imposition of Sanskrit will create a north south divide. It appears to be some lame *** attempt to claim Sanskrit as the lingua franca of north Indians.

In fact, except for Tamil all other major south Indian language is more similar to Sanskrit than to tamil. So much for your ignorant argument.

Grammer of any language is always a intricate and long drawn out process. This is a rather obvious fact and your childish attempt to furnish it as some gem of wisdom is .....well typical Joe Shearer. Your desperate need to be acknowledged as a wise man of PDF is duly noted.

Fact that Sanskrit was taught in kerala schools 50 years back is direct evidence of the fact that Sanskrit holds more importance in Kerala than Tamil. In fact it was so well taught that my father went on to win a Gold medal in Sanskrit in Annamalai university almost 50 years ago.

Tantrasamgraha (Treatise on Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics) was written in Sanskrit in "KERALA" around 500 years back.

in this case, I am willing to stay with the universal agreement of linguists that Malayalam belongs to the Dravidian language family.

I do realize that the entire community of linguists may be wrong, and your contrary personal opinion may be right. That is a risk that the community, and I along with them, will have to face bravely.

I will over look this comment in recognition of your attempts at appearing wise in this forum. Maybe it compensates for other unfortunate area in your life.

Doc can you tell us similarities you see between Avestan and Sanskrit.

Bhai I am least qualified.

Dono ratta mar ke yaad kiya hai maine life mein.

But the sing song incantation of our priests and yours are eerily similar.

Even when you remove the havan/afardanyu bein tended to.

Maybe Joe will take a class or better still a tutorial some time.

After he has finished with malyalam of course .....

Large sections of the south do not learn Hindi. That's a fact.

If you dont speak it at home, and do not get to speak it in daily life on the streets, and in the markets, then national language kahe ka?

All sections of south India who goes to school learns Hindi. That is a fact. Tamil Nadu is the only exception, but then again they dint even teach english there. Its only now that parents have started insisting their kids learn English and Hindi along with tamil.

All sections of south India who goes to school learns Hindi. That is a fact. Tamil Nadu is the only exception, but then again they dint even teach english there. Its only now that parents have started insisting their kids learn English and Hindi along with tamil.

In TN you have a choice of either learning Hindi/Tamil/Sanskrit.

Back
Top Bottom