What's new

HK student leader Joshua Wong goes on hunger strike

ChineseTiger1986

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Joshua Wong, the teenage student leader in Hong Kong, has gone on hunger strike in an effort to galvanise the two-month old pro-democracy movement in the Chinese territory.

The 18-year-old, who was arrested last week, said he took the decision following Sunday’s failed student-led effort to boost the protests by surrounding government buildings.

“I cannot walk on the front lines of the street movement because of bail restrictions, so we will use our bodies to wake people up to our demands,” said Mr Wong.

He has been joined on hunger strike by two fellow members of Scholarism, one of the two student groups spearheading the protests.

Mr Wong’s move highlights a growing schism in Hong Kong’s two-month old pro-democracy movement. While he and other student leaders say the only way to maintain pressure on the Hong Kong government and Beijing is to continue to block the streets, others worry they are damaging the long-term cause by sparking public anger at their tactics.

Leaders of Occupy Central, the pro-democracy group that played a key role at the beginning of the protests before being eclipsed by the students, on Tuesday vowed to turn themselves in to the police. Benny Tai, Chan Kin-man and Reverend Chu Yiu-ming urged the students to clear the protest sites amid falling public support for the so-called Umbrella revolution – named for the umbrellas that protesters used as shields against tear gas.

“We are not abandoning the occupiers, said Mr Tai, a university law professor. “We are urging them to understand the fight for democracy is a long battle and we need to preserve energy to fight on in the long term.”

The protests were sparked by China’s move in August to introduce a controversial electoral reform plan in the former British colony.

China agreed to introduce universal suffrage for the 2017 election of Hong Kong’s chief executive, the top political role in the territory, but it refused to allow the public to nominate candidates, and included conditions that effectively allow Beijing to prevent critics from getting their names on the ballot.

CY Leung, Hong Kong chief executive, on Tuesday reiterated that the protesters would not persuade China to change course. When asked about the hunger strikers, he said the weather was turning cold and that he hoped they “can take care of themselves”.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/aa7e114a-79bc-11e4-9e81-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz3Kol4x7A4

joshuo wong is welcome to enjoy a hot bowl of pho, should he decide to take some food :yahoo:
here is the address in HK: Shop 303, 3/F, iSquare, 63 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
the war against chinese communist tyranny is a long way to go. don´t give up my friend.

00810AFE9BB0969412FAD0l.jpg

joshuo wong is welcome to enjoy a hot bowl of pho, should he decide to take some food :yahoo:
here is the address in HK: Shop 303, 3/F, iSquare, 63 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
the war against chinese communist tyranny is a long way to go. don´t give up my friend.

View attachment 160175

@Viet ,

How dare you post something about pho while not inviting me and offering me my favorite Pho Tai Gan Sach with Goi Cuon? :mad::angry::butcher:

@Viet ,

How dare you post something about pho while not inviting me and offering me my favorite Pho Tai Gan Sach with Goi Cuon? :mad::angry::butcher:
bro, if you follow yoshuo and fight against the tyranny, you are welcome, too :D
edit: I just read the menu: they offer great foods: viet cafe and great varities of goodies including this one dish you like, too.
00MWEBCB0E3915A5D6FC1El[1].jpg

Last edited:
if you follow yoshuo and fight against the tyranny, you are welcome, too :D

I don't want to fight against anyone, I just want free food!!!

Prepare me a bowl of pho or i'll run you through!

:lol::azn:

Please and Thank You.

View attachment 160175

Sure, the Vietnamese illegal in HK should only eat the Vietnamese food, not the Chinese one.

This guy is not even Chinese.

Sure, the Vietnamese illegal in HK should only eat the Vietnamese food, not the Chinese one.

This guy is not even Chinese.
illegal vietnamese in HK? joshuo is not chinese?
how do you know well about HK when you live in canada? dude, don´t consume too much ccp propaganda.

Oooo, Sugoi!!! What's this called? Looks damn spicy tho. Looks so good!

I just read the menu: they offer great foods: viet cafe and great varities of goodies including this one dish you like, too.
00mwebcb0e3915a5d6fc1el-1-jpg.160178

illegal vietnamese in HK? joshuo is not chinese?
how do you know well about HK when you live in canada? dude, don´t consume too much ccp propaganda.

lol, very few Chinese can produce his fugly phenotype, even @Nihonjin1051 thinks he doesn't look Chinese at all.

Even in the HK forum, people are dissing about his look.

lol, CPC has never denied his Chinese passport, but most ordinary Chinese simply cannot stand with his fugly face, since he is too fugly and alien to be Chinese.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom